"Microsoft aims for hack-proof 360"

IbaneZ

Regular
Microsoft plans to make its next generation games console, the Xbox 360, as difficult as possible to hack. The 360 will have security built directly into the hardware, said Xbox engineer Chris Satchell.

"We've taken security to the hardware level and built it in from the ground up," said Chris Satchell from the Xbox Advanced Technology Group.

"One of the reasons we went with custom hardware design for all our silicon is that it allows us to build security at the silicon level," he told the BBC News website.

"There are going to be levels of security in this box that the hacker community has never seen before."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4218670.stm

Do you think those groups were contracted to try and hack the Xbox 360, so they could see what parts were insecure and fix them accordingly??

Eh, not impressed.

The 1st Xbox had security built into it at the hardware level as well (secret boot ROM built into the GPU/NB) as well as a PIC chip on the motherboard to monitor the system and prevent reset exploits and such but hackers still had that thing cracked wide open in about a year after launch.

We'll have to wait and see what the final X360 hardware looks like after some one buys it retail to get an idea if this is just some more BS or not.

everybody says their system says it will be "hackproof", but unfortunately, every system eventually gets hacked.

Bad_Boy said:
everybody says their system says it will be "hackproof", but unfortunately, every system eventually gets hacked.

Nope, they said that they hope it takes LONGER to hack it this time. MS never said it was hack proof. This was said on the record in an interview with a MS person.

therealskywolf said:
I would just like to know how Hackers already got hold of Xbox 360 Kits.

I mean wtf?

This is pretty easy to answer.
MS is trying to make them available to as many devs as possible, there is only so much vetting you can do.
The reason MS has more leaks is simply that more people have information....

We have a lead programmer at work, working on a PS3 title, he can't even see the documentation, because his nationality isn't on the list that Sony legal approved!

carpediem said:
Nope, they said that they hope it takes LONGER to hack it this time. MS never said it was hack proof. This was said on the record in an interview with a MS person.

regardless if they said it was hackproof or just harder to hack, its still going to get hacked.

They could always go tinfoil-hat paranoid and encase every circuit board with a silicone membrane permeated by thousands of hair-thin conductive wires that would release acid onto the chips if so much as one connection is severed.

The console would run the heavily encrypted OS on top a hardware virtual machine that is in a shielded EEPROM that is itself shielded by two and a half pounds of plastique.

This console would weigh in at 25 pounds, be capable of electrocuting a bull elephant, and cost 3.5 million dollars.

It would probably be hacked after a year and a half.

They could just use one of the Dallas high security microcontrollers. They will destroy their internal memory if you try to use a ROM reader on it, take it apart, bus sniffing, and a few other ways too. A few arcade games have used them and MAME devs haven not yet found a way to get the internal data.

I've heard that someone in a lab was able to crack one using an electron microscope though...

I think a 1/8" thick layer of epoxy on the whole board would keep about 99.9% of hackers from even attempting anything. But that would cost about $2 an xbox...so they won't do that.

Reznor007 said:
They could just use one of the Dallas high security microcontrollers. They will destroy their internal memory if you try to use a ROM reader on it, take it apart, bus sniffing, and a few other ways too. A few arcade games have used them and MAME devs haven not yet found a way to get the internal data.

I've heard that someone in a lab was able to crack one using an electron microscope though...

Nah there was some .gov hardware that was made by IBM that had similar types of protections + some other stuff too that got hacked several years ago, can't remember the name of it but was back in 1992 or so IIRC.

Fact of the matter is if someone has physical access to your hardware its only a matter of time before they hack it. The most they can do is make it such a nusiance that none of the "casual" console modders will want to bother trying.

Ug Lee said:
Make something more idiot proof and they'll just come up with a better idiot.

Very true. The higher profile the security implementation the more fame that will be earned by hacking it. I wouldn't be suprised to see it hacked faster with a stronger security implementation just because they will attract the attention of the very very smart hackers rather than the people just trying to copy videogames.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
Very true. The higher profile the security implementation the more fame that will be earned by hacking it. I wouldn't be suprised to see it hacked faster with a stronger security implementation just because they will attract the attention of the very very smart hackers rather than the people just trying to copy videogames.

Nite_Hawk

I completely agree. Microsoft saying this openly and with as much publicity as they get is just asking for it. The bigger they announce it, the more hackers will be interested in breaking it, the more competitions revs up, the faster it's cracked.

I'll give it a week after it's released. You know some guy in his basement won't let himself sleep until he's figured it out. Then the rest of us simply have to google it. ;)

Back