Serenity (** warning: spoilers ahead! **)

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Ok so the movie will be released in about a week. I wasnt going to start the movie thread for a few days but i just got this from instapundit, so i thought it was a good excuse to start the thread.

http://instapundit.com/archives/025717.php
MOVIE SEEKS BLOG REVIEWERS: The PR folks for the forthcoming Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, etc.) science fiction movie Serenity are inviting bloggers to advance screenings. (List of cities here via an Excel document that didn't quite format right, but it's legible). It's free, and all they ask is that you blog something, good or bad, about it.

If you're interested, email 'em at rsvp@gracehillmedia.com and they'll put you on the list. I'll be going to a screening in Knoxville.

UPDATE: More legible list of screenings here. And here's a Daniel Drezner post about the trailer.

epic
ps in case you do see it early, please dont post spoilers without warnings. thanks.

EDIT:9/30 Posts no might contain spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually taking a shot at this. Probably hubris tho, as it isn't really appropriate for www.heinleinsociety.org so it would have to go at www.dahoudek.com Where we don't have a blog anyway, but have been known to commit review. . .tho many of them have subsequently been moved to the first site anyway!

Well. Meh, wotthehell. All they can do is say no or ignore me.

Edit: Hmm, maybe this is easier than I thot and basically anybody who says they are until they run out of tickets. . .

i don't watch movies alot. and probably will not watch this one...typical b-movie crapola IMO.

although i DO remember (and this is rare) the preview's opening lines to the effect...."we will be experiencing a little turbulence...and then we will explode".....followed a little later by some lug saying "i don't want to explode".

i thought that was kind of funny (of the unexpected sort at least). usually those b-movie things are so full of the 'officialness' they make me sick, to think people think that's what 'life' is about.

John Reynolds said:

urm...for me?..... i LOVED the show and i never even heard about it, until epic started to mention it here. try living in country where population is like middle sized US city..... you are NOT on the top of the list for anything :???:

you think i like it?..... i never even heard there is something named "Firefly" until i read one of epic's posts.....so i checked it and i LOVED it....

silence said:
urm...for me?..... i LOVED the show and i never even heard about it, until epic started to mention it here. try living in country where population is like middle sized US city..... you are NOT on the top of the list for anything :???:

you think i like it?..... i never even heard there is something named "Firefly" until i read one of epic's posts.....so i checked it and i LOVED it....
Do me a favor, buy a ticket to the movie when it gets to your country (and take lots of friends with). Many are trying desperatly to get this series back on. If the ticket sales are high enough it will surely happen. So if you liked the series, go see it at the theater when it gets there. Thanks

epic

silence said:

Oh poppycock. New Zealand, grand total population of four million, is getting this film around Sept 30th. Which blows your assertion above out of the water completely. Just go see the damn film, it deserves the support.

Hell Firefly the series has been through on TV here too.

banksie said:
Oh poppycock. New Zealand, grand total population of four million, is getting this film around Sept 30th. Which blows your assertion above out of the water completely. Just go see the damn film, it deserves the support.

Hell Firefly the series has been through on TV here too.

Croatia doesnt get movies that fast, unless its global release. Wanna swap countries?

Cartoon Corpse said:
i don't watch movies alot. and probably will not watch this one...typical b-movie crapola IMO.

although i DO remember (and this is rare) the preview's opening lines to the effect...."we will be experiencing a little turbulence...and then we will explode".....followed a little later by some lug saying "i don't want to explode".

i thought that was kind of funny (of the unexpected sort at least). usually those b-movie things are so full of the 'officialness' they make me sick, to think people think that's what 'life' is about.

You really have no clue about the movie.

Got a confirmation email on that bloggers thing upstream today.

Sniffs like anyone who asks will be told they're in, no matter whether there are seats or not, and then first come/first serve on the day. That might get ugly.

It doesn't quite say that, but it sure feels like it, because they say "Please note, this confirmation DOES NOT guarantee you a seat at the screening."

Ahem. Being a man of few words I'd lilke to say.... Firefly is excellent. I'm counting the days to Serenity in the UK.

OK. Perhaps some more words.

I never got into Fluffy or whatever that vampire stuff was called so I'm not a devotee of JW's work. I haven't been into 'SciFi' TV since X-files series 1 - 5 :) And the last Star Trek franchise I watched on a regular basic were repeats of the original series back in the 70's along with Blakes 7 ;) I Love Star Wars 3,4,5 and fell no need to own 1,2,3 (sigh)

After watching the serenity trainer a month or so ago I B.T.'ed the Firefly pilots. Amazing. Bought the box set from amazon uk and I'm actually feeling SAD because I've only got one CD to go (last 4 episodes).

Everything just works in this show. The script, the cast, the writting - all uplifting.

I don't know if it's been posted but trailer 3 in high def is here:

http://serenitymovie.com/trailer.html

'I'll be in my bunk'

Rob

pocketmoon66 said:
Ahem. Being a man of few words I'd lilke to say.... Firefly is excellent. I'm counting the days to Serenity in the UK.

OK. Perhaps some more words.

I never got into Fluffy or whatever that vampire stuff was called so I'm not a devotee of JW's work. I haven't been into 'SciFi' TV since X-files series 1 - 5 :) And the last Star Trek franchise I watched on a regular basic were repeats of the original series back in the 70's along with Blakes 7 ;) I Love Star Wars 3,4,5 and fell no need to own 1,2,3 (sigh)

After watching the serenity trainer a month or so ago I B.T.'ed the Firefly pilots. Amazing. Bought the box set from amazon uk and I'm actually feeling SAD because I've only got one CD to go (last 4 episodes).

Everything just works in this show. The script, the cast, the writting - all uplifting.

I don't know if it's been posted but trailer 3 in high def is here:

http://serenitymovie.com/trailer.html

'I'll be in my bunk'

Rob
buffy was pretty bla.
Angel was better, but still was typical teen show bs.
As for star trek.. I used to be a TOS devotee but I've been watching TNG on spike tv and gotten into that.
Original star wars= god.. episode 1 and two are ok in their own right but nothing special.
I would however watch episode 3.. it's easily the best of them.
Never watched firefly..
I thought the trailer for Serentity felt too much like a simple bigscreen version of a sci fi tv show.

*sigh* I just finished Firefly.

A shame they didn't continue that show.

The movie will be nice, but a good serial would be better.

I've yet to figure out what the big deal is with Firefly. Okay, it had an interesting setting. But... other than that, it wasn't that good. The writing was different, although not really that great (yet--Angel was definitely the same way, and Buffy took about half a season to mature). It shouldn't have been cancelled, okay, but I don't see why there would be THAT much fuss about it.

Baron,

as you said, the setting was excellent. The attention to detail was quite high -- caseless bullets, uneven distribution of technology, swearing in Chinese. The dialog was pretty good and the cast really worked well together, actually, the weakest link was the young girl.

It's not that the show was great, I think that's going WAY too far. It was good; moreover, a good show is hard to find, most are below crap. The biggest wow factor was that the show didn't really have any weaknesses, and did pretty good on all fronts.

As for Joss Weadon and show maturity, that's a huge problem with his work, he goes for reasonably long story arcs, but fails to build those on a foundation of well put together concept of how the world will work, in Firefly, he basically got it all worked out from the get go.

Back