R520 benchmarks - Hardware Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kombatant said:
Puting one and one together does not speculation make. I didn't promise magical performance or anything, I am just trying to show why early revision boards (and they way they benchmark) should not be taken into consideration - I thought I was crystal clear.

I meant speculation from myself. I'm not that bright.......or I'm too tired.

Yeah, that it. I'm going to bed now. ;)

Andrzej said:
Really ?

Apologies if you think that

This letter is in the public domain and seems to clearly state the standard by which he believes sites should work when running numbers

My interpretation is that he is saying "you should have the product in your lab - with your regular test environment - have one of the people you trust run the numbers - and then check with the manufacturer to see if there seem to be any issues (i.e. performance way below what you might expect) before going live"

i.e. he has already come out in public to state clearly what he thinks is reasonable/ethical behaviour in terms of testing, results and relationships with vendors

On that basis, it seemed very relevant

Please let me know if you think I have the 'wrong end of the stick' !

Its not that, I don't really care about the performance numbers at all, if they are real or fake we will know in 2 weeks.

Sander's agenda still isn't clear if his numbers are fake other then to kill his own site. I work for a game developement company and work with ATi dev rel and last year when we asked for some demo cards I think it was 4 and only recieved one it was quite annoying, but on a side note we didn't go bitch about it. We asked for cards at GDC and E3 and were promised to get some still haven't seen any, but no big deal we had to go out and buy a couple, but guess what cards we were using in the meantime, its not like we real the x800 anyways, we have our 9700's still here and for the most part if things run well on them they run well on the x800 line.

I think there is alot more to the story then what you are saying and now you go and low ball Sander's just to make him look bad, well guess what he already looks bad, and you going down on him hard like this is just making looks worse.

Andrzej said:
Please let me know if you think I have the 'wrong end of the stick' !

Although you have the personal right for these attacks your first and second post were allready enough to make everyone feel like sander has the wrong end of the stick.. honestly.
The last post.. lowers you, on a personal level .. to sanders brainless bashing.

We all know sander, I've had a private discussion with him when the x800xt-pe launched and Sander made a a rant about the (not finalised yet) clockspeed of those cards (remember 520/526/540.)

It's sewer journalism.. and unfortunatly everyone is lowering to that standard.. I like it much better when you just say "those numbers are wrong".. I'll hold you to those words but for now, I believe you, Kombatant and some other people who are either under NDA or got trust placed on them by people under nda.

Evildeus said:
I thought noone had a X1800XT :/

Maybe the way faster card he has seen is a x1800xl ;)

Anyway I don't trust these kind of claims, at least not from anyone who can't present any hard evidence.

neliz said:
...bashing...

OK - I see where you are coming from

I was coming at it from a different angle, which is...

...he has made a public statement about what he considers to be 'best practice' in terms of testing...

...and that 'best practice' does not seem to have been applied here

I was not focused on whether he was right or wrong last time - just the proclaimed testing methodology

Does that make more sense ?

Andrzej said:

...he has made a public statement about what he considers to be 'best practice' in terms of testing...

I was not focused on whether he was right or wrong last time - just the proclaimed testing methodology

Isnt that why Sander used a disclaimer? Its unfortunate you chose to convey your angle the way you did as it did make you look like a mudslinger.

Karma Police said:
Okay okay we all got our jabs in..... now we can all move on.

Anyone watch the Patriots game? nice, huh?
On that note, I've been trying to find someone on that side of the big pond willing to help with recorded games. Anyone? Help?

No bloody channel is carrying NFL here in Europe, and even fewer are airing them in Finland... And "realtime" play by play @ SI.com was half an hour late at worst. Realtime my ass...

I was told by SI that the game wasn't nice as such. But Panthers winning is always good. Steelers on the other hand seem to be on a roll, and Ben even seems to throw quite nicely every now and then. Then again, what do I know, I cannot watch the bloody things.

Moving into off-topic: Yes, within few weeks we'll all know what's what. In the mean time, kill the ******* quickly and nastily, and then move on. Few people like big bad PR bullies beating fallen victims. Granted, the receiving end is still making (unpleasant) noises while getting whacked, but one clean smack should do it with more class than continuos bashing.

Tim said:
Maybe the way faster card he has seen is a x1800xl ;)
HKEPC claim the pictures they took of the R520 are from a R520XT Rev02.
Either they made a misprint or there are more R520XT out there than what some people seem to suggest.
Even Zardon from Driverheaven claims to have such a board in his possession :
Currently im under NDA so I can not post benchmark results regarding ATI's forthcoming R520 board [...]
I have had some experience with a R520 and I have to say I find the results somewhat suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrzej said:

I agree on the doubtful nature of sanders benchmarks scores.

I am aware of sanders dubious nature in the past, but your post, at least to me, seemed like a "kick 'm when he's down" but that's all a matter of interpretation now is it?

There have been many in the past who based their doubts on the rev02 hardware, which just seems to be in everyone's hands now.
There have been others that have spelled doom on ati because they saw benchmark scores, mind you, all these numbers and information seem to come directly from Asus.

Remember Gibbo at overclockersUK? his sources stating the gtx sli doing 22k in 3dm05? the whole world plus dog fell over him.. but only because HE was trying to make money off of the gtx sales.
Sander has a different agenda, but his credibility is allready at an all time low.
His explanatory post still isn't here and honestly, the way you treated him in the first two posts (respect and .. "facts") are just a better way of at least proving you're the bigger man, not necessarily the right man.

On a more positive note...

...any 'betting folk' among you want to hazard a guess on real benchmarks ?

Specifically, if you take a 'fewest bottlenecks' system with an FX-57, 2GB memory etc and an R520XT - what kind of 3DMark05 score are you expecting at default settings ?

If memory serves, these are the approximate scores for the most recent high-end cards:-

6800 Ultra: 5800
X850XT PE: 6300
7800 GTX: 7700

R520XT: ?

(Note: Given that I am a newbie here and don't have a 'finger on the pulse' of this community yet - please let me know if you think that this polling-for-opinion is inappropriate - but we have done it recently with the top press and it has proven 'fun' :))

Andrzej said:
On a more positive note...

Well.. the first spec r520 was able to do about 12k .. given that everything has toned down I'm shooting for something between 9k and 10k but then again, I think that.. if you want to impress people, FarCry benches are the best way to do it (and this is with rumor and speculation from the march-may timeframe) ;)

And Andrzej, to make things a bit more interesting, you could give away a X18000 XT for the one who comes closest! ;)

Andrzej said:
6800 Ultra: 5800
X850XT PE: 6300
7800 GTX: 7700

If ATi manages to get R520XT to take a 33% performance leep over their previous top model just like nVidia did, I'd say 8379... lets make that 8400 shall we ;)

Ik actually hope it's higher, 'cause my 7800GTX TOP manages over 8800 points @stock speeds... so if you can promise me that it will really beat the most competitive graphics hardware currently on the market... i'll say 9100, a ~45% gain over X850XT PE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back