New HDR demo

Ok, I updated drivers to the latest ones on NV's site, now instead of throwing up an empty window and complaining about no cable TV available ( ;) ), it simply doesn't do anything other than make a button on the taskbar and occupy one of the hardware threads of my CPU to 100%. No window, and NO GRAPHICS.

I don't want to ridicule people of l33ter sk1llz than myself, but if windows games were as dodgy as Humus' demo coding, everybody would be up in arms! ;) It's becoming sort of a tradition of the new great demo that never runs properly on NV hardware... :LOL: Of course, it might all be NV's fault though, I've no real clue.

Sounds like your own issue though. Every other 6x00 card seems to be running it now, but with that weird pixilation thing now. Though when that's not happening it does look pretty damn great.

Guden Oden said:
I don't want to ridicule people of l33ter sk1llz than myself, but if windows games were as dodgy as Humus' demo coding, everybody would be up in arms! ;) It's becoming sort of a tradition of the new great demo that never runs properly on NV hardware... :LOL: Of course, it might all be NV's fault though, I've no real clue.

Well, that's life if you insist on using the latest and greatest features and only have one platform to test on. It's bound to cause issues. It's a good way to make people update their drivers though. :p

radeonic2 said:
So why can't I force AF in the nvidia ctrl panal?

AF is enabled by the demo itself, so there's no need. AA on the other hand is not available due to the fact that I'm using a floating point render target.

Johnny_Physics said:
It's nice to see I'm not alone in seeing this.

This is from my 6600GT by the way.

Interestingly, the "pixels" are 4x4 tiles. Not sure what that tells me though, but it makes me think it's more likely to be a driver bug than an app problem.

Humus said:
AF is enabled by the demo itself, so there's no need. AA on the other hand is not available due to the fact that I'm using a floating point render target.
Im just unsure why forced breaks it since I've never had that problem with far cry or the new splinter cell.
I used to assume AF worked in every app untill I played richard burns really (not really related to your demo since you enable it in the app tho).
Now I'm unsure :???:

For what it's worth, I face the same problem Humus does, but on the other end of the spectrum. I primarily develop and test on Nvidia hardware. It seems more often than not, when I implement new effects and features using the latest and greatest today's hardware has to offer, It'll "just work" on my Nvidia systems but fall flat on it's face on my only ATI system. Humus, for the love of god tell me ATI has fixed the glGenerateMipmapEXT bug and it'll be in the coming driver releases :)

Humus said:
Well, that's life if you insist on using the latest and greatest features and only have one platform to test on. It's bound to cause issues.
Shouldn't a man of your salary be able to buy a second PC with a NV card in it to test things on? ;)

Anyway, isn't it WEIRD that things aren't just automagically working in the 3D realm if you follow the rules and do stuff the way you're supposed to? Standard windows API function calls don't suddenly start to freak out if they run on AMD or VIA or Transmeta CPUs, but hop from ATi to NV and DX goes absolutely bananas...

It's a good way to make people update their drivers though. :p
Hey... Now that you mention it, that IS true! Last two times I updated my drivers was because I was trying one of your new demos. ;)

Humus said:
Alright, try again now and see if it's any better.

For the most part it looks good. Perhaps not everyone will notice this is in the auto fly mode, but there are brief instances when rendering still fails. It can be easily spotted when you go into "free fly" mode. Picture included (6800 Ultra FW 77.77).

Furthermore, is there a good reason why it is so slow on the 6800 Ultra? I see people using X800XT getting 120+ fps at 1280*960 with 4x AA and I am getting ~50fps at 1280x960 with no AA. Surely the 6800 isn't that inferior.

I think you can disregard the AA part, as it's not enabled, just selectable...
Yes it's that inferior. :devilish:

wireframe said:
For the most part it looks good. Perhaps not everyone will notice this is in the auto fly mode, but there are brief instances when rendering still fails. It can be easily spotted when you go into "free fly" mode. Picture included (6800 Ultra FW 77.77).
If humus is using FP16 textures for the blur on the 6800 ( which he is since the NV was converting INT16 requests to a INT8 texture ) then the reason this is most likely happening is in that case you have a infinity value in a texture. Generally +/-Inf is rather annoying for simple graphical rendering. We really need some special clamp options to clamp the textures at Max rather then infinite.

Any idea whats causing the problems with ATI users? with the graphics corruption? Since I get it with a fresh latest driver install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the HDR seems to be fixed now. Before when it shifted to high exposures it looked like it was polsterised. Now it okay. Nice one Humus.

The black screen is fixed by disabling FSAA/anisotropic (didn't check which, just disabled both...probably anisotropic).

On my 6600 GT it usually looks good, but sometimes the high exposure scenes show some pretty bad banding around the sun. Might be nice to produce a FP16 version for comparison.

bloodbob said:
If humus is using FP16 textures for the blur on the 6800 ( which he is since the NV was converting INT16 requests to a INT8 texture ) then the reason this is most likely happening is in that case you have a infinity value in a texture. Generally +/-Inf is rather annoying for simple graphical rendering. We really need some special clamp options to clamp the textures at Max rather then infinite.

Good point, that's probably it. The skybox has a maximum value of 78600, while MAX_FLOAT16 is 65504 I think. Try changing the last line in skybox.shd to this and see if it goes away:

gl_FragColor.rgb = min(sky.rgb, vec3(60000.0));

bloodbob said:
Any idea whats causing the problems with ATI users? with the graphics corruption? Since I get it with a fresh latest driver install.

I was just able to reproduce it myself. It seems to be resolution dependent, but couldn't figure out the exact pattern. Also, it seems to be fixed in recent driver builds, but not yet gone public.

Back