R520 benchmarks - Hardware Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kombatant said:
Sander,

I read your side of the story. That still doesn't justify what you did mate - any serious journalist would never publish a thing like that, even with huge disclaimers in the beginning (imo). The Inq might post those, but not a website that considers itself as "serious". Plus, you continuously fail to provide us with your benchmarking scripts and methodologies, as already said.
Beating_Around_The_Bush

;)

ssassen......

Enough of this crap, please. None of it really matters and none of this would be posted if not for your attitude in the 520 "review". Lets face it, you let your ego get the best of you. You are pissed at ATi and you want to "hurt" them. So much for letting you anger get the best of you. In the end, the only one really being hurt here is YOU. You have soiled your reputation, come across as a very immature crybaby. All of this could have been prevented if you had just left the attitude behind and presented your 520 figures as the rumors they really are. Is ATi responcible for your plight? NO - you are. Has ATi reacted in the best way possible - probably not. But. in all honesty the crux of this biscut lies with you.

As a "journalist" you have a responcibility - that you've totally shirked and missused. Any that have trusted you in the past are going to find it hard to take what you say in the future as having any validity whatsoever. I feel for you....I really do. You are a dog with a bone that just can't let it go.....even as that bone destroys you. This" tempest in a teacup" will last only till the NDA is lifted and the truth is known. And even you know that the truth won't vindicate you, only condemn you. Let it go, please - for your own sanity. You cannot win, have already lost way too much.

In a few weeks we will all have forgotten ATi's role in this, but not yours. We will be caught up in the euphoria of new technology. We will be extolling the virtues of G70 vs. R520...... and happily so. But we will remember you....and not too fondly either.

Do yourself a favor - and us too - end this right now. Want to salvage something? Then just admit that your ego got the best of you. Give up the attitude and admit your figures are only the hearsay that they are - granted they were gotten from a knowlegable( by you) source, but are not represenitive of the final product, as far as YOU know. Mosty people are forgiving...hell, in some ways we have all been there, letting our egos get the best of us. Point is, you still have a window of redemption here...... Please consider using it.

Hanners said:
I know that I would never dream of making some of the comments seen in your response in any shape or form

No matter which way you interpret it, someone is trying to benefit from an arguement, knowing he has the power to do other things:

ssander said:
I'd like to propose you get me a R520 prior to launch and we agree to be nice and civil to one another from that moment on

That.. to me, does not look like a civil closing line of an apologetic e-mail..

Jawed said:
Until you post your full benchmarks and scripts, you're wasting your breath.

I for one will not take anything you say seriously until you comply with the repeated requests to furnish the community with independent verification of your benchmarking methods.

Your continued refusal to do so indicates that you don't have any confidence in your methods and so everything else you might say is absolutely worthless.

Jawed

And so right you are man... This guy has been beating around the bush for days on end. If he's not lying about his methodology, I don't see why he can't provide us with the custom demos. If the results of those cards that are already available could be replicated, that would allow him to regain some of his lost credibility.

The fact is that he seems to think that we actually care about his personal vendetta against ATI. I for one couldn't care less about him not going to Ibiza, and I'm sure that's precisely the feeling of most forum members. There's going to be enough reliable media there to make me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not targetted to anyone specifically, but why the attitude is like 10-year-old kid?

It just shows that everyone is selfish. In my opinion its just getting no-where. I see fault with everyone here, and I seriously cann't expect this, especially if an invidiual is a Technical Journalist or General Relations Manager.

Where is Professionalism?

Sander hasnt provided anything besides "my dog ate the custom demo scripts" so I'm going back to the guessing part ;)

Supreet Virdi said:
Where is Professionalism?

It went down the drain with the posting of the [cough]benchmarks[cough]

Seriously.. the whole world-HA is waiting for sander to withdraw the item.

I for one will offer my appologies if the benchmarks turn out to be true, but I wouldn't count on it.

ChrisRay said:
Obviously no one is making me stay here. I do however think its fair to chime in with my subjective thoughts on the matter. I think it's disapointing people are basing their expectations on the posts from these two individuals. As they really havent shown us anything. While everyone is getting involved in the drama we have lost focus on whats really important. The R520.

*Edit*

P.S. I dont blame ATI PR for doing their job. I mean. He's doing a good job at what hes supposed to be doing. And it shows by the threads I have been viewing. I certainly think this has been a PR disaster either way and he's doing an incredible job of dealing with it.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion, Chris. I'm just pointing out that when the avalanche starts downhill, all you can do is get out of the way and watch in horror. There's no stopping it, and all the "Gee, I wish this wasn't happening" in the world won't do a thing --it must run its course. If you can't bear to watch, you, and all of us, have an option.

Andrzej said:
On a more positive note...

...any 'betting folk' among you want to hazard a guess on real benchmarks ?

Specifically, if you take a 'fewest bottlenecks' system with an FX-57, 2GB memory etc and an R520XT - what kind of 3DMark05 score are you expecting at default settings ?

If memory serves, these are the approximate scores for the most recent high-end cards:-

6800 Ultra: 5800
X850XT PE: 6300
7800 GTX: 7700

R520XT: ?

(Note: Given that I am a newbie here and don't have a 'finger on the pulse' of this community yet - please let me know if you think that this polling-for-opinion is inappropriate - but we have done it recently with the top press and it has proven 'fun' :))

Well, it's more fun getting my post count up this way than posting about somebody whose name begins with "S", a website I can't remember the name of at all or a "debacle" I couldn't be bothered to follow, ..... tooooo closely, as I'm happy to wait for the R520 to be on shelves & numbers to be scattered in forums throughout the world.

martrox said:
ssassen......

Enough of this crap, please. None of it really matters and none of this would be posted if not for your attitude in the 520 "review". Lets face it, you let your ego get the best of you. You are pissed at ATi and you want to "hurt" them. So much for letting you anger get the best of you. In the end, the only one really being hurt here is YOU. You have soiled your reputation, come across as a very immature crybaby. All of this could have been prevented if you had just left the attitude behind and presented your 520 figures as the rumors they really are. Is ATi responcible for your plight? NO - you are. Has ATi reacted in the best way possible - probably not. But. in all honesty the crux of this biscut lies with you.

As a "journalist" you have a responcibility - that you've totally shirked and missused. Any that have trusted you in the past are going to find it hard to take what you say in the future as having any validity whatsoever. I feel for you....I really do. You are a dog with a bone that just can't let it go.....even as that bone destroys you. This" tempest in a teacup" will last only till the NDA is lifted and the truth is known. And even you know that the truth won't vindicate you, only condemn you. Let it go, please - for your own sanity. You cannot win, have already lost way too much.

In a few weeks we will all have forgotten ATi's role in this, but not yours. We will be caught up in the euphoria of new technology. We will be extolling the virtues of G70 vs. R520...... and happily so. But we will remember you....and not too fondly either.

Do yourself a favor - and us too - end this right now. Want to salvage something? Then just admit that your ego got the best of you. Give up the attitude and admit your figures are only the hearsay that they are - granted they were gotten from a knowlegable( by you) source, but are not represenitive of the final product, as far as YOU know. Mosty people are forgiving...hell, in some ways we have all been there, letting our egos get the best of us. Point is, you still have a window of redemption here...... Please consider using it.

I just wanna use the word biscuit in one of my posts too, please. LOL :D

Sander, what in biscuit-H christ are you doing? All those emails make you actually look worse, not better.

You blew the big biscuit now buddy. I know your relationship with ATi is chummy sometimes with your occasional

off-the-biscuit jokes, but you really need to be a little more careful on how you word your emails. This one

for example:

"That's the best ATI currently can munster to prevent them from being totally out of the picture?

I'm sorry, unless you have a R520 on offering I'm not really interested."

This sounds like you're just too good for that and if they don't have an R520 for your

biscuit-eatin butt then screw them. That's the way it came across to me. In all honesty,

you need ATi more than they need you, so you might have thought about that in your

emails while writing them. I guess in the end you just can't have your biscuit and eat it too.

(no insults intended for actual biscuit eaters :))

Too many biscuits ya think? :D

P.S. If you're gonna use the biscuit word, spell it right. ;)

Andrzej said:
Specifically, if you take a 'fewest bottlenecks' system with an FX-57, 2GB memory etc and an R520XT - what kind of 3DMark05 score are you expecting at default settings ?

If memory serves, these are the approximate scores for the most recent high-end cards:-

Between 8200 and 8400 barring some last minute clock jumps (to 650Mhz or so). Only about a third faster than R480 in 3DMark, but hey, R480 was clocked pretty damned high in the first place. Considering there's only slightly more fillrate (but a fair bit more memory bandwidth), I don't think it seems unreasonable.

Then again, I forget how 3DMark scales past 6000 or so, so I'm probably full of crap. :D

Re: Sander's "FINAL REPLY." Lalalalalala, bullshit I don't care about, and no timedemos. Shock! Awe!

Even after your article things still don't look good for you Sander...
* Were you misquoted by ATi? Probably, it's pretty likely if I read the context...
However take a hint from me and start using emoticons, like Andrzej does... emoticons can and often WILL really make a huge difference in how your plain text remarks are interpreted.

I'm sorry to read how things have been escalating between you and Andrzej over the past few months, because I think this could have been easily resolved a lot further back. It only goes to proof that when people are polarizing in a conflict, being reasonable is the first thing to go. In my opinion you are both right... and at the same time both wrong... and I'm afraid you look a bit more wrong than Andrzej in this issue. Because clearly, if he decides not to work with you for a while he simply has the right to... even if you don't agree with his motivation, and even if his motivation would be wrong because he misunderstood you.

Furthermore, and I feel really sorry for you here, you've accomplished the exact opposite of what you set out to achieve. It's not very likely that you can somhow patch up your now shattered relationship with ATi and they will ever work with you again.
You have overplayed your hand at this - and lost in this regard.

However - despite the surrounding circumstances - what it all really comes down to is how reliable those figures you presented are (or better said were), for a pre-production R520 board. And I've seen no proof whatsoever to make those figures - and thus the benchmarks run - look more "real". You don't have to name the source you used i.m.o. (cause ATi will have their heads ofcourse) but at least tell us the board revision, driver revison and release the timedemo's, so things can at least SOMEHOW be verified in a way.
As things seem to stand now, those benchmarks you posted will simply be KILLED by the real "final" product. With final silicon finishing your benchmarks off, and you still not able to produce any form of evidence that they once were reliable, you will have lost a huge amount - if not all - of your credit... on a global scale.

So do us all a favor and simply release the info we've requested - or at least admit it if you cant, so we can close this chapter.

Andrzej said:
On a more positive note...

...any 'betting folk' among you want to hazard a guess on real benchmarks ?

(Note: Given that I am a newbie here and don't have a 'finger on the pulse' of this community yet - please let me know if you think that this polling-for-opinion is inappropriate - but we have done it recently with the top press and it has proven 'fun' :))

Allthough I like your approache, I'm more interested in HDR- and softshadowShadow performancee (Far Cry HDR, Splintercell CT and Fear, Prey)
These are gooing to be the sellingpoints for the R520..not 3DMark

Btw, 9200 sounds about right ;)

Firefox said:
Even after your article things still don't look good for you Sander...
* Were you misquoted by ATi? Probably, it's pretty likely if I read the context...
However take a hint from me and start using emoticons, like Andrzej does... emoticons can and often WILL really make a huge difference in how your plain text remarks are interpreted.

I'm sorry to read how things have been escalating between you and Andrzej over the past few months, because I think this could have been easily resolved a lot further back. It only goes to proof that when people are polarizing in a conflict, being reasonable is the first thing to go. In my opinion you are both right... and at the same time both wrong... and I'm afraid you look a bit more wrong than Andrzej in this issue. Because clearly, if he decides not to work with you for a while he simply has the right to... even if you don't agree with his motivation, and even if his motivation would be wrong because he misunderstood you.

Furthermore, and I feel really sorry for you here, you've accomplished the exact opposite of what you set out to achieve. It's not very likely that you can somhow patch up your now shattered relationship with ATi and they will ever work with you again.
You have overplayed your hand at this - and lost in this regard.

However - despite the surrounding circumstances - what it all really comes down to is how reliable those figures you presented are (or better said were), for a pre-production R520 board. And I've seen no proof whatsoever to make those figures - and thus the benchmarks run - look more "real". You don't have to name the source you used i.m.o. (cause ATi will have their heads ofcourse) but at least tell us the board revision, driver revison and release the timedemo's, so things can at least SOMEHOW be verified in a way.
As things seem to stand now, those benchmarks you posted will simply be KILLED by the real "final" product. With final silicon finishing your benchmarks off, and you still not able to produce any form of evidence that they once were reliable, you will have lost a huge amount - if not all - of your credit... on a global scale.

So do us all a favor and simply release the info we've requested - or at least admit it if you cant, so we can close this chapter.

If these emails are real and undoctored Andrzej hasn't been as forthcoming as he has been saying. When did PR become a pissing and lieing matching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back