Good nix for gaming?

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
I'd like to try out a nix that works well with games with my 6600GT.
Something easy to use basically.

For performance, go Gentoo. You'll have to learn how to optimize things from the ground up, like what gcc flags to use, etc, but the payoff is great. Not that I have any benchies to back it up.

Ease of use? Try Xandros (or whatever it's called). Looks/feels exactly like windows. Fedora(Red Hat) and SuSE are also easy to install/use. In the end, once you have an operating linux, you can install Gnome or KDE, and you have a very wondows-like environment.

Beyond Linux, there's not much as far as games go. Minix, BSD, GNU-kernel don't have any real support, although Quake runs in Be :p.

If you're trying out Q3 engine games, you'll be surprised. Q3 runs faster in Linux (as if anyone cares) than in windows. I think the same is true for UT03/04, but they lack somethings available in D3D.

I'm not liking needing to pay for a full featured version of Xandros.
I tried gentoo once and will never again attempt to run that.
It's way over my head:D

Debian's free, and once you get to the command line, just run gnome or KDE. There's plenty of users out there (IIRC it's 3rd in userbase after Red Hat and SuSE), so they should be able to help with any problems.

ubuntu

I installed it in about an hour on my laptop, runs great, and got drivers working in no time (check the forums for HOW-TOs on everything). And Gentoo is for people who have three days to get their system up and running in the first place.

If you want to be a True Master, you run Slackware. But then everybody looks at you funny. :(

The Baron said:
ubuntu

I installed it in about an hour on my laptop, runs great, and got drivers working in no time (check the forums for HOW-TOs on everything). And Gentoo is for people who have three days to get their system up and running in the first place.

If you want to be a True Master, you run Slackware. But then everybody looks at you funny. :(
Whats wrong (or right?) with slackware?

radeonic2 said:
No package management. No apt-get, rpm, emerge, anything like that. It's compile from source to the max, baby.

Don't do it unless you're hardcore. I started using it when the only way to install Linux was from floppies. Red Hat/Debian/et al didn't exist yet. Package management was a pipe dream. But, since I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I've gotten quite used to aptitude.

radeonic2 said:
Code:
wget <file>
tar -xcf <file>.tar.gz
./configure
make install
It's not bad or good. Some people prefer to go through the .config themselves. Gentoo abstracts this with USE environmental variables. But if you really wanna be hardcore: LFS.

But meh, if you just wanna run a few games, any of the other distros mentioned in this thread is just fine.

IIRC, SuSE is the second most used distro available. Slashdot reported that they've just made the whole thing free, as in Fedora is 'free' Red Hat. It's a good one, from what I've heard.

The Evaluation edition of SUSE Linux contains some proprietary components such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, RealNetworks RealPlayer, Sun Java Runtime Environment and Macromedia Flash Player. The Evaluation edition does not time out in any way. If you prefer you can download and use the Open Source Software (OSS) edition of SUSE Linux 10.0 that includes only open source components:
basically.... it you can go for eval of full SuSe or go for fully Open Source without these 4 programs.... that you can DL anyway for free.....

i tried SuSe 10 while it was RC beta and i really liked what i saw.... that YaST is great tool and i easy to use.....

now i DLed final version and i gonna install it this week.... (i need a friend to fix some issues with my modem so i can access net while using Linux, no need to say that my bloodsucking ISP tech support has no idea how to do it:devilish:)

Last edited by a moderator:
as i said, i tried SuSe 10 and i was amazed how fast i could find everything i needed....
its much bigger DL then ubuntu, but you dont have to install every single package ;)

also... there is kubuntu using KDE desktop.
http://www.kubuntu.org/

Should I get the version that's only 1 cd and uses my internet connection to get the rest?
I got a 4mb cable connection.

It's nice to have it all locally because then you can easily reinstall rather than hammering your connection.

If you like gnome, you may be interested to know that a large number of gnome developers use and develop on ubuntu. Having said that, I'm sure opensuse is nice too.

Nite_Hawk

Have tried SUSE and always enjoyed it. I kinda used Debian but progress is rather slow since they really make sure they iron out the bugs and so on. Gentoo seems like it will be a tough one but there is excellent docs out there. So if I get a brand new Athlon multicore desktop I would definitely try out Gentoo...and thats about it.

Back