New 'ATI' slides showing marketing information, post X1000 launch

Just FYI, the title of this thread is not mine. A mod turned my post in the Inq stupidity thread into a new topic, hence the [T] references.

They'd have a point if I could actually buy an ATi card that beats the 7800GTX across the board. Or if I could buy a midrange card before the end of November. Or if they'd released their line up months ago. Or if they hadn't completely botched the Crossfire launch. Or if I couldn't point to driver releases of theirs which were full of unfixed bugs. Or if they didn't continually claim to be above NVIDIA's PR tactics, and then go and make these kind of presentations.

Roll. Eyes.

PaulS said:
Or if they didn't continually claim to be above NVIDIA's PR tactics, and then go and make these kind of presentations.

I don't have a problem with "these kind of presentations" in general, so long as they hit the public sphere in fairly short order, as this one apparently did (less than a week). They can then be critiqued on their own merits (or demerits) in individual cases by the community. Both companies are absolutely entitled to their own pov's and presenting those in public.

What drives me batty is when this sh*t is floating around in the background, impacting the talking points and thinking of our "opinion leaders" while Joe Public is left scratching our collective heads where certain ideas are coming from.

At least when they reliably get into the public sphere there is at least some incentive for the IHV's to consider backlash from being too extravagant/vicious in their claims. I suspect the emails we never see from PR departments are a whole lot more emotional/slanted than these things. . .

geo said:
What drives me batty is when this sh*t is floating around in the background, impacting the talking points and thinking of our "opinion leaders" while Joe Public is left scratching our collective heads where certain ideas are coming from.
While I don't mind this stuff at all really, I think you should contemplate whether Joe Public really has any idea at all about this crap. I can guarantee that the average person doesn't have any idea about the Nvidia crap, or about this presentation. Unless it was placed on the cover art of the box saying "ATI/NV told us to say this" then the average person would not be aware, so divuldging it serves little purpose beyond the inquisitive nature of those present at a site like this.

Sxotty said:
While I don't mind this stuff at all really, I think you should contemplate whether Joe Public really has any idea at all about this crap. I can guarantee that the average person doesn't have any idea about the Nvidia crap, or about this presentation. Unless it was placed on the cover art of the box saying "ATI/NV told us to say this" then the average person would not be aware, so divuldging it serves little purpose beyond the inquisitive nature of those present at a site like this.

Then who are they trying to influence with these things, and why? :cool: You can't have it both ways. Tho I think we are just in different context. I consider the natives (minus staff) of places like this "Joe Public", and the battle to win the hearts and minds there has an impact on enthusiast and upper-midrange sales, in my view, either directly, or as those folks become secondary opinion leaders of their own in their own circles.

Geo, that is fine, but Joe public is not on this website that is what I am saying. Joe public is walking thru bestbuy and sees a cover box with marketing check points on it from supposedly independent sources 'THG best hardware" and so forth.

The people here are the people that joe public asks what to buy and then buys something else anyway. :devilish:

So besides 7800GT's MSRP (which wasnt wrong to begin with) what else is wrong on those slides?

At least there's something wrong with the techpowerup page... it keeps reloading after a few seconds when viewed with Opera.

Claiming someone will do something and then debunking it "beforehands" is just poor style IMO. And the "24 pages of bug and errata notes" are kind of funny if you can read the titles in the screenshot. :LOL:

stevem said:
Guess what regularly turns up at OEMs & AIBs...?

I was thinking that at first. But the MSRP/StreetPrice comparison changed my mind. Why would OEM's care about that in the first place?

It is a stretch to claim that since you had high internal precision pixel shaders, you had HDR. The next to last slide is quite humorous. They list a bunch of rhetorical questions attacking NV and then say "Do not fall for their tactics". Whose tactics? NV? Or the rhetorical questions crossed out by the "Do not fall...." line, heheheh.

Hahaha, no, the wording of your post just reminded me of that comic :) I was totally focused on the bat.

geo said:
Huzzah whatsa? NV is failing SM3.0 tests? Is that still true? That was a few revs ago on the driver they are talking about there.

And I thot the shimmering thing was taken care of without much performance hit.

Otoh, it is a bit eerie how accurate these slides are so far as "the talking points" that we've been hearing from the green camp.

Edit: They ducked on RTF in these slides tho. Not a good sign. I'd much rather have seen them promise to address it in the drivers if developers ask for it.

The failing SM 3.0 is pretty much irrelevent these days. The 78.01 drivers at the very least dont experience this issue. And I'm fairly certain all newer drivers dont as well.

Yeah, it seems really bogus to be calling attention to an issue that occurred two driver generations previous, and has since been fixed.

geo said:
So you're saying NV is "powerful in life, unstoppable in death"? Typical.

:p
No 3dfx was powerfull in life and unstoppable in death. The rampage would have been better than the r520 thats how uber it was

Back