I'm going to exercise on the Bowflex!

Shoot. I either pulled a muscle in my left arm or I'm having a heart attack. My boss says my lips are pale. Teach me to go to the gym when my body is telling me to sleep all day.

For some reason, I cannot find the movitation to work out using the equipment at home. I have to goto a gym and fall into a consistant routine. My routine:

Monday: Chest, 5 exercises, 3 sets each, 8reps each. 30-40mins of cardio.
Tuesday: Back, 5 exercises, 3 sets each, 8reps each. 30-40mins of cardio.
Wednesday: Shoulders, 5 exercises, 3 sets each, 8reps each. 30-40mins of cardio.
Thursday: Biceps, 5 exercises, 3 sets each, 8reps each. 30-40mins of cardio.
Friday: Triceps and legs, 10 exercises, 3 sets each, 8reps each. No cardio.
Rest sat and sunday.

After about 2-3months straight, I take a whole week off since it does beat up the body a fair amount. I'd taken a year+ off after a shoulder injury from a motocycle crash and one thing I realized is how hard it is to find the motivation to work out again. Once you do it for a couple of months straight it feels very good and the this good feeling transitions into other aspects of your life but those first 2 months are the make or break months. That's where you'll find youself making all sorts of excuses to not work out. Atleast, that's how it was for me.

I'm not surprised you motivation is trailing off, you doing too much too often.

Have a read through this site
http://www.hardgainer.com/
and do some googling for Stuart McRobert.

I never progressed untill I started using a two day per week split, nothing but free weights and compound movements. Both body and mind stay fresh and you look forward to each traiing session. Unless your eyeing off the next Mr Universe title 15 sets dedicated to such a small muscle group as your biceps is pointless.

I've to agree with Shogun, that training routine is way too much. Try reducing the number of excercises and group the body part together like chest, back, shoulder one day, 2-3 days rest; legs, biceps, triceps, abs another day, 2-3 days rest; repeat.

Your cardio routine is fine though.

Is jumping rope still considered good cardio? My daughter wants me to teach her how and I don't think it'd be a bad idea for me...

Damn but I've been getting a lot more exercise the last 2-3 weeks, just walking a couple of miles every day has actually really helped. :)

Remind me to weigh myself later, I'm curious now.

digitalwanderer said:
Is jumping rope still considered good cardio? My daughter wants me to teach her how and I don't think it'd be a bad idea for me...

Damn but I've been getting a lot more exercise the last 2-3 weeks, just walking a couple of miles every day has actually really helped. :)

It is a good cardio workout, but it's actually pretty tough now that I'm an old fart :)

have been going to the gym two/three times a week for four monthes (but some weeks only once, though I'm avoidng that) . Each time it's quite long and make works each muscle group, and there's 25 minutes of cardio. (I do some free weight stuff, but more machines)

works great so far, I went from 52Kg to 55Kg and still growing it seems.
Looks like I eat twice as much as usual after training :)

They tried to sell me the proteins and stuff, but they would be as much expensive as what I pay to go to the gym.. I'd rather just eat.

BTW I don't eat chocolate or chips or brownies ,cakes etc. outside of meals and before training. I prefer bread, cheese and fruits. Bread is the old fashion "energy cereal bar" :) (large parts of humanity lived on it for millenia), cheese is a good source of protein, fruits bring me the "anti-oxyding" and vitamins. More important that nutrition : it's just better IMHO :p. also, the kellogs cereal stuff + milk along that.

Shogun said:
I'm not surprised you motivation is trailing off, you doing too much too often.

Have a read through this site
http://www.hardgainer.com/
and do some googling for Stuart McRobert.

I never progressed untill I started using a two day per week split, nothing but free weights and compound movements. Both body and mind stay fresh and you look forward to each traiing session. Unless your eyeing off the next Mr Universe title 15 sets dedicated to such a small muscle group as your biceps is pointless.

No, maybe it came across wrong. Going with that routine, I'm much more motivated. At the end of the day, it's only about an hour to 1:20 mins of exercise, 5 days a week.
I'm quite happy with it.

digitalwanderer said:

Put your current weight in your signiture, and excercises for the week. That way people on message boards can bug you about it :)

digitalwanderer said:
I'm at 232lbs this morning fully dressed with 2 pairs of pants and a jacket on. :D

Then into your signiture it goes, and next to it the date. Go on mr, measurement is half the motivation when you see the lbs falling off.

So geo and DW, how goes the working out?

I am sitting here with a mild case of the stomach flu, feeling guilty for not having exercised in the last 3 days and remembered about this thread. Otherwise I have been able to remain fairly consistent with WO's 3 - 4 per week. How have you guys been doing?

Actually I'm about 10-15lbs lighter than when I started this thread...so that's at least SOMETHING!

Yeah, it is. I'm not exactly at my fighting trimmest either, not after a 2-week vacation, birthday, and Thanksgiving. Been hitting the cardio a little longer to burn the fat this past week.

Back