ATi/Nvidia hiring

How many college grads are they hiring? I don't think that would be a bad job.

(To any Nvidia HR lurkers, I am an Electric Engineering major. I have a good GPA and I am very enthusiastic! Feel free to contact me! :D )

trinibwoy said:
Interesting blurb from MSN - http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?Feed=FRB&Date=20050920&ID=5127293

Merrill noted that hiring patterns at graphics chipmakers contrast as Nvidia job openings significantly lead ATI Technologies. "ATI needs to control costs and evidently has decided that it can't try to keep pace with Nvidia hiring for the intermediate term."

Seems a fairly silly statement to make...but that's "analyst" fodder for you--taking circumstantial statistics and making unjustified statements out of them. I mean, it could well be that ATi isn't hiring on as much as nV at present because ATi is happier with its present crew than is nV...There are many ways to view such data aside from the analyst's opinion stated here.

WaltC said:
Seems a fairly silly statement to make...but that's "analyst" fodder for you--taking circumstantial statistics and making unjustified statements out of them. I mean, it could well be that ATi isn't hiring on as much as nV at present because ATi is happier with its present crew than is nV...There are many ways to view such data aside from the analyst's opinion stated here.

Hiring shows growth. If you don't need to hire then you either aren't growing or you had too many employees before.

I haven't looked in a couple years, but when I was looking for a job Nvidia always had a lot of jobs listed at sites like Monster, but that doesn't mean they're hiring for all of them. Almost everyday they updated their listing so they'd remain at the top of the list and the jobs never went away over the 7 month period I was monitoring Monster. It was obvious they didn't have specific jobs that needed to be filled soon after listing. They were just keeping the listings out there until they attracted a resume that really caught their interest. While there's nothing wrong with this I think it kills any type of insight that can be gathered by the number of job listings.

CMAN said:
Hiring shows growth. If you don't need to hire then you either aren't growing or you had too many employees before.

Hiring shows people have quit and left your company.

CMAN said:

This is actually bullshit. Mythical man month anyone? hiring only shows you have open reqs, it doesn't correlate to actual growth, just managments misguided belief that you need more people when in some instances the only issue is dealing with management BS.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

I don't know about nV/ATI, but I know that Bosch has some 200+ job offers on the net constantly and these jobs don't exist nor ever will (a friend of mine works at HR there). They do it just to get to know new people and with some luck get the really good ones as needed.

Advertising non-existant jobs is a normal tactic.

It gives you market presence (i.e. it's pure marketing B$) and lets you suck up CVs for cherry picking.

Jawed

aaronspink said:
This is actually bullshit. Mythical man month anyone? hiring only shows you have open reqs, it doesn't correlate to actual growth, just managments misguided belief that you need more people when in some instances the only issue is dealing with management BS.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

on the other hand it goes very well in line with latest financial results from both companies which show ATI on the downside and Nvidia on the upside.
So it fits very well. I think that's why the analyst made its point.

Financial analysts are rather good at making points that seem plausible. That's usually where it ends.

Jawed

Richthofen said:
on the other hand it goes very well in line with latest financial results from both companies which show ATI on the downside and Nvidia on the upside.
So it fits very well. I think that's why the analyst made its point.

Exactly--the "analyst" (I always use that term loosely) made his "point" based on circumstantial evidence. His "conclusion" is but one of many that can be reached from the same data set.

Youguys get so uppity over this kind of thing. Relax. Or do you own shares in ATI? Is it worrying you? Otherwise they don't need you to hop up and down screaming everything is fine. ;)

aaronspink said:

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Wow! I guess if you have absolutely no belief in management at all. While your option is plausible, mine is too. For you to call it bullshit is to be narrowminded. As there are MANY instances where I am correct. Especially in a industry where your work force is mostly engineers. However, to say ATI is doing horrible because they aren't hiring is incorrect. Yet if you look at previous results, I think it is safe to say Nvidia believes they will show growth (which they have shown recently).

BRiT said:
Hiring shows people have quit and left your company.

All the time? That is shortsighted. I'll give you that it is a possibility though. However, this isn't the late 90's where people were picking up and leaving left and right.

Hmmmm, some of the opinions here are quite strange if not misplaced. At my current firm during the financial downturn, the number of interns and new full-time analysts brought on per year were relatively low. My division has since posted some record profits and hiring has increased tremendously. If that isn't a cut and dry correlation I don't know what is.

I can't quantify "aggressive recruiting efforts" but I am quite sure they go beyond just posting supefluous job openings as some are suggesting. I don't see why it is so hard to believe that Nvidia is growing its headcount - they are trying to establish a presence is other markets outside their core PC business.

Well a fairer look at this would be NVIDIA head count
1/30/2000 392
1/28/2001 796
1/27/2002 1123
1/26/2003 1513
1/25/2004 1805
1/31/2005 2101

IIRC NVIDIA has over 2300 employees as of last fiscal Q

(All this information comes from form 10-K of the respective years)

It looks like they've been aggressively hiring for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
ben6 said:
Well a fairer look at this would be NVIDIA head count
1/30/2000 392
1/28/2001 796
1/27/2002 1123
1/26/2003 1513
1/25/2004 1805
1/31/2005 2101

IIRC NVIDIA has over 2300 employees as of last fiscal Q

(All this information comes from form 10-K of the respective years)

It looks like they've been aggressively hiring for years.

All lies - everyone at Nvidia has resigned, down to the receptionist has quit. That's the only reason they would want to hire anyone.

Back