MGS4 movie

Platon said:
What I am debatting is the gameplay of this thing, not the graphics. I just want to point out that the feel of the game can be much different that a trailer. Extrapolating the feel of a trailer into the game just does not work, especially when you have to fight against the camera and stuff...

The "gameplay of this thing"?
Mate, there is NO gameplay in this trailer. It's a trailer, it's not "the game" as it is played.
Obviously a cutscene is made to convey things and explain events that can't be conveyed during normal game time, that's why they are called CUT-SCENES. Cause they cut the gameplay time, explain things (or in MGS games' case, they confuse u even more), then they cut back into the gameplay. As such, cutscenes can and should have a more cinematic feel, with movie-like camera angels and general more polished direction.
The gameplay is what YOU make of the experience (usually), the cutscenes are what the director wants you to experience.
That said, i'm not sure what you're nagging about.

Laa-Yosh said:
D'oh, you're right. The company has another product though, that's meant to be a middleware, but apparently it has no name yet. Nevertheless, Endorphin is a standalone app that can export animation clips, so it's only another tool in creating 'canned' animations.

I think that's just Endorphin2.5? Atleast the show I saw on Discovery about it seemed to hint as much; real-time physical simulation tied towards a neural or bayesian control network. The point being there was no human defined, preformed, animations.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
The "gameplay of this thing"?
Mate, there is NO gameplay in this trailer. It's a trailer, it's not "the game" as it is played.
Obviously a cutscene is made to convey things and explain events that can't be conveyed during normal game time, that's why they are called CUT-SCENES. Cause they cut the gameplay time, explain things (or in MGS games' case, they confuse u even more), then they cut back into the gameplay. As such, cutscenes can and should have a more cinematic feel, with movie-like camera angels and general more polished direction.
The gameplay is what YOU make of the experience (usually), the cutscenes are what the director wants you to experience.
That said, i'm not sure what you're nagging about.

What I am "nagging" about is that we have not been shown any gameplay while others will claim that the gameplay will be like what we have seen...

Platon said:
What I am "nagging" about is that we have not been shown any gameplay while others will claim that the gameplay will be like what we have seen...

Make up your mind man:

Platon said:
I made it quite clear that in one of my previous post that I belaive this is realtime and that the graphics that are shown are the real thing and that this is how things will look and maybe even better.

So which is it?

I watched the trailer without sound so I could focus on the graphics and my conclusions is...this isn't comparable to KZ. This is more like RE5 level graphics. KZ is on a whole different level as expected since it's CGI. MGS4 looks great in this small video, but the framebuffer grabs tell a different story. This game is a long ways away so it'll likely improve, but it does look very pretty.

What I find odd about the comments here is that you people actually expect motion captured animation to not look real and smooth? Unless they used a monkey for motion capture, of course it's going to look real and smooth...just look at RE5.

Laa-Yosh said:
I agree, MGS4 is fantastic and probably the best from next-gen so far... But it's amazing how people are totally distorting reality! Just because they want something to be better, they'll overlook everything from the smallest details to large differences. I guess the PS3 has already conquered this gen.

Exactly.

Platon said:

Platon,

I think most people being in shock and awe are in fact more familiar with the Metal Gear Solid series than you. I'm here thinking that the Xbox fans that have never even layed hands on a controller with MGS and played a good amount of time (let alone completed one) in it are the ones that think this could end up a disappointment and are bringing up cut-scene arguments and what not. Just an amusing observation on my part.

µCOM-4 said:
I watched the trailer without sound so I could focus on the graphics and my conclusions is...this isn't comparable to KZ. This is more like RE5 level graphics. KZ is on a whole different level as expected since it's CGI. MGS4 looks great in this small video, but the framebuffer grabs tell a different story. This game is a long ways away so it'll likely improve, but it does look very pretty.

What I find odd about the comments here is that you people actually expect motion captured animation to not look real and smooth? Unless they used a monkey for motion capture, of course it's going to look real and smooth...just look at RE5.

QFT

µCOM-4 said:
:oops: Sorry Mummy I thought it meant Quit F*king Trolling. :LOL:

LOL!!!
No prob.

Anyway, you mentioned the framebuffer grabs, which ones r u talking about? The shots posted on another thread here are upscaled and not really indicative of the real look. The pixels looked like bricks!

Kojima allready stated that he wanted to have realtime an dynamic body language.So i guess they will go for some sort of physic- based procedural animation , behavior and realtime dynamic retargeting.
This is exactly what endorphyn is all about.

To me ,they can (and should !) trade whatever texture size ,polycount or shader complexity to achieve that.
They also want more life in the environements.This is good for me too.
I would feel stupid to go into lengthy nonsensical discussions about srcreenshots ,and static detail nitpicking.
What I expect next gen is all about things that static media can't show.

_phil_ said:
Kojima allready stated that he wanted to have realtime an dynamic body language.So i guess they will go for some sort of physic- based procedural animation , behavior and realtime dynamic retargeting.
This is exactly what endorphyn is all about.

To me ,they can (and should !) trade whatever texture size ,polycount or shader complexity to achieve that.
They also want more life in the environements.This is good for me too.
I would feel stupid to go into lengthy nonsensical discussions about srcreenshots ,and static detail nitpicking.
What I expect next gen is all about things that static media can't show.

I agree 1000%.

I greabbed the beginning of this trailer but it was naffy black-o-rama handycam-o-vision. Are there any direct feeds available yet? Don't these usually come a few days later?

london-boy said:
LOL!!!
No prob.

Anyway, you mentioned the framebuffer grabs, which ones r u talking about? The shots posted on another thread here are upscaled and not really indicative of the real look. The pixels looked like bricks!

The lighting is VERY flat on the fb grabs, while the lighting in the video looks very good. It could be the camcorder recording a display device that makes the lighting look really good because the fb grabs have very weak lighting.

µCOM-4 said:
The lighting is VERY flat on the fb grabs, while the lighting in the video looks very good. It could be the camcorder recording a display device that makes the lighting look really good because the fb grabs have very weak lighting.

You're analysing shots.
Lighting, like many other things, is something that changes and makes us believe it's real when moving the camera, when moving things, seeing how the shading changes, seeing the shadows move. And with HDR this will be even more evident.

Analysing shots is useless.

You will be playing the game, seeing it in motion, and seeing how the lighting changes at every single movement. You will not be pausing it to analyse "the lighting".

That's also in part why I think looking at handycam videos is a waste of time. It only gives a vague impression of what the game actually looks like in most instances.

london-boy said:
You're analysing shots.
Lighting, like many other things, is something that changes and makes us believe it's real when moving the camera, when moving things, seeing how the shading changes, seeing the shadows move. And with HDR this will be even more evident.

Analysing shots is useless.

You will be playing the game, seeing it in motion, and seeing how the lighting changes at every single movement. You will not be pausing it to analyse "the lighting".

That wasn't my point though. What I'm saying is that the video doesn't jive with the fb grabs even if you pause the video. Anyway it looks slightly better than CoD2 in the lighting shading modeling animation department which is expected since this is a big budget title from Konami. Video is kinda dark though.

Shifty Geezer said:
That's also in part why I think looking at handycam videos is a waste of time. It only gives a vague impression of what the game actually looks like in most instances.

Agreed.

Hate to go into comparisons, but slightly better than COD2?
I haven't seen the MGS4 trailer myself yetr, but already based on the screenshots I find that hard to believe, and I'll be very disappointed if it only looked slightly better.

Shifty Geezer said:

Obviously. But it's undeniable that the lighting in MGS4 is VERY VERY solid. Excuse the pun. It almost feels like it's pulsating sometimes, and that's the HDR for you. I think some effects on the video might have been enhanced by the fact that it's a handycam video - the darks are VERY dark and the brights are VERY bright, which happens when trying to filming something "quickly" if you know what i mean.
Having said that, i love how dynamic the lighting is, and how it affects the whole look of the game. Especially those shadows.

What's COD2?

Back