Anand has the details about r520,rv530,rv515

I'm really puzzled by the memory specs for the rv530. The XT looks like it is 128 bit with 1400MHz effective GDDR3 memory and the Pro could be as low as 64bit with 800Mhz DDR1 memory.

One of those is either massively overendowed with bandwith, or one is massively underendowed IMO. I think probably the latter. Anand are right, the X1600Pro does look like a minefield to buy....

radeonic2 said:
Why can anand post details about the R520 without getting in trouble :???:

Because they're posting what they know up until this point before going under an NDA - which apparently will be tomorrow. From then on out the information we get from them will be in the form of formal reviews.

xbdestroya said:
Because they're posting what they know up until this point before going under an NDA - which apparently will be tomorrow. From then on out the information we get from them will be in the form of formal reviews.
:oops: I didn't read the last paragraph.
Why would they only go under NDA in the near future?

radeonic2 said:
:oops: I didn't read the last paragraph.
Why would they only go under NDA in the near future?

Pre-launch information blackout is my guess.

They (like other sites) will be receiving their card samples for testing in the coming days/weeks, and the NDA's are to make sure nothing with regard to the architecture, actual specs, or performance is revealed until the NDA's expire.

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Pre-launch information blackout is my guess.

They (like other sites) will be receiving their card samples for testing in the coming days/weeks, and the NDA's are to make sure nothing with regard to the architecture, actual specs, or performance is revealed until the NDA's expire.
Interesting :cool:

What's this about?
"Just last week, we also received details about ATI's revamped memory controller which operates on an internal 512-bit ring bus."

Richard Huddy's previous interview seems to make it a point to "hint" that RTT/HDR + AA is likely a capability, so perhaps there will be other new features beyond the pure technical specs that are meant to blow our skirts up here?

With or without benchmark numbers, I'm unable to be impressed without a set of features. Given just how damn CPU bound most modern games have become, I'm really becoming a much bigger afficianado of new features. RTT HDR + AA at decent framerates, as well as the new transparancy AA and mixed-mode AA forms are what's going to be the deciding factor for me. I'm waiting with baited breath to see what new "toys" the R5xx chipset might bring to the table moreso than framerates.

Well I have to say I'm impressed by the prices for the 512MB cards. I don't see how anyone can complain.

And relieved that this will finally put to rest all the 24 and 32 pipe nonsense.

So, the question remains - is 600MHz the top speed of R520 with the soft-ground problem, or with the soft-ground problem solved?

600MHz seems awfully low - although there have been hints before that 90nm was required for the process density more than speed.

Might ATI release an XTPE just in time for Christmas running at 700MHz?

Jawed

I don't see the problem in prices. They seem to be in line with Nvidia's products and if they're also equal in speed, well umh.

Miksu said:
I don't see the problem in prices. They seem to be in line with Nvidia's products and if they're also equal in speed, well umh.
You have this horserace, yes. People have been betting on a sure winner, but now this challenger is coming that's *exactly* as fast as the previous champion. Will people change their bets?

I hardly think so. Launching later than the competition you'll have to beat them outright to come out on top, and failing that create enough confusion as to who's really the fastest to keep the question open for debate. Achieving parity will put you in second place by default.

Jawed said:
Let's see if NVidia announces a 512MB GTX in the next week or two?...

Jawed

I'm sure they will. Someone on a Dutch forum pointed out that on his GF7800GTX booklet it says that it's meant for the "MSI7800GTX-256" and "MSI7800GTX-512".

Karma Police said:
It says the R520 is a 16-pipe, 16-shader chip.

What's so special about the 16 shaders? Isn't that what the X800XT has?

I think that might be hint about the architecture, the x800xt has 16 pipes with one shader unit each (or two or four depending on how you count), the R520 has 16 pipes and 16 shader units - meaning that the shader units are decoupled from the rest of the pipe.

X1600XT is clocked on both core and memory the same as X1800XT, with half the memory bus width.

Does it seem reasonable to presume that X1600XT is an 8 ROP design :?:

Presumably the memory chips on X1600XT are the same as those on X1800XT. Anandtech says that 512MB will be an option.

All of which implies that X1600XT will have a 4x32 memory interface, with the 512MB model having memory on the back of the board too :?:

So with 4 memory controllers, and using quad ROPs, each of the two quad ROPs gets a pair of memory controllers :?:

Jawed

Jawed said:
So, the question remains - is 600MHz the top speed of R520 with the soft-ground problem, or with the soft-ground problem solved?

From my understanding, the problem is solved.

600MHz seems awfully low - although there have been hints before that 90nm was required for the process density more than speed.

Might ATI release an XTPE just in time for Christmas running at 700MHz?

Jawed

This is pure speculation of course on my part, but the obvious lack of an "XT PE" model in the upcoming lineup should mean something.

incurable said:
Is it just me or is ATi once again throwing memory at a performance problem? :???:

I guess I dont follow that statement. We know starting with the 512mb vers of the 800xl that these higher member cards were in the plan to show up someday soon. Maybe when the R520 and NVs 512mb card come your may have a few games that can use that extra memory (during the lifetime that you own those 512mb cards...like games based on Unreal Engine 3 should be showing up with on 6 months)....

Last edited:
Back