New High-Res Gears of War Screens

I think it's both. You'd have to look for yourself, but you can see the blood squirt out in the same way during the ingame footage we have. Though I don't know if the quality is on the same level...

Well, I do know that shot with the blood in it has to be at least using game assets. The polygonation of the gun muzzle is enough proof of that. I'm still having a hard time believing it's real time, though. If it is, my next question is what it looks like when the blood hits another surface.

Laa-Yosh said:
More polished texture work, very very nice skin shader, and they've already added some atmospheric effects... Time to work on the particles? :p

I actually think it's time to work on the framerate before concentrating on any more eye-candy. This game would look a 100 times better in motion when the animation/framerate would be improved. It already looks great in screens - though I doubt anyone is interested in playing an interactive slideshow.

</rant>

Disclaimer: and yes, i have seen the latest media - but even HALO framerate still doesn't cut it for me.

Besides stuttering (I think that's my computer's fault) it looks at least 30fps in the new gameplay videos, which is good enough for me...

chachi said:
I haven't followed every thing about this game, but the videos I've seen have mini cutscenes interspersed with actual game play, they use the same models but allow the camera to do things you wouldn't otherwise want it to do (like go away from the player for dramatic effect).

I'm not sure how a game full of that would be - maybe it gets old - but in the video it was fine and helped make it more than just a kill everything that moves type game. The bits where Cliffy B talked and then had translations done so the people in the audience could follow along, on the other hand, were just boring. ;)

Ah... I see :)

I was just wondering coz the arms and the gun looked quite different from those pics.

scooby_dooby said:
It's been on the final kit for 2 weeks...do you seriously think they're NOT working on the framerate? :???:

gamespot:

"...The demo version was running reasonably well, with a frame rate hovering at and occasionally below the 30 mark. But the game is purportedly running on only one of the Xbox 360 CPU's three cores, and Epic claims it should at least double that performance number by the time emergence day rolls around, sometime next year..."

czekon said:
gamespot:

"...The demo version was running reasonably well, with a frame rate hovering at and occasionally below the 30 mark. But the game is purportedly running on only one of the Xbox 360 CPU's three cores, and Epic claims it should at least double that performance number by the time emergence day rolls around, sometime next year..."

So does that mean that the game will be running on 2 cores?

PeterT said:
No, it means that n cores != n times as fast for most algorithms.

No it means what it says.

They plan to double the performance number the performance number here is 30fps, so it means the hope to hit 60FPS after multi-threading the engine.

scooby_dooby said:

They plan to double the performance number the performance number here is 30fps, so it means the hope to hit 60FPS after multi-threading the engine.

Does it really?:???:

scooby_dooby said:

Yes, that's what it says, so I saw no reason to repeat it. I explained why it probably does not mean that the final product will run on 2 cores. I really should have said "because" instead of "it means that", sorry for any confusion caused.

I going to go out on a limb here... if you guys really expect 60 fps out of Gears of War when it's finished, I think you should be prepared for a unpleasent surprise. The best you'll be able to expect is a solid 30 fps.

You don't double performance on the premise of suddenly using another core, not in the stage Gears of War is in I'm sure. It's already hard enough going the "multi core approach".

well i could care less cause 30FPS looks perfect to my eyes, but that's what Epic seems to be saying.

It's only been on the dev kit for 2weeks, I'm sure there's many things they can do to improve over the next 6 months in addition to multi-threading the game code

The game has at least 6 months until it hits shelves. If the bottleneck is coding related then there will be improvements. Devs frequently note the biggest changes at the end of development is the framerate. In the beginning you are looking for stability, functionality, and features so you can test and develop. At the end you optimize and hack to get every last frame out.

And a prediction: Halo 3 will NOT shop in Fall 2006. Instead, GOW will slip and be MS's big 2007 titles. Yes, old prediction, but with CliffyB stating only about 50% of the content was created I don't see how they can hit a Spring release and reach all their goals.

Acert93 said:
The game has at least 6 months until it hits shelves. If the bottleneck is coding related then there will be improvements. Devs frequently note the biggest changes at the end of development is the framerate. In the beginning you are looking for stability, functionality, and features so you can test and develop. At the end you optimize and hack to get every last frame out.

I agree Acert, yet note that no developer "squeezes" out another 30 fps by hacking their engine in the last minute. There's solid ground work put into each and every engine - while they do allow for optimization due to the nature of inefficient programming most of the time, it's not that these optimizations will double your performance unless some really sloppy programming is at work. Framerate is apart of a design process - something that you can't change that easy once you've moved beyond a certain stage in development.

Back