RSX- Do you have some new facts?

its the same thing as Microsoft not speaking of its Nvidia GFX in Xbox instead of saying its custom Geforce 3 but more powerful than Geforce 3 (not as powerful as RSX will be compared to 7800GTX)

sklaar said:
Why Sony don't spoke about the RSX?

My opinion is more cynical... but we should find out sooner or later.

Regardless... the RSX will be the main thing that will help the PS3 remain competitive to the XBox360 graphically speaking. The RSX is the best thing to happen to the PS3 and is far preferable to Sony's original plan for the PS3.

Time will tell...

expletive said:
The original plan was to use a number of cell processors and no GPU right?

J

That is what some people have been speculating. Another possibility was some kind of hybrid cell processor with pixel shaders developed by toshiba. We probably will never know exactly what the original plan was.

The above poster is probably correct that the RSX is a better option given the financial and performance constraints the PS3 must abide by, but I think a lot of people here were secretly hoping for a cell based solution. It would have been very flexible and felt less like they were bolting on a PC graphics chip to the system. Despite that, it really looks like the RSX and PS3 should work very well together given some of the recent video content that has been coming out. I'm not as worried about them chosing nVidia at this point as I once was.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
It would have been very flexible and felt less like they were bolting on a PC graphics chip to the system.

Hell, after seeing the image quality of the PS2 for the first time I immediately wished they would have just licensed their graphics subsystem from NV, ATI, PVR, 3DFX or just about anyone who had some prior experience in the field. By using Nvidia tech they saved themselves from a complete disaster...

expletive said:

We don't know that for sure. All we know is that the original patent showed an example implementation where there was a four core CELL with 8 SPEs each and graphics processor with 16 SPEs and something like 64MB of EDRAM. But that really doesn't mean all that much; it's quite possible that was intentional misdirection. Or maybe it wasn't, we don't know. All I know is that it would have been quite fun to implement on 90nm or even 65nm, fun with a capital F.

I just hope the RSX can be properly fed(no bottlenecks displaying, if say you used 4spus to complement the vs'ders) verts from the spus, it could help in the long-term(using ever more spus to increase geometry complexity as the generation goes by.).
edited

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that the RSX can render Star Wars: episode 1 MOVIE in realtime...and thats only using a small percentage of it's resources.....

I heard that RSX new codename is "emotion GPU". It accually emulates your emotions in realtime when your feeling sad...happy...etc....

I'll let you guys know in 2006 what else the RSX can do...........

-Josh378

Josh378 said:
I heard that the RSX can render Star Wars: episode 1 MOVIE in realtime...and thats only using a small percentage of it's resources.....

I heard that RSX new codename is "emotion GPU". It accually emulates your emotions in realtime when your feeling sad...happy...etc....

I'll let you guys know in 2006 what else the RSX can do...........

-Josh378

Sarcasm!!!!1111

O.O

>.>

I honestly don't understand alot of the numbers and terminology that goes into a GPU (passivley learning while being here at B3D). I can't wait till some official stuff is released.

expletive said:

J

The PS3 is just one of many Cell based products that will be coming from Sony over the years. I think a lot of the patents were mistakenly interpreted as PS3 specific.

It seems that Sony's long term plans are:

1) First gen Cell, Broadband Engine, working in sync with a somewhat traditional GPU designed to work in parallel with a large amount of vertex work and other graphic operations done on the Cell.

2) Multi-chip and/or higher number PPE/SPE core system with a custom triangle rasterizer. Vertex work done entirely by SPEs, triangles rendered like current GPUs.

3) Same as 2) but all rendering is unified and performed by Cell chips entirely.

The goal being a massively scalable system using a REYES type renderer.

overclocked said:
I stick with the old proven G70+FlexIO+TurboCache @ 550MHz, thats the RSX :)

Plus the ~20million redundant video transistors replaced by maybe a hardware based GS for BC?

Back