I'm going to exercise on the Bowflex!

digitalwanderer said:
Thus why I pulled out my scale and am publically posting it to shame meself into losing it, I'll post it once a week.
Post a weekly picture.
Oh, and it makes my bitch titties feel tighter and less girly....I think that's important too. ;)
:LOL:

I wonder how Bowflex compares againt that gym Chuck Norris is always advertising, total gym is it?

I have been thinking about getting one or the other.

I have an official gym membership and its quite a drive to the gym so it would be nice to use one of these some days.

And to Digi, good show, excercise is about keeping the quality of life as high as possible as long as possible.

Machines like that arn't the best if you plan on advancing to any decent level of strength.
Because they lock you into a fixed path in each movement they introduce abnormal shearing forces into your joints which over time will lead to injury.
Freeweights is best.

edit for typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, though it may be a little besides the point, for competitive body-building you need a mix of free weights and machines. Free weights are the basis certainly, but to have that extra-detail that`s required when competing you have to use some machines for better isolation.

Overall, I`d say that when starting up free-weights are the way, using progressive loads, but after you`ve reached a degree of muscular-maturity and you need to shock your muscles you have to move into machines territory. Having multiple available exercises is incredibly good, as muscular-confusion is extremely important.

malficar,

I have the Bowflex Extreme and a long time ago I had the Total Gym. Hands down the Bowflex is better. IMO it really does give you a great workout. I would not recommend it if you want to seriously body build though. The only thing I do in addition to the Bowflex is some dumbbell work for my bi and triceps.

I haven't used the bowflex much this week, but I've been walking the kids to/from school most everyday and the work out seems better.

My left knee is f-ing killing me, but I can feel it becoming a lot easier to power walk there and back on days like today.

(I had to help with kindergarten so I walked there at 1 and helped 'til about 2:15 and had just enough time to walk home and let the puppies out before walking back to pick the kids up. :rolleyes: )

I miss our Z. :(

I've been going to gym pretty regularly so far this year (4-5 each week), alternating free weights and cardio (cross country and/or tread mill). And I haven't had one swallow of chocolate so far, though there's been some ugly situations. Such as going to a dual birthday luncheon for co-workers and having the one on my left eating a huge slice of chocolate fudge cake and the one on my right eating chocolate chip cookies. And that same day, right after lunch, I go over to another department in my building and there's this chocolate sheet cake for someone else's birthday and someone sticks a piece in my face asking if I wanted it. It's also annual inventory time at work for all computer equipment and my boss brought in a huge batch of home made chocolate chip cookies since she knows this job is such a hated duty. So far I've made my saving throw (-2 for low wisdom) every time, but I'm really starting to crave some cookies or brownies.

John Reynolds said:
And I haven't had one swallow of chocolate so far, though there's been some ugly situations.
I have got to hand it to you John, I cannot resit chocolate. Working out just gives me the caloric wiggle room to do it. Mmmmmm Lindt.

John Reynolds said:
I've been going to gym pretty regularly so far this year (4-5 each week), alternating free weights and cardio (cross country and/or tread mill). And I haven't had one swallow of chocolate so far, though there's been some ugly situations. Such as going to a dual birthday luncheon for co-workers and having the one on my left eating a huge slice of chocolate fudge cake and the one on my right eating chocolate chip cookies. And that same day, right after lunch, I go over to another department in my building and there's this chocolate sheet cake for someone else's birthday and someone sticks a piece in my face asking if I wanted it. It's also annual inventory time at work for all computer equipment and my boss brought in a huge batch of home made chocolate chip cookies since she knows this job is such a hated duty. So far I've made my saving throw (-2 for low wisdom) every time, but I'm really starting to crave some cookies or brownies.

The cravings will pass, like any addiction, sugar requires consistent doseage for you to crave it. After a few months you will barley feel it. Food becomes fuel 6 days from 7, which is the way it should be. You will also find you savour the tastier meals more.

John Reynolds said:
So far I've made my saving throw (-2 for low wisdom) every time, but I'm really starting to crave some cookies or brownies.
You should eat some, just don't go crazy. Even while cutting, it's always good to have "cheat days" ... refuelling on glycogen, easing cravings and best of all repriming the hormone balance.

Yea, to keep my metabolism from slowing down due to reduced caloric intake (though exercising regularly helps fight that, but at my age. . . .) the wife and I have a cheat day on Saturdays. Last weekend it was pizza while watching our movie rental. The weekend before it was nachos and this killer bean dip she makes.

I'm very dangerous with chocolate. I can and will open up a can of milk chocolate icing for a cake and eat the entire can. I'm also known for taking a box of brownie mix and adding the ingredients and then eat the entire pile of goo raw. A tube of chocolate chip cookie dough from the grocery store? Not a problem. A box of thin mint Girl Scout cookies? Pffft, just a light snack.

John Reynolds said:
Yea, to keep my metabolism from slowing down due to reduced caloric intake (though exercising regularly helps fight that, but at my age. . . .) the wife and I have a cheat day on Saturdays. Last weekend it was pizza while watching our movie rental. The weekend before it was nachos and this killer bean dip she makes.

I'm very dangerous with chocolate. I can and will open up a can of milk chocolate icing for a cake and eat the entire can. I'm also known for taking a box of brownie mix and adding the ingredients and then eat the entire pile of goo raw. A tube of chocolate chip cookie dough from the grocery store? Not a problem. A box of thin mint Girl Scout cookies? Pffft, just a light snack.
hehe, yeah well that's what I meant with "just don't go crazy" ;)

...and another week's sessions at the gym were completed yesterday evening. This week I've had 1 snickers bar and a giant cookie... I think thats all the bad stuff I've had at all... oh no wait I had a digestive biscuit too.

My daily routine goes

6AM: Two cereal bars (with calcium, plenty of fibre too)
9AM: Two cereal bars and a protein shake (~30g of whey)
Midday: Lunch (tuna sarnie or something with chicken)
2:30PM: Protein shake
5PM: Dinner (usually something filling including veg)
6PM: Gym or rest
7:30PM: protein shake

Back