Official Tokyo Game Show thread

Not in my wildest dreams have I thought it would be a remote.

Wow.

Looks really weird, but I can't wait to try it.

Nintendo has lost their minds - but since I plan(ned?) on getting a Revolution anyway, I guess I'll get to see for myself! ;)

That controller though - wow. We're going back to the future...

Although your arm may get tired, this could be good for FPS!

Analog stick = feet (straif, forward/back)

Remote = Fire, head movement

The lack of ergonomics and bottons is a worry.

Anyhow, if done right it could be just as good as KB/MS for FPS.

As is the fact that it looks like junk for football or sports. But who knows...

Wow, I really didn't expected to look like that, but it definitely is revolutionary...can't wait to try how it really plays.

It seems as though the attachments is whats going to allow this controller to be versitale. I like that their trying something different....

Acert93 said:
Although your arm may get tired, this could be good for FPS!

I think it could be really awesome for FPS's. I'm not sure I agree with the arm getting tired. It sounds like all you need to do is simply move your wrist. Sounds like the controller is very sensitive. If thats indeed the case, it will be pretty close to the amount of energy you spend moving a mouse in a FPS.

I think Nintendo learned from the Powerglove mistake. Although, its amazing how the old idea came back. Maybe VirtualBoy is next... that would be something.

I'm excited. Goodnight!

That's honestly the only real genre i see benefiting from this...

What about tennis? Total control over what angle you hit the ball at and how hard you hit it using the movement of the controller to move the racket. Boxing, two controllers and just box for real. Baseball, would be another obvious example. Swing and hit the ball just by holding the controller and swinging your arms to swing the in game bat. Golf would work similarly as would fishing. Sports are most obvious but I'm sure there are loads more examples if we think about it.

Though I'd certainly be suprised and perhaps annoyed if Revolution developers for not allowed to use GameCube controllers for more standard games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how you would use the "remote" part for an FPS. With a mouse, you can effectively pick up the device and move it back across the pad if you need more room to turn. How will this work with a remote? Maybe you have to press a button for it to "track"?

Also, I'm still baffled that no one has integrated a trackball into a handheld controller. THAT is the solution for console FPS games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda reminds me of a sort of physical tangible version of that cups demo that Sony showed, you know? I'm glad this is coming to pass, I always felt there was insane amounts of potential in a concept like this.

I wonder how it works. Gyroscopic and g-force meters?

One thing I'm worried about are the attachments. Easy extra money.

Games I have trouble imaging being implement with this controller(s?): fighting games... ... that's it... I really can't imagine a proper fighting game.

thomase said:
I'm not sure how you would use the "remote" part for an FPS. With a mouse, you can effectively pick up the device and move it back across the pad if you need more room to turn. How will this work with a remote? Maybe you have to press a button for it to "track"?

Also, I'm still baffled that no one has integrated a trackball into a handheld controller. THAT is the solution for console FPS games.
I don't know about that. I'm a trackball user, and it's just not that good for accuracy. It'd be interesting as a "thumball", but still, proper accuracy would seem to be impossibly (or frustratingly) difficult to achieve.

.Sis

Mefisutoferesu said:
Talking out of my butt here, but: what if you had two sensors, or recievers, at either end of the controller. If the revolution is sending out "pings", then based on timing you should be able to determine which direction the controller is facing. The front should recieve ping first, then back should receive ping "1 unit" later. As you turn it sideways, the delta changes and at 0 ping delta between front and rear, you can tell it's perfectly sideways.

.Sis

Sis said:
I don't know about that. I'm a trackball user, and it's just not that good for accuracy. It'd be interesting as a "thumball", but still, proper accuracy would seem to be impossibly (or frustratingly) difficult to achieve.

.Sis

I find the problem with trackballs is that their to loose. If there was some force pusing back (medium-high) while moving the trackball it may make it better. But issues can probably arrise with that setup also.

Mefisutoferesu said:

From that IGN article.

"It interacts with included motion sensors (which are placed on the left and right sides of televisions) to become a virtual conductor, of sorts."

One thing I'm worried about are the attachments. Easy extra money.

The only thing I am worry about attachments are those cable connecting to the main controller. Why can't they make that wireless too ?

Games I have trouble imaging being implement with this controller(s?): fighting games... ... that's it... I really can't imagine a proper fighting game.

A different kind of fighting game perhaps :)

BlueTsunami said:
I find the problem with trackballs is that their to loose. If there was some force pusing back (medium-high) while moving the trackball it may make it better. But issues can probably arrise with that setup also.
That's a good thought. From my perspective (I've used trackballs for years), the inaccuracy for me comes from having to lift my finger off the trackball as I'm spinning it and then replacing it back on the ball.

Though I remember recently trying out a calibration tool that would smooth over my inaccuracies by applying certain hueristics to the mouse movements (such as, when the mouse moves X pixels, the literal input might cause a curve but the user really wants a straight line, so it adjusts input to be straight).

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that maybe it's not such a difficult problem. Could be cool...

.Sis

Back