Anand has the details about r520,rv530,rv515

Memory is only a deciding factor at a price leve. If one of those people see a 512MB card for only $80 and then turn around and see a 256MB going for $500 you know they are going to have a big "wtf" on their face. Price is the biggest deciding factor when buying things, its generally assumed that the higher the price the better it is. Then its, a 512MB $80 must be better than a 128MB $80 card when its often completely opposite.

PaulS said:
FEAR would like a word with you - I'd go as far as to call the performance there unacceptable, especially in higher resolutions.

And what exactly guarantees you that coming accelerators will do any better with that one?

Hellbinder said:
uh... there is no way you are playing games released in the last year or last few demos at anything higher than 800x600 with *mostly* turned up settings. If you want to play at 1024x768 then i gurantee you are setting the game to medium settings.

I know, I was using a 9800pro for a while till i upgraded to this X8850pro about a month ago.

the difference is low 20's at high settings with dips into the teens at 1024x768 (without AA) and 40-60 at high settings at 1024 with AA.

I guess I should have also added a disclaimer to go along with my post.

I am not a "twitch" gamer, and Far Cry is the only FPS I'm playing right now. I'm mostly playing somewhat older flight simulations and the assorted demos that come along.

I try to keep my resolution at 1280x1024 or 1024x768 at the very least and bump down the settings when needed (like with the FEAR demo). I play Far Cry at 1024x768, high settings, 2xAA, 4xAF and it plays fine, with the occasional stutter that I personally don’t mind.

I guess my point is that the newer cards simply do not do enough for me to justify the huge cost. Using the FEAR demo again, there is honestly not that huge of a difference between medium and high settings to warrant a $400 upgrade.

Ailuros said:
And what exactly guarantees you that coming accelerators will do any better with that one?

...nothing. I didn't say the R520 necessarily WOULD be better - your comment was that you didn't care that much about ATi improving performance over the 7800GTX, since you don't think there are any games which really need the added speed. I gave you an example of a very intensive title which very much does need more.

let's not forget that 9800 and 9800 XT memory speeds were limited by R350/R360 memory controller and not by a decision to have slower/cheaper memory.

R520 memory interface should play a big role here

V

there is absolutely no way to say that even 625MHz/1500MHz will be the final shipping speeds.

I don't understand this, Ati is still "playing" with the XT corespeed? Shouldn't these cards
already went to some reviewers or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
vb said:
let's not forget that 9800 and 9800 XT memory speeds were limited by R350/R360 memory controller and not by a decision to have slower/cheaper memory.

R520 memory interface should play a big role here

I don't follow - are you saying that the G70 can't handle higher than 1200-1300 on the memory. That's very doubtful. I wonder what kind of margins ATi board partners are going to have on these high speed, high capacity memory parts.

Apple740 said:
I don't understand this, Ati is still "playing" with the XT corespeed? Shouldn't these cards
already went to some reviewers or what?

I would guess "not yet", tho obviously some reviewers saw it in action in a controlled environment for Avivo demos (see the Hexus piece linked upstream). On a big-un like this I would guess they are getting their kit at Tech Day to take back to probe on the bench at home. I still don't think I've seen anyone say for sure just when Tech Day is tho. But my impression is it hasn't happened yet.

Jawed said:
Could it be a tech weekend? This weekend?

Jawed

I really dunno. But if, as the CW seems to think, CrossFire launches on the 26th, wouldn't you want to get that out of the way first?

I'm confused why CF hasn't already been launched.

Maybe CF and R5xx have been squashed together into one weekend with CF NDA expiry this Tuesday, and R5xx the Tuesday after.

Jawed

It certainly does seem to be a jigsaw puzzle that ATI is putting together here, with a whole lot of stuff in a short time. I would imagine as much fun as is being had by all, that both ATI and the working press will be happy to be done with each other for awhile in a few weeks. :LOL:

The hints round the 'net would suggest folks have had CF on the bench for awhile. That makes sense to me not only because of its newness probably meaning some struggles, but also because of the near-bewildering number of combinations between graphics cards/mobos/modes/IQ options. Done right that had to be a staggering amount of work.

Then they have their little max res problem with X8xx boards. How to manage that problem, when the hints are it is addressed in R5xx? Well, launch Avivo before CF NDA lift and you kill a couple birds --get Avivo more attention than it would otherwise get when the testosterone dumps on The Big Day, and also have the double dual-dvi goodness on the public record so you can talk about what it means for CrossFire R5xx when you launch CrossFire X8xx.

Then you move to the "main event".

At least that's my analysis of what we're seeing.

Jawed said:
I'm confused why CF hasn't already been launched.

Maybe CF and R5xx have been squashed together into one weekend with CF NDA expiry this Tuesday, and R5xx the Tuesday after.

Jawed

Depends if ati still holds on to "R520 will launch after CF" ..
The 27th (or 26th) seems like an excellent date to launch something (especially regarding the fact that HL2 gets big benefits from 512mb parts)

I love Inq logic.

the Radeon X1800XT - is going to be overclockable to skyhigh limits. We still stick with our story that the cards are going to work at 700MHz+ but this of course won't be the shipping speed. Yields would probably be very low at those speeds.

So they will all be able to overclock to 700+, but just can't be shipped like that.... :rolleyes:

If they ALL overclock like that then ATI WOULD ship them like that. It just seems silly. :LOL:

Back