PS3 controller now a "Conceptual Design"

mckmas8808 said:
Its a lot better than what nintendo came up with. That's all I have to say.

How can you even begin to compare the two? They're like apples and oranges now.

Lord Darkblade said:
Congratulations. Some of us like the existing configuration as much as you seem to like the XBox one, I play for hours on the twin sticks and its really really nicely positioned, the X ones seem rather out of place and uncomfortable, its all a matter of personal taste, ideally sony would make two but that would be a rather odd idea.

My opinion is this.

The primary control should be placed under the thumb when it is in it's natural relaxed position, and that's where the D-Pad is located on the Dual Shock. Basically, hold your arms and hands completely relaxed at your side. Raise your arms so your relaxed hands are in front of you, and the thumbstick should be placed where your thumb is located.

The reason for this is to limit finger strain, and long term damage to the tendons after years of use. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is caused by repetative use of the fingers and thumb in an unnatural position. You don't want to end up having hand surgery by the time you are 40 because of a poorly placed thumbstick, do you?

Guden Oden said:
I'd say MS's controller is like haägen-dazs vanilla ice-cream. Exclusive and yummy, but still just plain ol' vanilla ice-cream when it comes down to it. Nintendo may be crazy, but at least they dared to be innovative.

Yeah, like Nuclear Moose's Ice Cream. Who wants Vanilla when you can have Cottage Cheese Crunch? It's so innovative after all!

Just because it's innovative doesn't mean it;s actually any good.

Powderkeg said:
Yeah, like Nuclear Moose's Ice Cream. Who wants Vanilla when you can have Cottage Cheese Crunch? It's so innovative after all!

And just because something is not innovative doesn't mean it's actually any good.

So what's your point?

.Sis

Powderkeg said:

I wonder if people said the same thing when Nintendo released the first d-pad, or shoulder buttons, or the analog stick, or controller vibration, or - on and on.

The point is, when it comes to controller design, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbler said:
When it was displayed at E3 it came with a placard that said Conceptual design (or something similar). Most of the pictures just didn't include that. It was always a concept piece... Now, whether they will actually change it or not is another story.
follow the link to pictures from Playstation unveiling @ E3 2005

Controller concept design

DEO3 said:
I wonder if people said the same thing when Nintendo released the first d-pad, or shoulder buttons, or the analog stick, or controller vibration, or - on and on.

The point is, when it comes to controller design, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not sure they were the first to release some of those ideas you mentioned. This doesn't mean that they aren't innovative, just not as much as you might think.

Powderkeg said:
And just because you bitch a lot doesn't mean you're actually right either.

Why don't you TRY IT FIRST. We've heard in about 50.000 posts from you now how much this controller blows, yet you've never even touched it once in your life!

You sound like a three-year-old who casts one look at his green beans and goes 'eeeww' without never having tasted them before.

Guden Oden said:

Why don't you TRY IT FIRST. We've heard in about 50.000 posts from you now how much this controller blows, yet you've never even touched it once in your life!

You sound like a three-year-old who casts one look at his green beans and goes 'eeeww' without never having tasted them before.
Well, to be fair, green beans really do suck. ;)

.Sis

onetimeposter said:
do you think Sony will copy nintendos design
If they do, I'd imagine it'd be done through some type of tie-in with the Eye Toy. But Sony and MS are companies built on being conservative and I doubt either one has an interest in associating their consoles with some bizarre input device. Actually, hell, Sony didn't even bother with a new contoller for the PS2. I'm actually expecting the final PS3 controller design to be basically the same Dual Shock controller with some minor tweaks.

.Sis

DEO3 said:

I wonder if they said that when Nintendo released the PowerGlove, SNES Mouse, Powerpad, Virtual Boy, or R.O.B..

FYI.

The first analog stick was introduced by Atari in 1982, not Nintendo (Who didn't have one until 13 years later).

Guden Oden said:

Why don't you TRY IT FIRST.

And thus, the hypocrisy begins.

Why don't you TRY IT FIRST before you defend it? Either that, or STFU and don't tell me to do something you won't do yourself.

Sis said:
And just because something is not innovative doesn't mean it's actually any good.

So what's your point?

.Sis

Most things that are "not innovative" are evolutionary in design, being better than their predicessor. You rarely find someone who continues to make a bad product year after year after year. It's even harder to find multiple companies all making the same bad product.

The opposite of "innovative" is usually "tried and true."

Powderkeg said:
And thus, the hypocrisy begins.
It's not hypocrisy to ask people to try and have an open mind. :rolleyes: Sheesh!

You're bashing this thing left and right without really knowing the first thing of how it'll work out in reality. All I'm saying is, wait with the complaints until you've tried it, and for that you return with an accusation of me being a hypocrite - which is laughable. I never said anything like I think this thing'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread, so take your hypocrisy and stuff it, alright? :D

Either that, or STFU and don't tell me to do something you won't do yourself.
I'll STFU if you STFU. :devilish:

Powderkeg said:
You rarely find someone who continues to make a bad product year after year after year. It's even harder to find multiple companies all making the same bad product.
Ummmm, american automotive industry? ;)

Guden Oden said:
It's not hypocrisy to ask people to try and have an open mind. :rolleyes: Sheesh!

No, it's hypocrisy to make dozens of posts supporting a product you haven't tried, and telling someone else not to make posts because they haven't tried the same product.

You're bashing this thing left and right without really knowing the first thing of how it'll work out in reality.

You're supporting this thing left and right without really knowing the first thing of how it'll work out in reality

All I'm saying is, wait with the complaints until you've tried it,

All I'm saying is, wait with the support until you've tried it

and for that you return with an accusation of me being a hypocrite - which is laughable. I never said anything like I think this thing'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread, so take your hypocrisy and stuff it, alright? :D

See above. Funny how changing one little word in everything you said suddenly shows you are indeed a hypocrite.

Back