I've just come back from watching Serenity

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Damn good movie.
There was just me and 3-5 other people. I had the entire cinema to myself. :D

I also ate junk food.
I had a doughnut and a milshake.

Yeah, I saw it this last Friday. VERY very good. I left wanting to see alot more, too. Looking at how it's doing at the B.O. I don't think they'll do any others though. That's too bad.

BTW, the fight at the end, did it remind you at all of the Mines of Moria? (in a good way)

Is it actually a good movie, though, in it's own right? Or just the kind of thing that people who lap up any geeky sci-fi will say "rocks"?

Well, after 12 000 votes on IMDB it scored 8.6, which is very good. Then again, Blade Runner, that dull, badly acted, utterly tedious turd of a film is also rated highly because hardcore fans have pushed up the rating.

Same might be true for Serenity.

Diplo said:
Is it actually a good movie, though, in it's own right? Or just the kind of thing that people who lap up any geeky sci-fi will say "rocks"?
I loathe TV sci-fi. Stuff like Star Trek, Babylon 5, FarScape, Lexx ... it's all total garbage. Firefly however is in a completely different league.

Serenity doesn't seem to be doing too well in the US, but it's been getting very good mainstream reviews over here in Blighty. I suspect that because of fans there may not be a quick drop-off of the threatre audiences, and I'm sure the DVD will just sell bucket-loads as people finish off their DVD boxsets with the DVD of the movie.

Having never seen Firefly at all, I went to watch Serenity a couple of days ago. Some of the nuances in the characters were likely best explained by the series, but the film stood well on its own for someone just wanting to watch a good sci-fi flick, for me at least.

Really enjoyed it, now looking to watch Firefly if I can.

Fodder said:
I loathe TV sci-fi. Stuff like Star Trek, Babylon 5, FarScape, Lexx ... it's all total garbage. Firefly however is in a completely different league.

i feel the same way. i used to read alot of sci fi though. musta got saturated. course im not into B movie drama either these days. actually not into to movies much anymore, guess im past the designated demographic. (like when i thought my parents were clueless about what was important/cool)

anyway i've liked the serenity previews i've seen (which is saying alot). maybe i'll get it when it comes out on dvd.

Fodder said:
Yeah, I'm generally of the same mind - most TV sci-fi is awful. And, if I recall, 'Serentity' was advertised as coming from "the creators of Buffy" which hardly endears it to me. But if it's a good movie in it's own right then I will check it out. I did see IMDB gave it a good user rating but the same was true of 'Episode 4' (sci-fi geeks don't tend to be too discriminating ;) )

Fodder said:
BLASPHEMER!
Star trek TOS, TNG and DS9 are all excellent shows, with the best one being the original series.. spock++

Diplo said:
Yeah, I'm generally of the same mind - most TV sci-fi is awful. And, if I recall, 'Serentity' was advertised as coming from "the creators of Buffy" which hardly endears it to me. But if it's a good movie in it's own right then I will check it out. I did see IMDB gave it a good user rating but the same was true of 'Episode 4' (sci-fi geeks don't tend to be too discriminating ;) )

It was pretty good over all. Better than most science fiction movies out there. The humor in it was sarcastic, the acting was good, and the writing was pretty good except for a couple of plot holes. The movie had interesting themes and used various interesting situations to explore them.

Over all a solid 4/5 stars for me, and I'm usually fairly hard to please as far as movies go.

Nite_Hawk

I never liked the TV series Firefly. I thought the whole "western in space" theme was cheesy.

However, the movie Serenity was excellent. It was darker and edgier than the TV show, and they downplayed the whole "western in space" thing. The movie stands very well on its own.

Joss Whedon's movies always have a mysterious young girl with super powers, so I guess that's the tie-in with Buffy. But Serenity isn't at all like Buffy, so don't let that dissuade you.

If you are a sci-fi fan at all, I recommend it.

Just saw it a second time with a friend today who's never watched the series. He enjoyed it, and I liked it better the 2nd time. Excellent movie.

well the movie isn't doing great . 21.3 million worldwide but it only cost 36 million to produce .

So hopefully if it can hit the 40-50 million world wide mark and have strong dvd sales (like the series ) we could see a sequal .

I think them showing it to so many fans was a bad move . Most of thier viewership saw it a couple times before it was even released which doesn't help at all .

jvd said:
well the movie isn't doing great . 21.3 million worldwide but it only cost 36 million to produce.

It may get there as it has not opened up at many countries around the world...then DVD sales should be very good...

Back