Kyle throws a [H]issy fit about CrossFire shipping late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mariner said:
Wow! Well done. Nice wide-ranging insult to most of the board members.

I think you'll find there are 6904 board members and I aimed my remark at 6-12 people, so that is 0.1-0.2% .

So you can drop "wide ranging" and "most" out of your sentence. It's not even an insult so you can cut that out to.

What we have left is

"Wow! Well done"

Thanks, but I was only stating the truth, I do not have to be thanked for it.

geo said:
Indeed. To support that, you'd have to come up with a situation where NV was treated in a similar matter on something of the same relative importance (I mean, new gens don't come along all that often) by a major site, and then show how the folks here were indifferent to it.

Indeed not I'm afraid.

Considering your paragraph above do me a little favour. Do a search on this forum using the search words Anandtech and then Driver Heaven. Read the replies and tell me how Driver Heaven gets let off the hook even though they are blatently pro Ati and yet Anand, who is fairly neutral, gets hauled over the coals at the merest opportunity.

Cheers

dizietsma said:
Indeed not I'm afraid.

Considering your paragraph above do me a little favour. Do a search on this forum using the search words Anandtech and then Driver Heaven. Read the replies and tell me how Driver Heaven gets let off the hook even though they are blatently pro Ati and yet Anand, who is fairly neutral, gets hauled over the coals at the merest opportunity.

Cheers

I've always assumed DriverHeaven is an ATI fansite, that dabbles in other video stuff on the side. But frankly I don't visit there much, unless following a link from here, so maybe I'm wrong about that. Are you saying it isn't? I occasionally roll my eyes at the fansites when I think they need it, but I don't hold them to the same standards as official pronuncios and pieces from [H], Anand, and B3D, for instance. Tho, personally, I do not recall going off on Anand in any serious fashion --certainly not for bias. At least to the best of my memory.

Edit: Checked. Okay, some here have accused Anand of pro-NV bias. You've disclaimed meaning all 6,094 (or whatever it was) registered members, but you still threw the same broad cloth over every one criticising [H] on this thread, so I still feel justified in taking umbrage.

And, you didn't actually make an attempt at what I asked you to do for proof --the Anandtech/Driver Heaven exercize does nothing at all to show that many of the folks on this thread wouldn't come to NV's defense if they were being treated the same way on something of this magnitude of importance by a major non-fansite.

Last edited by a moderator:
DriverHeaven gets let off the hook? Pretty much everyone here knows they slant toward ATI, AFAIK. Or, at least, their contacts with ATI mean they must slant that way (see B3D bashing). ;)

I remember Derek stopped by following an article, but I forget the context. It's quite possible we hen-pecked him away, like we do to most people. ;) I didn't realize he was mentioned in this thread, though.

People are getting upset here not because they think Kyle has done his readers a disservice ( they probably look down their noses at them and think they are ignorant monkeys I'd guess) but because they think Kyle has done a disservice to their beloved ATi.
Remove or make optional "their beloved" and you're right. The key word is disservice, and the key point is that his explanations are at odds with each other.

Look, everyone did the same thing. Anand said he'd only use drivers available to end users. Tom said he's only test cards available to end users. People say things they regret. The point is that Kyle doesn't, and we're stubborn in that we'd prefer him to publically admit the truth behind his linguistic twists, rather than say time was a factor here and list everything but time as a factor in the review.

He might wish all card launches would be like the 7800's, but that just ain't gonna happen, so it's not a good reason to hold ATI up to an impossible standard. No one wishes the R520 were already available more than ATI, as should be evident by their latest "earnings" report. They do the best they can. Kyle's job is to educate his readers, not think for them, and *I* think he's doing the latter by giving extraneous reasons for not reviewing the XT first.

Of course, if the XT turns out to be rarer than the above-mentioned hen's teeth, Kyle will be vindicated. But I think he'd have wanted to launch with the XT in his review, given the time, so his arguments fall flat (IMO).

Okayyy, I think I've wasted enough of everyone's time on this. Thanks for your patience. ;)

Edit: Apparently I had something in my eye. I'll lay off the wink smiley for a bit. Time to spread some rep points around to the other smileys.

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
Well, I always respect those who are "Lord of their own domain" and have the cojones to stop in here on a controversial subject. They don't have to, and they know up front it probably isn't going to be pleasant.

No one has ever, to my knowledge, faulted Kyle for a lack of intestinal fortitude. At least not seriously --maybe in an effort to p*ss him off.

You might not be surprised if I dissent a bit...;)

Being the Lord of Your Own Domain takes very little in the cojones department, if I may say so. I mean, since you are the Lord of that domain you can easily censure, censor, edit, and delete dissenting opinion without the pesky necessity of having to answer it. Sound familiar? Heh...;) So I would stipulate that being the Lord of Your Own Domain requires very little in the cojones department, since it is so easy to do and a task requiring little thought.

Cojones, however, are put on display when the Lord leaves his domain and visits another domain where he is not Lord, but is just a common pipsqueak, like everybody else. Cojones come to light when such a Lord can intelligently defend and explain his opinions without saying, "It's My Domain, Love It or Leave It" as if that was a coherent and rational explanation of his positions.

It is a shame, though, I think you'll agree, that the Lord of One Domain has to visit another domain simply to attempt to engage in the kinds of discussions that are prohibited, deleted, and censored inside of his own domain. If such a Lord really had some cojones then he would be unafraid of engaging in such discussion within his own Kingdom, don't you think?...;)

But given gas prices these days, I'm thinking he couldn't get him and his ego in the same hybrid. . .

I'm thinking SUV or double-decker bus--but that's neither here nor there...:D

One last thing real quick I was just thinking about with all this talk of "cojones"...

Notice now that [h] is pushing a technical problem that has been rather thoroughly debunked over here that Mr. Big Cojones and Little Kyle haven't been over here defending their positions?

Wonder why that is... :rolleyes:

is kyla still relevant? Who goes to that site? More "fame" culture, more BS, more halftruths, more insane control issues.... more whining like lil nancyboy? Must be 2003?

digitalwanderer said:
One last thing real quick I was just thinking about with all this talk of "cojones"...

Notice now that [h] is pushing a technical problem that has been rather thoroughly debunked over here that Mr. Big Cojones and Little Kyle haven't been over here defending their positions?

Wonder why that is... :rolleyes:

Actually I decided to leave my comments out of this thread when it turned into more of a name-calling extravganza than a discussion of the topic. But you guys have a good time. We still have some civil conversations on these topics at our forums if you care to join.

FrgMstr said:
Actually I decided to leave my comments out of this thread when it turned into more of a name-calling extravganza than a discussion of the topic. But you guys have a good time. We still have some civil conversations on these topics at our forums if you care to join.
And you're welcome to join us here and discuss or over at EB, I don't really care for the attacks over at your place so much.

How's about we discuss it here? A nice, neutral third-party? :-|

FrgMstr said:

I saw your de-escalating front-pager today. I think it's time everybody stand down.

geo said:
I saw your de-escalating front-pager today. I think it's time everybody stand down.
Why? It's ok for Kyle to trash and talk bullshit (SM 3.0 support) but if he backpeddles it should be all peaches and cream?

I don't feel comfortable with that. :???:

How long has crossfire been delayed ?

If i recall right it was about 3 months from when nvidia showed sli and had it benchmarked till it came out . So i don't see a big deal if its within that time frame .

jvd said:
How long has crossfire been delayed ?

If i recall right it was about 3 months from when nvidia showed sli and had it benchmarked till it came out . So i don't see a big deal if its within that time frame .

When you have no one to compete with time goes by quickly compared to the other way around doesn't it?

FrgMstr said:

Just out of curiosity, then...why didn't you choose to include your comments in this thread before it "turned into more of a name-calling extravganza"...? Kyle, seriously, doesn't it strike you as a bit evasive to use "name calling" as an excuse not to comment? I mean, it certainly creates the impression that all you are looking for are reasons not to discuss the bones of contention that you yourself raise from time to time. Would I be in error to surmise that maybe the "contention" and "attention" parts are more important to you than the "conversation" parts?

I also think it might behoove you at some point to try and define what you mean by "civil conversation." Thinking back to a time when B3d's Dave B. did exactly what you suggest you'd like to see--when he visited [H] and attempted to do some civil posting--I seem to recall that at least one of his posts was deleted in keeping with your version of "civil," simply because it rather boldly disagreed with something you had represented to be true.

For most people, I think you'll agree, the idea of a "civil conversation" is embodied by the concept of a two-way street. Having a "civil conversation" means that two or more parties are having a dialogue--a "back and forth," if you will. I think you'll have to admit that when you refuse to engage in such a back and forth, "civil conversations" become impossible. While deleting, editing, or else ignoring dissenting commentary might indeed be your idea of having a civil conversation, you ought to understand that most everyone else likely has a dissenting opinion about that...;)

digitalwanderer said:
In fairness to Kyle he hasn't touched a single one of my posts over there, mebbe he's changed.

I doubt it after reading the fiasco about the Fragbox 2 machine where he ripped on ATI again and again even when it turnd our to a BFG problem

YeuEmMaiMai said:
I doubt it after reading the fiasco about the Fragbox 2 machine where he ripped on ATI again and again even when it turnd our to a BFG problem
Huh? I missed that one, could you explain/expand a bit please? :-|

He did a review of the frag box and just ripped on the ATI express 200 mainboard when it turned out to be a bad video card. it's at the top of his main page.

digitalwanderer said:
Huh? I missed that one, could you explain/expand a bit please? :-|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back