ATi/Nvidia hiring

trinibwoy said:
Hmmmm, some of the opinions here are quite strange if not misplaced. At my current firm during the financial downturn, the number of interns and new full-time analysts brought on per year were relatively low. My division has since posted some record profits and hiring has increased tremendously. If that isn't a cut and dry correlation I don't know what is.

I can't quantify "aggressive recruiting efforts" but I am quite sure they go beyond just posting supefluous job openings as some are suggesting. I don't see why it is so hard to believe that Nvidia is growing its headcount - they are trying to establish a presence is other markets outside their core PC business.
I don't think anyone is saying that Nvidia isn't hiring. Just that the number of outstanding "reqs" isn't indicitive of how a company is doing. In your example you stated the company hired more people when business was good. I agree that this is to be expected, but the article only looks at recruiting efforts.

ben6 said:
Well a fairer look at this would be NVIDIA head count
1/30/2000 392
1/28/2001 796
1/27/2002 1123
1/26/2003 1513
1/25/2004 1805
1/31/2005 2101

IIRC NVIDIA has over 2300 employees as of last fiscal Q

(All this information comes from form 10-K of the respective years)

It looks like they've been aggressively hiring for years.

For comparison, ATI had 2700 employees in 2004.

The perspective of financial analysis is somewhat different to the prevailing thoughts here. If a firm is hiring (given historical industry data), then they add to their cost structure. A firm will only do so on condition of increasing (or expected) revenues. Ergo, the opposite must be true for it's competitors... It may be that Ati have attaineded equilibrium in their projected areas of growth. Without looking at the data first hand, it's impossible to give an accurate appraisal.

Sxotty said:
Youguys get so uppity over this kind of thing. Relax. Or do you own shares in ATI? Is it worrying you? Otherwise they don't need you to hop up and down screaming everything is fine. ;)

Sorry that you think trying to be precise is being "uppity"...;) I wasn't inferring that everything is fine or that everything is not fine--I wasn't making a statement either way. What I was doing was pointing out the obvious--that hiring on employees doesn't indicate growth or contraction in and of itself. That's simply a neutral fact, and I can't see how that might be disputed, frankly.

The analyst is making a value judgment based strictly on his impressions of current hiring at each company--apparently as suggested by his perusal of the respective companies' Help Wanted Ads. Since there can literally be many reasons for hiring aside from growth (such as hiring because a company *expects* to grow in the future, or *desires* to grow in the future, or just to make up for recent departures, for instance), it is impossible to quantify the *current size* of a company in relation to another merely by contrasting the Help Wanted Ads listed by each at a given point in time. My point was that I'd call sentiments to the contrary very poor attempts at analysis, without a doubt...;)

Truthfully, you could look at hiring many ways. But the underlying facts are NVIDIA is expanding their headcount every quarter a minimum of about 5%-10% for the last 6 years (starting in CY2000). That to me seems a fairly healthy expansion, fully supported by their revenues and earnings.

But ah well, what do I know? :).

ben6 said:
Truthfully, you could look at hiring many ways. But the underlying facts are NVIDIA is expanding their headcount every quarter a minimum of about 5%-10% for the last 6 years (starting in CY2000). That to me seems a fairly healthy expansion, fully supported by their revenues and earnings.

But ah well, what do I know? :).

Sorry for the pun, but the rejoinder here puts me in mind of an old joke: "Just how many engineers does it take to unscrew a lightbulb?"...;)

WaltC said:
Sorry for the pun, but the rejoinder here puts me in mind of an old joke: "Just how many engineers does it take to unscrew a lightbulb?"...;)

For you,
If it is the red side, maybe one or less than one. Well, the green side probably takes more than a group with Kirk as the leader to do it.

Joking aside, Ati is always having more employee than Nvidias. Maybe the retail side business require more work forces?

Back