Maxtor 250GB ULTRA 16MB ATA/133

well it does have firmware.... and you can set the noise to speed dif. I think there are three settings. You need the tool/utilitys.

I think he's talking about putting it in a modded Xbox (you need to 'unlock' the drives for the hacked bioses). I have no idea!

There was also a rumor at one point that certain drives were simply rebadged, and had an unused platter inside them. Or some such thing. It turned out that it was actually some overzealous users and Norton Ghost that made a small partition that reported its size as being huge though it wasn't. When they wrote to the partition, it expanded to fit whatever they wrote, but did so y gobbling up the existing partition. (If you understand what I mean)

Sxotty said:
There was also a rumor at one point that certain drives were simply rebadged, and had an unused platter inside them. Or some such thing. It turned out that it was actually some overzealous users and Norton Ghost that made a small partition that reported its size as being huge though it wasn't. When they wrote to the partition, it expanded to fit whatever they wrote, but did so y gobbling up the existing partition. (If you understand what I mean)
Yeah, i remember reading the /. story on this. Quite funny.

epic

Maxtor = Meh.

I've used all sorts of Maxtor and I have come to realize that I will never buy one of their drives again. It's Western Digital all the way for me now. Sorry, just had to get this off my chest. Felt goooood. :oops: :LOL:

Phil said:
Maxtor = Meh.

I've used all sorts of Maxtor and I have come to realize that I will never buy one of their drives again. It's Western Digital all the way for me now. Sorry, just had to get this off my chest. Felt goooood. :oops: :LOL:

Exactly the same experience here. I burried three Maxtors and will never buy them again. And I'm also WD all the way now.

John Reynolds said:
And by WD you really mean IBM.

Dunno, does it matter? I tried many and WD are the quietest and until now 100% reliable. I wouldn't care if it was from Coca-Cola as long as it's no Maxtor.

well milkman what is it do you want to be unlocked? dont stand there waiting for us to tell you what your on about.

_xxx_ said:
Exactly the same experience here. I burried three Maxtors and will never buy them again. And I'm also WD all the way now.

Highly OT (but OP seems to be MIA so wth...)

It's funny how most people have an experience like that that puts them off of one brand and, perhaps more importantly, on to another. This is gonna sound incredible, but I have only ever had one drive really fail on me. It was a Seagate...and guess what? Do I buy Seagates after that? Nope. I used to be partial to Quantum, they had some very performant drives in the late 90s, then I moved onto Maxtor and WD. To this day, whenever I see some otherwise delicious looking Seagate drives I get put off, with a very clear mental picture of that single drive of theirs that failed on me.

Before I type my life's story about HDDs, I will just reiterate that if you look across the Web there are always people who got burned and recommend drives based on that. However, if you look at the big picture you will see that you really have two or three large camps saying the opposite of the others. With one exception...the IBM Deathstar. I don't think very many people recommend those.

In my case it was three drives of mine and two from friends. Can't compare that with just one drive failing, right? ;)

EDIT:
All of them different sizes/types

Me too post.

3 different Maxtor drives died on me. Wouldn't count on one for serious data, but I would use one if I had it lying around.

I've owned three maxtor drives in the last 4 years and none of them gave me any problems. You win some you lose some.

Back