New HDR demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
There's a new HDR demo on my site now, complete with the standard butter-on-the-glasses blur effect. :cool:

HDR.jpg

The interesting point, which sort of ties into this thread is that it's using an alternative HDR texture format, though not the same as discussed in that thread. I'm using RGBE stored as two separate textures, DXT1 for RGB and L16 for E, and decode it in the shader for a cost of 3 ALU instructions.

Download here:
http://www.humus.ca/

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool downloading it now btw humus means
this thread

Doesn't seem to run on my R300 though I get no FBO support. ( Downloading the latest drivers now)

Just a black screen with the FPS counter on my 6800LE, Win2K, 77.76.

Oh and:
Code:
GET http://www.humus.ca/3D/HDR.rar HTTP/1.1
Host: www.humus.ca
HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:14:46 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)
Last-Modified: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:59:28 GMT
Etag: "2244aa-29fe29-c72e0000"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 2752041
[B]Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8[/B]
Connection: Close

God I hate installing ATI drivers now I boot up and all I get is a Black screen and my montior clicking between video modes.

Yay for 320x200 graphics!

Looks like you demo finds some bugs in the drivers.
Frist time I ran it the thing worked fairly fine there was a couple of artifacts which shouldn't have existed I reran and there was what the screen shot shows major problems.

The DXT1 + I16 exponent is really the best way you can pack HDR images at 24bits per pixel though I'd recommend not using auto-mipmap generation on the exponent texture and generating it yourself.

If I got fullscreen 640x480 I only get minimal corruption but if you run up the res it definately becomes corrupted.

Attachments

• corrupt.gif
    corrupt.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 57
Works ok on my 9800pro, Cat 5.7.

Thank goodness for the blur control. I thought my eyes were going to explode. :oops:

Same black screen on NVIDIA here. 78.03, 7800 GTX. Between 70 and 100fps or so, 1600x1200, 6xAA, X850 XT PE.

Works great. X800XT PE, Cat 5.8. Getting 100-120 fps @1280x960, 4xaa. I'm curious. Why would pushing the down arrows in the ui increase the values (res, aa)? Seems a bit backward.

Opens a small window border, then an error requester pops up stating "No HBO support", with an OK button. After clicking it, the program exits. Forceware 71.89, on GF 6800.

Any ideas why this happens?

Guden Oden said:
Opens a small window border, then an error requester pops up stating "No HBO support", with an OK button. After clicking it, the program exits. Forceware 71.89, on GF 6800.

Because humus hates nvidia ;)

Guden Oden said:

How about Showtime. (JK) So what is HBO support?

Mmm, is it me or do FSAA and the "eye adjusting" not work in the 'free fly' mode?

Very nice demo though. Pitty that Ati users couldn't see something like this in Farcry but are
stuck with "demo's".

Zaphod said:
Code:
GET http://www.humus.ca/3D/HDR.rar HTTP/1.1
Host: www.humus.ca
HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 03:14:46 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)
Last-Modified: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 01:59:28 GMT
Etag: "2244aa-29fe29-c72e0000"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 2752041
[b]Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8[/b]
Connection: Close

Any suggestion how to fix this? Works fine in IE, but it apparently just ignores the content type. I googled up that adding this to a .htaccess file should fix it:
AddType application/x-rar-compressed rar

But it seems not to have any effect.

Back