My next brilliant idea: SLI in consoles

Wouldn't you guys like Sony to add a EDRAM like feature into the RSX? You know they have to pull that extra G70 stuff out and replace it with something. I wish they do what MS done just on a smaller scale.

eDRAM's a no. King K's said they haven't got eDRAM as they couldn't fit enough for a full 1080p, and obviously switching the architecture to tile rendering and redesigning to support eDRAM and all that jazz is more then just a 'slight improvement' which is being hinted at. I don't think eDRAM is necessarily the perfect solution either. As long as certain features are included and work well, whether they use eDRAM or not is neither here nor there. I don't equate eDRAM=better, only eDRAM=better in some cases all things being equal.

the only major change I can see, is the controller. Everything else I think may be a little too late unless they are planning to push it back

Shifty Geezer said:
eDRAM's a no. King K's said they haven't got eDRAM as they couldn't fit enough for a full 1080p, and obviously switching the architecture to tile rendering and redesigning to support eDRAM and all that jazz is more then just a 'slight improvement' which is being hinted at. I don't think eDRAM is necessarily the perfect solution either. As long as certain features are included and work well, whether they use eDRAM or not is neither here nor there. I don't equate eDRAM=better, only eDRAM=better in some cases all things being equal.

Damn! *snaps fingers*

You think the controller might get a menu button like MS has?? Hmm, well to be honest though select has been more and more so becoming the menu button on the PS2... but it would be nice.

eDRAM is perfect for fixed resolutions console. been rumors of PS3 chewing away bandwidth too quickly.

The realistic change i like to have(most likely the only change is the batashock3) is a 256bits RSX.

Bandwidth

fireshot said:
eDRAM is perfect for fixed resolutions console. been rumors of PS3 chewing away bandwidth too quickly.

The realistic change i like to have(most likely the only change is the batashock3) is a 256bits RSX.

RSX has more bandwidth than most PC GPUs but uses lower resolution so bandwidth wont be problem. EA says they are using 3 SPE for graphics (using SPE for graphics uses graphics bandwidth) but say they are fill-rate limited so bandwidth is obviously enough for their engine.

AlphaWolf said:
Ati's latest 90nm card is also drawing 130+ watts.
Ouch. Though G70 is c. 100 Watts on TSMC's 110nm Process, so G70 at 90nm on Sony's process willbe less than that, and then clocked up at worst I'd hope about the same. Still 100 watts is quite a lot.

Why are people so obsessed with upgradeability in a console?

Console != PC !!!

I can only see downsides to a "changeable" console platform, in terms of lowest common denominator development and fragmentation of the market. I'm peeved already that MS are offering 2 SKU's. To offer 3, 4 or more SKU's would constitute a major balls up IMO.

We are finally at the place where for some, gaming may take priority on the console platform rather than the PC. Some may even sell up their PC gaming rig if its used solely for gaming. And after the fiasco that is BF2 "patching" I might be one of the them :mad:

A static platform, where everything just works, and is the same on everyones device sounds like gaming heaven to me !!

PVR_Extremist said:
Why are people so obsessed with upgradeability in a console?

Console != PC !!!

I can only see downsides to a "changeable" console platform, in terms of lowest common denominator development and fragmentation of the market. I'm peeved already that MS are offering 2 SKU's. To offer 3, 4 or more SKU's would constitute a major balls up IMO.

We are finally at the place where for some, gaming may take priority on the console platform rather than the PC. Some may even sell up their PC gaming rig if its used solely for gaming. And after the fiasco that is BF2 "patching" I might be one of the them :mad:

A static platform, where everything just works, and is the same on everyones device sounds like gaming heaven to me !!

QFT.

ihamoitc2005 said:
RSX has more bandwidth than most PC GPUs but uses lower resolution so bandwidth wont be problem. EA says they are using 3 SPE for graphics (using SPE for graphics uses graphics bandwidth) but say they are fill-rate limited so bandwidth is obviously enough for their engine.

Not to sound like a complete moron. But what does that mean in the contect of games?
Thanks.

Back