Next NV High-end

neliz said:
If you hang around there during the release of g70/r520 posts from gibbo are structured like the following:

"omfg! g70sli 22000 3dmarks! I heard it from a reliable source! here is the link for the pre-order."

"no way is r520 gonna score anything over 9000 3dmarks! I have a reliable source! here is the link to order the 7800 GT(x)"

and the most LAUGHABLE statement (straight from their front page!)

I'm just missing the OMFG WE'RE SO GOOD part there..
They're one the largest computer hardware shops in the UK, they have no reasons to lie about availability dates and certainly not on the frontpage.
You can have doubts about the 3dmarks scores but at that time, maybe the scores were right. After all ATi did several respins and upped the clockspeeds.

HaLDoL said:
They're one the largest computer hardware shops in the UK, they have no reasons to lie about availability dates and certainly not on the frontpage.
And that is another reason why ocuk and gibbo are in a bad book, c'mon WHY on earth would they say they have xt's in stock when they don't? it's misleading advertisement and they should be punished for it, by whatever commercial board they use in the uk

You can have doubts about the 3dmarks scores but at that time, maybe the scores were right. After all ATi did several respins and upped the clockspeeds.

Everybody here allready said those scores were bs and they fall in the same category as the sli 3dmark scores, nV marketing.

anyway, derailing...

neliz said:
And that is another reason why ocuk and gibbo are in a bad book, c'mon WHY on earth would they say they have xt's in stock when they don't? it's misleading advertisement and they should be punished for it, by whatever commercial board they use in the uk
So you don't believe he has XT's in stock, a week before the date ATi said the cards would be available? You really think that it is impossible?
So, you actually aknowledge the fact that ATi won't have any cards available on their real 'launch' date? What's up with you, lost your faith in ATI? :D

HaLDoL said:
So you don't believe he has XT's in stock, a week before the date ATi said the cards would be available? You really think that it is impossible?
So, you actually aknowledge the fact that ATi won't have any cards available on their real 'launch' date? What's up with you, lost your faith in ATI? :D

No.. I just.. haven't got a PCIe mother board yet :(

And yes, Nov. 4th was the time, a month ago right? once you check their site better, it'll show a pre-order for the 28th of november though

16, I believe. The Inq mentioned it a while ago. With the 7800GS and 6800GS launching though, perhaps the ~7600 is further than I'd hoped? :cry:

Is this a new die, or is NV using G70 rejects? It's hard to believe they have enough parts so crippled so soon to intro a probably even more popular SKU based on leftovers. We see ATI do this, but usually at the end of a product's lifecycle, not in its prime.

Pete said:
Is this a new die, or is NV using G70 rejects? It's hard to believe they have enough parts so crippled so soon to intro a probably even more popular SKU based on leftovers. We see ATI do this, but usually at the end of a product's lifecycle, not in its prime.

Can we look at it using the perspective you just mentioned? Maybe the introduction of 7800GS signifies that the G70 is actually very close to or at the end of its product lifecycle. In other words, NV is starting to dump the G70 stocks to make room for a soon-to-arrive chip.

gunblade said:
Can we look at it using the perspective you just mentioned? Maybe the introduction of 7800GS signifies that the G70 is actually very close to or at the end of its product lifecycle. In other words, NV is starting to dump the G70 stocks to make room for a soon-to-arrive chip.
That would seem to be kind of silly, wouldn't it? I mean, the G70 is only like 3 months old or so.

I get at least 5 months - October, September, August, July, June. Sure, the 7800GTX was launched in the end of June, but you can bet that G70 was already produced months before the launch, considering the wide availability at launch.

Hrm, I guess I thought the GTX was released a bit later...but yeah, that makes it just over four months (it was released in late June, and this is late October). Still, this places the GTX as nVidia's fall product (for OEM product schedules, you want to typically have new products set for fall and spring release). So I doubt we'll see any dramatic changes until Spring.

Back