Parhelia again?

PrzemKo

Newcomer
I don't know if that's pure coincidence, but i've seen similar sort of "info" from two sources. First, people at Hadrware.fr have posted short bit about mysterious 3D part, that's 2 times faster than GF4, and now i've just received newsletter from one of my local computer magazines with a little "teaser" about "not as fast as expected" Parhelia. Interesting part: both sources claiming, that they can't reveal more at this time, and both promising more info in about a month (French guys are talking about mid-may, and the magazine - June issue).

Does anyone have some sort of confirmation about that? (especially the performance - 2xGF4="not so fast"?)

link: http://www.hardware.fr/news/lire/17-04-2002/#4729

well, that depends...

theorically, it should be faster, but basically I think it will fall somewhere between 1.5 - 3 times of GF4Ti4600 depending situation...

Well - it's obvious that something is going on. Let's see... not ATI, nor nVidia, SiS and Trident also are not potential "surprises" anymore... and why do I feel that it isn't about Bitboys...3DLabs? well - Creative wants them here (inside home boxes, I mean), but not yet, IMO.

At least we have something to wait for. :)

San Francisco is close to silicon valley which is a great place to show an upcoming chip if you ask me & I think that Nvidia has an office down there.

S3 Graphics is a San Fransisco company. ;) ;) What'd I say in the "The third card?" post?

The pieces are falling together now. :D

Well Nvidia is in San Jose , but I serious doubt it would be advantageous to announce a new card for them since Geforce4 was just released a month or so ago (notice i say released not announced)

quote from NocturnDragon:

Here's something that's in San Francisco

NocturnDragon,I cant access that page.

Matrox USA office is in Florida,but 3Dlabs have office located in Sunnyvale, Texas, Washington State, Massachusetts, Arizona...

oh,both no office in SF... :(

MikeC hints:"I've received information from a reliable source that Anand's special trip may have been to get the scoop on an upcoming graphics card from either Matrox or 3Dlabs."

Kyle from HardOCP had this to say:
After being in San Francisco this week on a 36 hour quick turn around trip, we did find the excursion to be well worth our while. If this company, that we have not heard anything exciting from in a while, can "put their money where their mouth is" there are going to be quite a few folks out there in for a surprise.

If Matrox blindsides people this summer, I wonder if NVIDIA would start working on Fear/Mojo type cards. They would be cheaper than the rumored 256 bit that Parhelia might be.

I wonder - what happened, that so many companies have popped up with new and quite interesting hardware at this particular time? It seems that almost everyone (not counting PVR) is aiming at GF4 MX-level of performance at least - no one's having trouble witht fast clock, memory interface, pixel shaders, etc. Are there some new chip-design tools tailored for 3D cores, nVidia and ATI have slowed down or is it simply an effect of new wave of young EE engineers specialized in 3D? (1996 + 4 or 5 years at college and 1-2 years of developing new design)

Geeforcer said:
Why does everyone think that these San Francisco trips are regarding a graphics company?
Because Anand and Kyle flying to San Francisco for a day to visit the gay community seems a bit -errr- unlikely? ;-) :LOL: ;-)

Anand just wrote:

I just landed and felt the need to provide some closure (at least temporarily) to my last post. There are a handful of times where you see a product/technology that reminds you exactly why you are so interested in this industry. Product's like AMD's upcoming Hammer and others are perfect reminders to me of why I care so much about this industry and what fuels my passion. In spite of all of the tasteless politics that seem to plague our industry there are a few times when you really get a chance to see something that makes you smile. With that said I'll be quiet for a few more weeks and then there will be a lot to talk about.

...a few more weeks...

LeStoffer said:
...a few more weeks...

I hate when people do this, just a few days ago I was a happy camper with a Gainward GF4 on it's way, now I'm thinking of returning that card without even looking at it. *ARGH*

incurable, just remember Parhelia (specifically, the top-of-the-line model, which I'm guessing will be the only one with the much-rumored 19.2GB/s), will be very expensive. All signs point to a very fast card, but with a correspondingly high price.

Back