ATi being naughty?

trinibwoy

Meh
Legend
Supporter
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1812/

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]ATI and Nvidia have both been doing their fair share of fud throwing, but it usually is ATI that goes out of its way to find fault in new NVIDIA products shortly after launch. So we weren’t surprised to be notified by them of a texture filtering quality issue [/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]with NVIDIA’s top-of-the-line Geforce 7800 GT and 7800 GTX graphics cards.[/font]

ATi really went out and "told" on Nvidia? - that is too hilarious.

They both like to tell on eachother...ATi seems to be more of the hypocrite these days...but both are whiners...

I'm kind of glad they both bust each other, it helps to keep 'em honest.

Besides, both companies tend to know a hell of a lot about graphic cards and I'm pretty sure they keep close eyes on each other....who better to find faults with each other? ;)

but it usually is ATI that goes out of its way to find fault in new NVIDIA products shortly after launch.

Maybe this is because it is nvidia whom resorts to underhanded tactics the majority of the time? Just a thought.

ANova said:
Maybe this is because it is nvidia whom resorts to underhanded tactics the majority of the time? Just a thought.

I think they're about even...and if I had to pick one as worse than the other, I'd go with ATi.

And to digi...yeah I agree...but it doesn't keep them honest...like with this shimmering deal...ATi pointed the finger at nVidia, then went out and did the exact same thing...

^eMpTy^ said:
I think they're about even...and if I had to pick one as worse than the other, I'd go with ATi.
Ahumm...riiight...

Do you remember NV sending out PDFs bashing the kyro when it was released, pointing out that breaklights showed up on top of other graphics when they were not supposed to in mercedes benz truck racing?

Do you think that they pointed out at the same time that their own flagship chip the GF3 ran the same game showing graphics that consisted of nothing but a flying windscreen in an oddly colored and spartan landscape? :LOL:

I think you are somewhat misinformed in your opinion that ATi should be the worst offender in this regard (and I say this as a fairly happy owner of a 6800, apart from the currently bugged "sparkle edition" of the forceware drivers).

Guden Oden said:
Ahumm...riiight...

Do you remember NV sending out PDFs bashing the kyro when it was released,

You're misinformed on that. Nv never sended out any PDF bashing the Kyro, it was an internal document for training their sales representatives. I can't imagine of any company not having such documents. But usually they don't (and shouldn't) leak.

Guden Oden said:
Ahumm...riiight...

Do you remember NV sending out PDFs bashing the kyro when it was released, pointing out that breaklights showed up on top of other graphics when they were not supposed to in mercedes benz truck racing?

Do you think that they pointed out at the same time that their own flagship chip the GF3 ran the same game showing graphics that consisted of nothing but a flying windscreen in an oddly colored and spartan landscape? :LOL:

I think you are somewhat misinformed in your opinion that ATi should be the worst offender in this regard (and I say this as a fairly happy owner of a 6800, apart from the currently bugged "sparkle edition" of the forceware drivers).

Going only on "public outings" where the briefing documents make it to the outside I can see your point of view. As someone exposed to most of the internal mud-slinging over the years, the volume of stuff that you don't see is massive, comes from both sides (and elsewhere) and there's no real merit to discussing who's worse since they're both as bad as each other.

You're somewhat misinformed if you just go by public pissings. That goes for everyone else with some kind of opinion that either IHV is more evil than the other ;)

Anyway, Sander has his little axe to grind at the moment with more than just ATI and really the article is just front for a deeper issue he has right now. I say leave him to it.

nobody said:
You're misinformed on that. Nv never sended out any PDF bashing the Kyro, it was an internal document for training their sales representatives. I can't imagine of any company not having such documents. But usually they don't (and shouldn't) leak.
That somehow was "accidentally" sent to graphics card manufacturers? (Allegedly)

nobody said:

Yea and to add if you actually believed it was only ment as an internal sales tool... :)

And I think both ATI/NV are just as bad when it comes to the wistle blowing. I would have to say NV was a bit more extreme in this case when they authored the "quakifier" program and sent that out to review sites...back in that whole 8500/Q3 issue.

Last edited:
digitalwanderer said:
I'm kind of glad they both bust each other, it helps to keep 'em honest.

Besides, both companies tend to know a hell of a lot about graphic cards and I'm pretty sure they keep close eyes on each other....who better to find faults with each other? ;)
It's a QA service they should get paid for.

nobody said:

BS....

It was sent to their "partners" including store managers like EB.

If Nvidia would stop lowering Quality all the time in a "secretive" way whenever they need to win some becnhmarks.. That somehow never gets reported and gives them an unfair advantage... Well you figure it out.

On that note the Cat 5.8's have some pretty shoddy looking AF on my 850pro. Shimmer city. Its got to be a bug though because its *really* bad imo. and no one could be that stupid.

ANova said:
I think you have a bit of a skewered point of view.
++
Nvidia is dirty.. Nv30 :D
As for ati telling on nvidia, well of course, everyone else is, why would ati want to be left out?

ANova said:
I think you have a bit of a skewered point of view.
"Skewered point of view"? That's a strange expression. Are you trying to say that his point is particularly sharp?:)

Are you sure you didn't mean "skewed"? :)

IMO, Both suck. plain and simple.
but because of lack of real choices on their main market segment, I used to own one card from both camps. (due to fact that it took more than month from shop to deliver my GF6600GT, cancelled the order and now I have just ATI cards. (9700 and 9600) )

not that I would care much nowadays... games that I play don't need that much graphical power anyway. Even the drivers are "old" (using Cat 5.4's I think...), but why try to fix something that ain't broke?

I doubt that we see big price dips... price wars are over. Instead of that, we'll see "Driver Optimization" wars. (whose gonna "optimize" more without getting caught??)

Rys said:
Anyway, Sander has his little axe to grind at the moment with more than just ATI and really the article is just front for a deeper issue he has right now. I say leave him to it.

Ooh, tell us more, you are right, best get it out into the open to tip the balance of private mudslinging to public mudslinging where we can fill out time until October.

Go on Rys, you cannot tease like that and then run away :)

Rys said:
Going only on "public outings" where the briefing documents make it to the outside I can see your point of view. As someone exposed to most of the internal mud-slinging over the years, the volume of stuff that you don't see is massive, comes from both sides (and elsewhere) and there's no real merit to discussing who's worse since they're both as bad as each other.

You're somewhat misinformed if you just go by public pissings. That goes for everyone else with some kind of opinion that either IHV is more evil than the other ;)

I've been suspecting this more recently, but at least a couple of years ago nVidia really botched the public perception front. Is there anything else you can tell us? I'd like to know more about both sides of the story if you have any inclination to tell the tale. :)

Nite_Hawk

Back