FWIW X1300 benchmark scores, maybe?

Well, "WHEEEE shaders" is definitetly better than "wee shaders". As the rental car lady in Glasgow informed us on how to make the mirrors on our car retract, "just push the wee button".

Graham said:
ROTFLOL

ATI X850 Series said:
Overview & Features The Radeon® X850 series is the most extreme gaming graphics card technology ever created by ATI, with up to 16 pipelines, the fastest frame rates and ATI's industry-leading 3D image enhancement technology. The Radeon® X850 series delivers further on the promise of High-Definition Gaming.

then I went up to a thug gansgter and he was like yo shader power weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! shader power in lightning!

Introducing the Most Advanced Gaming Card
The Radeon® X850 series advances High-Definition Gaming with blockbuster features, including SmartShader™ HD, ATI's highly advanced pixel shader engine. With up to 16 parallel pixel pipelines and up to 43 billion shader operations per second, the Radeon® X850 series delivers the power serious gamers need. SmoothVision™ HD combines advanced texture filtering with ATI's revolutionary 3Dc™ image enhancement technology to deliver brilliant image quality without compromising performance. 3Dc™ has quickly become an industry standard for supporting complex, high-definition visual effects in real time.
:LOL:

Radeon X1300, RV515 goes AGP

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26471

HOW ABOUT $100 for a low end board with 512MB? At the same time the board is AGP or PCIe and will have support for HDR and Shader model 3.0? There will be solution for you. It's called RV515 and will be known as Radeon X1300, AGP of course.
At this time we can only confirm that Radeon X1300LE comes as an AGP card while we are not sure whether ATI plans to offer a Radeon X1300 PRO card as well.

The RV515 LE, Radeon X1300 LE is targeting 450MHz engine clock and 500MHz memory while Radeon X1300 PRO is targeting 600MHz clock with 800MHz memory. We know that X1300 LE comes in PCIe version supporting Hyper Memory configurations and this card will have memory working at 400 or 500MHz and the core running at 450MHz.

All those cards are 90 nanometre, derived from R520, have four pixel pipelines and use Shader Model 3.0. The card also has 128 bit memory interface, and supports Avivo video. RV515's 90nm manufacturing process enables feature integration previously unheard of in this price category such as Shader Model 3.0 support, 128-bit memory interface, Avivo video and display technology, a four way memory controller, Hyper Memory support and can address 512MB or even more memory on the card.

These cards should be available at launch on the first week of October.

CMAN said:
I didn't know AGP cards could support HyperMemory....? :???:
HyperMemory is, I believe, just a marketting term for storing textures in system memory, the very thing that AGP has been doing for ages. The only difference is that PCIe has more bandwidth (and I think lower latency, but I'm not certain on that), and thus can do a better job at it.

All R300+ cards have actually been able to render to/from system memory, its just not done for performance reasons.

Dave Baumann said:
All R300+ cards have actually been able to render to/from system memory, its just not done for performance reasons.
Is that not what the AGP aperture size is for?

I would think that the "reason" for 512 MB "low end cards" (aside from marketing), is for Vista. Particularly with AGP cards. We all know that AGP isn't that great (sucks) for shuffling memory "back and forth" from system to local memory. Having as much local memory as possible on AGP cards should go a long way to improving Vista performance.

I would imagine that we will be going back to some scripted "OS Graphics" benchmarks (Everyone remember Ziff Davis UI benchmarks back in the day? :cool: ) pretty soon, and particularly for AGP cards, having more local memory should be a big benefit.

_xxx_ said:
AFAICR it's only there for storing textures. But I'm not sure, just picked that up somewhere.
That may well be due to AGP's abysmal readback performance, though, not due to hard-wired limitations.

AFAIK AGP aperture memory can be used for any data like textures, vertices etc. the GPU can also access from its local memory. But not for framebuffer or render targets.

Joe DeFuria said:
I would think that the "reason" for 512 MB "low end cards" (aside from marketing), is for Vista. Particularly with AGP cards. We all know that AGP isn't that great (sucks) for shuffling memory "back and forth" from system to local memory. Having as much local memory as possible on AGP cards should go a long way to improving Vista performance.

I would imagine that we will be going back to some scripted "OS Graphics" benchmarks (Everyone remember Ziff Davis UI benchmarks back in the day? :cool: ) pretty soon, and particularly for AGP cards, having more local memory should be a big benefit.

Will the OS really need that much video memory...oh wait, nevermind. I guess it is being programmed by Microsoft. :devilish:

Galduta said:
:oops:

Let me check my pants... egads! Obviously I would like to see some official stuff, but screenshot of the chip and 3DMark05 picks go a bit to showing this is legit.

X1300 beating a 6600? The GT is in the 29xx range. Your talking about an X1300, a low end part, beating a high-midrange part from two years ago (9800Pro, ~23xx) and last years low-midrange (6600, ~25xx) and very close to the best midrange product (6600gt, ~29xx).

This is really good news for the "baseline" performance. The R9200, FX5200, GF6200, X300 (and X600) are just dogs. A really bad balance of (non-)performance and features.

Looks like the X1300 can play games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, FarCry, BattleField 2, etc... at decent resolutions and most of the features at respectible levels. This is great news for gamers, and great news for ATI. Obviously nice to have the fastest flagship model, but many more consumers will have low end products comparatively. And in the long run the hardware the low end guys has determines what features the top end guys get. If they can get this out the door for $100 (which sounds reasonable because a 6600GT can be had for $140) then this is indeed exciting times for consumers.

I wonder how much of the R520's architecture is shared with R515?

Acert93 said:
:oops:
I wonder how much of the R520's architecture is shared with R515?

There has been some speculation that R520~4XRV515
Anyway, Dave has hinted that the two are related, at least more related than R520 is to RV530.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back