Kyle throws a [H]issy fit about CrossFire shipping late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of waxing on for pages, I am going to cut to the chase and say what everyone is thinking and what many of us in the technology press are feeling.

1. ATI, HardOCP is not your personal PR bitch, so don't treat us like one again. You're on thin ice and you should be ashamed of your actions this year. We at HardOCP don't want to be a mouthpiece for vaporware in order to keep your stock price up. So from now on, if it is not the real deal, just keep it to yourself.

2. Continue with the "If NVIDIA does it, we can do it too!" methodology that has been working for you guys for a while now. But from now on, keep a tighter timeline.

3. Repeat after me. Paper launches, NO. Product launches, YES.

4. NVIDIA is setting the new standard by having their card builders selling the products on the day that they are launched. Learn it, know it, live it. And NVIDIA, don't change up on us now.

The bottom line is that the enthusiast hardware community wants products, not Canuck promises. ATI is quickly burning through a solid and loyal fan base that they built back in the days of the 9700/9800. Now is the time for ATI to step up with honest damage control, not another half filled basket of half baked promises.
Ouch. :???:

I find it very funny. [H] continue to let me down, and their move to a wider range even more so. Oh well, their forums are over filled with ignorance. The only reason I even visit the site any more is because I find their graphics charts in their video card reviews of good use, I wish their style was adpoted more when it comes with this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
in light of that im assuming, if they do infact have R520 cards, they did/have not/could not, test CrossFire on them. Thats a pretty big indication anyway. Not gonna post a moaning complaint like that then contradict yourself in less than 2 days. Lack of boards as well so close to launch. Gonna be some dissapointed people.

*quietly laughs inside and wants dual card systems to waste away*

A little harsh, but I can understand why people are getting a little upset. Front paging that is not the most journalistic thing to do, but if he has the balls and ability to do so then good for him.

digitalwanderer said:

Yes. And, also, much as it pains me --"Amen, brother Kyle." They've had it coming, it's been building for awhile; some out and out venting is not out of place, alas. It's not entirely unhealthy either. Decry it all we want --"it is our way".

Come Wednesday it better start turning around!

geo said:
Yes. And, also, much as it pains me --"Amen, brother Kyle." They've had it coming, it's been building for awhile; some out and out venting is not out of place, alas. It's not entirely unhealthy either. Decry it all we want --"it is our way".

Come Wednesday it better start turning around!
You will note I did not say his words were without merit or truthful, I just said "ouch".

I won't defend ATi on this one, they definately haven't lived up to what they said they were going to do with Xfire. :(

(Then again, I'm sort of with SugarCoat about dual cards, me being still AGP and all...)

Don't see what the big fuss is about. TechReport, Inquirer and PCPer all said basically the same thing. Well they didn't use the phrase "personal PR bitch" but the message was the same :smile:

Im not sure people are dissapointed about CrossFire. Its more the morals of it, when a comapany ships you a package wanting you to review its contents for retail launch purposes, especially after already having a paper launch as CrossFire has, you usually launch the product you had sent out for review, broken or not, they committed to it the moment they sent those packages out. SLI launched barely working, but it did launch. Same with any product. I am completely miffed to be honost why they havent given the go-ahead on motherboards though. Even if they left CrossFire out for a little longer, at least make SOME head room. They havent even launched their single slot motherboards which looked great in the preview done what, 2 months ago? Someones not doing their job if you ask me. They really shoulda launched those boards weeks ago. With or without CrossFire.

Couldnt be a better place though. Im sure the hardforums are going rampent and getting their torches ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one way to put it I guess. Then again, it is his web site and he can do what he wants. If he feels that he has been mislead, then he has a right to speak out about it. The software company I work for was two months late with a software product and our end users beat on us good about it. I can't blame them though. We told them A, but gave them C instead. They were not happy and rightfully so.

But the facts are the facts and ATI stated they would have them at launch and apparently that is not the case without even an excuse. If one of their partners hasn't received a test sample yet, what are the odds that they will be available within the next two weeks to a month?

This is probably the only forum on the web who doesn't seem bothered by the lack of availability. :rolleyes:

edited to maintain peace.

digitalwanderer said:
You will note I did not say his words were without merit or truthful, I just said "ouch".

I won't defend ATi on this one, they definately haven't lived up to what they said they were going to do with Xfire. :(

(Then again, I'm sort of with SugarCoat about dual cards, me being still AGP and all...)

Oh, I got it. You will recall we had a similar conversation back in July or so, and unfortunately it has detoriated from there. . . On this one there is no doubt that ATI sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind.

Damn, I'm feeling biblical tonight for an agnostic!

The real pity is there was no need for it. Hit your f'ing dates. No one picks them for you, you pick them yourself. "Positive surprises" make everyone happy. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

geo said:
Oh, I got it. You will recall we had a similar conversation back in July or so, and unfortunately it has detoriated from there. . . On this one there is no doubt that ATI sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind.

Damn, I'm feeling biblical tonight for an agnostic!

The real pity is there was no need for it. Hit your f'ing dates. No one picks them for you, you pick them yourself. "Positive surprises" make everyone happy. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

I am concerned that there is no hardware. If there were some minor bugs to be worked out, ATI could release the cards and update the drivers frequently. With there being no hardware, it may not be drivers that need to be fixed but hardware issues.

ondaedg said:
I am concerned that there is no hardware. If there were some minor bugs to be worked out, ATI could release the cards and update the drivers frequently. With there being no hardware, it may not be drivers that need to be fixed but hardware issues.

for every actual hands on preview of a motherboard or card though i havent seen any self combusting taking out the lab. If its a hardware problem still, its eluded everyone. This is where official comments, say on ATI.com, come in handy. Silence is not a good way to deal with things, especially if you promise something and dont deliver. A simple

"hey this is how it is, we're doing our best" comment would be met far more friendly.

ondaedg said:
This is probably the only forum on the web who doesn't seem bothered by the lack of availability. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely correct. Many here don't really care about availability since they never buy high-end hardware (see the "What res do you game at?" poll). They would be happy with a preview by Dave and the ensuing discussion about the technology/architecture behind it all.

Maybe we should start a "Post your 3dmark05 score" thread. :LOL:

ondaedg said:

I'm more concerned that there are no mobos. Tho, hell, they should be selling master cards from ati.com too. Maybe they wouldn't sell very many at this point, but that is entirely beside the point of what is driving everyone bonkers.

We did get a nice reference mobo review at Anand last week. But that ain't something you can buy. I'm forced to the conclusion this was a PR-driven exercise, and the stinking carcass of the resulting dead pole-cat must be left at the feet of ATI PR.

It is what it is.

ahhh possibly there are bigger things in life than availability of a niche hardware solution?

Personally I prefer the "release it when it's done" philosophy but if people want to pay bucket loads of $ to be a beta tester...well be my guest.

I read this before like trinibwoy says on inq, techreport etc. Sounds like a "me too no Patsy" response from kyle and the gang.

hey, if anyone cares, though i doubt it:

http://www.techreport.com/
ATI said:
Radeon X850 XTs CrossFire Edition cards have been shipped to Newegg and we expect them to be posted any time now and we are confident no later than the end of the week. The X800 XLs and X800s will follow shortly after—around October 10th.
DFI's CrossFire Edition motherboards will also be available on Newegg at the end of this week/beginning of next. The others: MSI, ASUS, GBT, ECS, PCPartner, ABIT will follow will follow shortly thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back