R520 performance

silence

Regular
ok, please, dont get me wrong (which is higly possible) but could anyone without bias just say something like.... "its good, cause of....." or "it sucks, cause of..."......
going through 10,15 or 20 pages of disscusion is annoying and boring.
i hope noone here takes this as insult, but from what i read its about same as 7800GTX and its only problem is that it was late.....

so, please.... if you could use this topic just to get some performance numbers and maybe your opinion on them.... otherwise i am asking admins to delete this topic....

sorry guys, i checked less then day after it was released and had to dig through 12 pages of posts....

i appologize to all members and admins for this possibly useless topic, but i would like to see one simple thing.... HOW IT WORKS..... (yeah, i know, there are reviews on the net, but i trust B3D over any review posted anywhere else).

thank you for your patience with me.....

Very generally...

X1800XT is same or marginally faster than 7800GTX overall in DX games, and I would say noticeably faster at 16x12w/AA/AF (15-20%), but perhaps partly because of 512MBvs256MB on the GTX. GTX is marginally faster in OGL. Several new titles X1800XT has commanding lead, such as FEAR.
X1800 has better IQ than X850, esp. AF.
X1800 has great SM3 dynamic branching.
Lots of other good features, too.

Bottom line: X1800 is good but did not crush the GTX-- price will determine the best deal.
IMO :)

when will we see screenshots of 7800 gtx v x1800. isn't image quality a factor too? (even though subjective value largely). not just fps?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Why not read the B3D review?

i did..... but i just wanted overall opinion without "my dic(card) is better then yours" thing going on....

thank you all and if admins fell like it, they can delete this.... i got what i asked for without digging throught dozens of pages of fighting which implementation of what is better....

ERK... thank you very much, this is the answer i was looking for....
Easyrider .. thnks for that, but i just came home and dont have time....

i acctually expected B3D to do this a bit different.... by now another R520 topic has 270-ish post and i really dont have time to read them all....

thank you all.... have fun&good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Performance: Mostly equal performance, though it seems the X1800XT is peforming better in more current games, or those that will be coming out. Toss up really, and if all you care about is performance, than choose based on the games you play and what you most likely be playing.

Image quality: leans in favor of the X1800XT. This is subjective, and you should look at screenshots, etc. Though overall view is that the R5x0 cores indeed have superiour IQ.

Features: Clearly in the X1800XT, the X1800XT either matches or goes beyond the 7800GTX on every thing I've seen so far.

Conclusion: I'd say the win goes to the X1800XT, not by much mind you, and if you feel the advantages are not worth the price difference possibly (and I really mean that!) come shipping date for the card then its up to you.

Sadly, you're not going to get a clear "yes" or "no", neither card is way better than the other, or anything. The only thing I can say is that the features and IQ advantage lean me in favor of the X1800XT.

Back