Samsung to release filterless LCD screens

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Samsung filterless LCD means faster responses, less power

And less expensive
By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 12 October 2005, 10:44
KOREAN CHAEBOL Samsung said it will intro a 32-inch LCD panel next week which doesn't need a colour filter.

And this means higher quality LCD panels at a lower cost, the company said.

The LCD panel uses a sequential processing method that can display accurate colour tones and pixels are not spatially arranged throughout, meaning a filter isn't needed.

Samsung said ordinary LCDs need a cold cathode fluorescent backlight and a filter to separate the white light from the backlight into RGB sub pixels.

The breakthrough, Samsung reckons, won't only mean better pictures, but also consumes 82 watts, 60 per cent of the power an average backlight consumes. It will also mean response times of 5ms or faster, Samsung claimed. µ

Interesting. Lot's of new technology developments in the LCD sector. Now all they need to do is lower the prices for large LCDs panels.

PC-Engine said:
Interesting. Lot's of new technology developments in the LCD sector. Now all they need to do is lower the prices for large LCDs panels.

Well *apparently* this will make blacks more black, allow for <5ms response times and give better colour. All for cheaper! :D

We love Samsung don't we.

PC-Engine said:
Looks like LCDs will eventually surpass plasmas in performance and price if this trend continues.

Well people were saying that ages ago, i just never really understood why they kept saying that. Obviously they knew that there's a lot we can do with LCD. Things like HDR LCD displays for examples.

Now, i only need to wait till all the rich early adopters buy all the stock and lower prices for me!

Well LCDs did surpass PDPs in some categories for a while now, but it seems it will surpass it in all categories in the next couple of years. This is similar to the BETA vs VHS technology race. BETA was superior initially but VHS eventually caught up technology-wise.

Then you have SED which will start to hit the market for the same prices and comparable performance next year. It's good to be a consumer.

dang... i just wanted to point that SED and this new LCD will fight next year....
looks like we might be getting really great screens for really nice prices....

less then 5ms response is great, even without all other enhancements...

FX5900 said:
CRT still owns LCD

Thanks.

Moving on, geo, they said they will be cheaper to manufacture, which obviously will mean they will cost more in the first months just because they're new... But they will come down in price...

PC-Engine said:
Can you get perfect convergence, perfect geometry, and perfect linearity from CRTs?
And dont forget the plus: space saving, lightweight and lower power comsumption.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 710N PC monitor replacing an not so old Sony Trinitron.
Trinitron has much better colours and deeper black level but IMHO the LCD pros outwheight the cons in my case (home office and casual gaming).

Looks like LCD have a nice postion in the two key markets PC monitors and HDTV. With all the money from these two markets the fast development curve is a natural consequence.

Last edited by a moderator:
DudeMiester said:
SED owns everything currently.

How can it own everything when it's not even out, has been delayed quite a bit, and is going to cost a few times over an (average) LCD panel of the same size (when it debuts)?

I'm all for SED but let's not jump the gun here.

In the short to mid term, imo it's likely to come down to LCDs using pulse modulated LED back lighting (imo current LED backlighting has too many draw backs ATM to be superior to good CCFL) and SED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the link from avsforum.
%281013%29LCD%203_l.JPG

Back