Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

Nice that you cherry picked the reviews. I read comments that said precision was jumpy, and one dude had to use two hands to stabilize it.

And if it works like a lightgun (point to where you want to shoot), how do you whip around in an FPS to precise directions? The 90-degree and 180-degree whips are standard FPS moves. Point it behind my head?

Heh suddenly I can hear the crickets now. Thanks for the informative post LMB.

And if it works like a lightgun (point to where you want to shoot), how do you whip around in an FPS to precise directions? The 90-degree and 180-degree whips are standard FPS moves. Point it behind my head?

How is it done on a standard controller?

Last edited by a moderator:
From Koam over at GAF which I just noticed.

I would like to point out that dispite its simplicity, this thing actually has lots of buttons.

- You have analog and physical movement which covers dual analog.

- L + R triggers by rotating left and right

- L2 + R2 = front and back

- B + A on the remote-style part

- 2 trigger buttons on the analog part (X and Y)

- D-Pad for quick mapping.

doob said:
So far imo i think Nintendo should change the lower a and b buttons up to the sides of the capital (A) for an easier access to our thumbs.
Where they stand now means tipping the main controller over gives you an original NES pad. :)

How that helps with games newer than the NES era, though, I can't say, but they sure didn't forget their roots. I'm going to guess the a/b buttons replicate A/B, so your fingers aren't meant to stray from the A/B buttons and maybe the directional pad on the main controller.

1st effect : "?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
2nd effet : "woooooooooot!" (after having read a few things and seen the video)

DemoCoder said:
You are right : there are no solutions to do that at all ...

"revolution" is there and will bring exactly what annonced : different gameplay for numerous genres.

What did you expect : new pad but same gameplay ?

I don't understand why you are nitpicking with particuliar situations the whole concept ?

Innovation was often in the past :
- Bringing new concepts
- Using old ones in a manner that nobody thought about or in another range.

DemoCoder said:
That's a little unfair, DC. I don't quite swivel my mouse arm 90 degrees to look right or 180 degrees to look back. Surely the mapping won't be 1:1 or speed-invariable. I agree it seems akward at first, tho.

oli2 said:
You are right : there are no solutions to do that at all ...

Innovation was often in the past :
- Bringing new concepts
- Using old ones in a manner that nobody thought about or in another range.
[/quote]

We've already seen swordfighting controllers, eye-toy like controllers, samba-shaker controllers, bongo drums, fishing controllers, etc In some cases, the specialized controller is a big win (dance games, racing games+wheel), but in others (sword controller) they are utter failures.

There is nothing impressive or innovative about 3D positioning devices. They've been around *forever* And they never took the world by storm then either, because, like 3D movies, they seem better in theory, than in practice.

Heh, finally read about this controller. Very, very different. Don't like that it's one-hand only, personally. But maybe some games will come out that make use of two controllers for one player....that could be pretty sweet stuff there :)

Anyway, in response to:
DemoCoder said:
Well, I think this could be the first controller to allow good FPS control for the console. What you'd need to accomplish this is:
1. Default very high sensitivity on controller movement, so that a 180-degree whip can be accomplished with a flick of the wrist.
2. Allow a way to move the controller back to the default position without changing the on-screen motion (easy way would be to just have a button that disengages turning....just press it and whip the controller back forward).

Hmmmm...unsure. Motion sensors in a one-handed controller are likely to be constantly in action. And the range thing, it sounds good but I'm thinking of those occassions where you're in your seat and something 'happens' and you other jump forwards excitedly, or readjust yourself to get comfortable. Having the control mechanism tied to the position of the player may not be too wise.

I'm trying to image a football game (soccer to all you foreigners). Existing games use all the buttons of a PS2 so actions would need to be reworked. I don't know how the motion could be used. The possibility of selecting the player you awant by 'shooting' them sounds cool, but then that would move the controller. You couldn't have a game using both motion-sensing and laser-targetting I don't think.

The use in FPS's has already been described. That'll probably work well. Platformers, dunno. Actually I imagining my sis using this. She waves controllers around like a maniac. If they can use that to controll the game it'd be good (still don't like one handedness though, but I guess it can be used two-handed on it's side. Not ergonomically designed for that though), but any game that uses motion to control a different aspect of the game to the buttons isn't going to work with her. eg. If the motion of the controller governs where the character looks in a platformer she'll be seasick within 5 minutes of play. I think a lot of casual gamers are in the same boat.

Hmmm. I'd would summarize my reactions as.
1) Nice style. Nice to see Nintendo losing the kiddy image and going with an Apple/Sony style
2) Nice idea. Curious as to how it works, but good for them for trying something different
3) Really not liking one-handedness. Unsure of the ergonomics
4) It's GOT to be better than PS3's Bat-erang!
5) The optional clip-on thumbstick is quite a groovey concept, but it looks a bit lame. I also dislike the Nintendo octagonal groove that locks their thumbsticks into 8 directions. I want an analogue controller!

One of those inventions where feedback from users is going to be eagerly awaited to see how they get on with it.

Nice. As a PC gamer, I'm very happy with any controller system that doesn't require me to keep both hands hudled together. Slick design too. I also like the part about using different peripheral attachments with the main piece.

There is nothing impressive or innovative about 3D positioning devices. They've been around *forever* And they never took the world by storm then either, because, like 3D movies, they seem better in theory, than in practice.

You can say the same thing about touch screens and stylus input, but look what Nintendo is doing with it on the DS. Nintendo seems to get it right when it comes to controllers.

DemoCoder said:
It's not, which is why FPS on consoles still sucks.

Well then it must suck really hard when Halo 2 sells 5 million copies without kb/mouse control.

looks like a great idea and will require testing to see how good it really is... I dunno the remote controller style shape does not impress me. Perhaps they will come out with something that will be easier to hold, but well... have to try it first I think

µCOM-4 said:
You can say the same thing about touch screens and stylus input, but look what Nintendo is doing with it on the DS. Nintendo seems to get it right when it comes to controllers.
Agreed.

You will rarely find things innovative by themselves. This is the way they are used that make them so.

Microsoft did not invent the concept of "windows" for exemple, neither did apple.

My initial response was, nintendo is smoking crack, but after a few mins of thinking I realized that this could be be the most revolutionary way to play games, I can't wait. Just imagine swinging the bat in a baseball game in stead of pressing a button, or using a sword your way, not the way that it was programmed to be used, this controller is revolutionary in alot of ways, people need to think outside the box for a second instead of bashing it.

The only thing that concerns is is the rev powerful enough to really make this controller design look revolutionary, like I said you can slice a person with a sword your way, in stead a it being programmed, but that will require alot of extra animation can nintendo pull this off? we will have to wait and see, at least they are using DVD so there should be enough space to add say 50-100 free animations to a sword, and make it look like you are swing it the way you use the controller. If they don't add new animation and just make you swing the controller around to a programmed animation, then the controller won't be revolutionary, it will just make you look like a mad person swinging his remote around.

PS: One thing you can say about it, you will lose wait or strengthen you jerk off hand.

µCOM-4 said:

Well then it must suck really hard when Halo 2 sells 5 million copies without kb/mouse control.

It does suck if you are used to PCs and console FPSes feel utterly sluggish and constrainted in comparison. People have been asking for keyboard+mouse/trackball for consoles for a reason. The reason is, RTS and FPS game control sucks. RTS can be fixed with laserpointing, but FPS won't.

I watched the video now, and... aaaaannnndddd :drool:

first of all this is one very well done video, but if the real gaming experience is even near what they shown there - it is clear.

Revolution for me next gen no doubt about that... I just hope it is close to what they have just presented :oops:

µCOM-4 said:
I don't think that's why they didn't show it. They've talked about not showing anything controller related even before E3. This sounds more functional than ET considering it's modular.

Perhaps, but really Eye Toy had this one covered mostly.

I'm so looking forward to testing this controller out. Nintendo knows what they're doing, just look at the DS.

Me too.

You cannot detect size changes from moving an inch forward or backward with camera technology. Nobody wants to move a foot forward or backward just to get inaccurate movement detection at best. Gyros are superior to a single camera.

Yeah, eye toy 2 is using IR for depth according to another poster. Not the method I mentioned, though still the method I mentioned should be plausible. Though yeah if you calibrate your depth to over just one inch it will be difficult, but it would be too sensitive to be any use for casual gamers. And from what I gather this thing isn't Gyro either. You have two sensors that sit beside the TV.

Back