Full transcript of Gabe Newell's 1up videos.

aaaaa00

Regular
Given the discussion here, I thought it would be nice to have a full transcript from the 1up Gabe Newell interview videos for reference, and for those without broadband.

Since 1up hasn't posted their own transcript, I typed this one up from the videos.

Again, advance apologies for any mistakes or typos, of which I’m sure there are plenty.

http://valve.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Valve/video5.html

Editor: Let me start with a really hard hitting question, it’s one I gotta ask. <laughs> Has Uwe Boll approached you about turning any of your properties into movies?

[…interlude …]

…has anyone actually talked to you? Because I mean your stuff is very cinematic.

Gabe: Yeah, we’ve met with a bunch of people. I think… I sort of have two minds about it.

One is sort of as somebody who’s running... who’s supposed to be running a business -- which is that a lot of these film projects end up not being very additive. It’s hard to see how the Mortal Kombat franchise has really been moved forward by the Mortal Kombat movies.

And then as a gamer, I think most of these movies are terrible and weren’t worth making, and I would hate to see any of my favorite games sort of mangled like that.

We’ve tried a couple of different times to see if some sort of movie project would be possible. So we’ve had people in Hollywood try to do scripts, and we’ve actually taken a stab at writing the script, and at the end of the day, none of the movies were worth the rights.

Maybe someday, but it’s not going to be made until -- I mean -- our goal would be that the movie is as good a movie as the games are games.

[… interlude: Half Life 2 xbox…]

The episodic content will be better than Half Life 2 was. They may be shorter but the content itself is going to continue to move forward and hopefully move forward faster than we’ve been able to do with these large scale releases.

People really enjoy the closely coupled interactions. A lot of people, their favorite moment of the game was playing ball with dog, and this idea that you have this other creature in the world who’s interacting with you in this fine grained way, where you’re doing something and they’re reacting to it right there.

That’s something we say we need to do a lot more of -- we need to make the player feel like they can rely on, or are dependent upon, other people in the game -- and not at some high level story telling way -- but in an actual “I need you to do something for me right nowâ€￾.

So there’s a lot of stuff where you can’t do anything, you’re relying on Alyx to do it for you and what you can do is get her to do stuff for you, so you’re feeling like the two of you are working closely together.

Editor: That’s really interesting because, at least in terms of console games, that’s almost the opposite of the paradigm where you have a helpless, sort of female consort that you’re guiding through things. Resident Evil 4 was one of the more recent things to add that. Price of Persia did…

[an edit?]

Gabe: You don’t want to have the sense that there’s this box around the NPC and you see these boxes bumping into each other. You want a sense that they’re in the world interacting with things closely, like they can reach out to stuff, they can push things to the ground, they can kick things, stuff like that, and have it not be that sort of fakey box-box interaction.

[…interlude: Future Tech… Image Based Rendering…]

Gabe: There’s this technology that was really exciting that I’d like to see us get into production, which is a different approach to rendering complexity: Moving things into and out of an image domain and then seamlessly interpolating between those motions as you move around. So that everything close to you is physical and geometry, and everything really far away from you is an image, but you have no way of telling that if you do it properly and things can fly out and come back -- so as far as you’re concerned it all feels like the world to you, but as far as your rendering is concerned, you’re keeping your polygon budgets and your shader budgets and your fillrates under control.

We’re focusing on things that have more obvious gameplay significance like NPCs and vehicles and stuff like that earlier, because it’s always good to do gameplay stuff, but I would like us to come back to that -- I’d love to be able to put people down into cities where they can navigate the entire city and have them feel like “my god there’s a huge amount of stuff going on around meâ€￾. That anything I can see I can walk over and in the background that stuff is going from being essentially a skybox to a sort of a low res version of geometry to a high res version of geometry as I get closer to it.

[…interlude: Lost Coast…]

Gabe: What do you think of Lost Coast?

Editor: Looks great, I mean you can tell the difference in two seconds and actually I was just playing on DoD Source, between a non-HDR machine and an HDR machine and it looked really good, you can tell the difference in like a second.

Gabe: Good.

Editor: And the director’s mode… like documentary notes, it’s a great idea.

Gabe: Great, great.

Editor: Incorporate that into wargames.

Gabe: Hopefully that’ll be a standard feature of all of our stuff now. That’s the thing you know, we like to be able to get stuff out to people, like HDR. We can solve all the technical problems get it out and make sure it works with everybody’s display adapters and then DoD takes advantage of it right away.

So rather than waiting until Half-Life 3 ships for our multiplayer games to get a feature like HDR, we can do it in Lost Coast, and then DoD Source picks it up right away. So HDR now and maybe this image based rendering stuff later. It does make it possible for us to do that.

[…interlude: Changing the Game…Episodic Content via Steam…]

Gabe: The thing that we don’t understand -- and that’s going to be really interesting -- it’s like the entire industry has been making feature films, and the door is starting to open for TV shows.

TV shows are totally different than movies in terms of the people who are good at it, and how you structure them. In movies it’s the directors that are preeminent, in TV shows, it’s the head writer, the show runner who’s preeminent.

I think we’ll all be learning a lot. It’s like, "do we need to release 22 times a year?", you know, does it need to be a TV show. Is once a week the important frequency of releasing or is once a quarter ok?

[…interlude: Day of Defeat Source…]

Gabe: There were two sort of big painful periods for Steam. One was when it went from being optional to being the way that everybody needed to get the updates and that was pretty painful for people. And then the Half-Life 2 launch, where we got swamped with not having enough capacity. So those are both painful memories for us.

At least right now, we’re not setting anybody on fire. We seem to be getting updates out on a really regular basis and we seem to have that process really smooth right now.

Right now we’re sort of re-architecting Steam, so people are actually running two versions of Steam right now, they may not realize that but they’re running Steam 2 and Steam 3 along side of each other. The nice thing about having a system like this is there’s no reason not to have your old system and your new system co-exist while you’re migrating functionality from one to the other.

One of the problems that we had was where there were architectural problems that made Friends unreliable, and so the new version of Steam, its approach to connections and how it manages connections should make friends a lot more reliable.

So, just from a technical perspective it’s evolving from a “not annoying the hell out of our customerâ€￾ perspective, I think we’re out of that hole. You know, it certainly turned out to be a great way to sell products, I mean we were worried that people wouldn’t want to purchase products that way, and now that’s not really a concern of ours.

http://valve.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Valve/video6.html

Gabe: I think what we have to do is continue to look for ways to make Steam more valuable to people, to solve problems for people. There are huge numbers of support problems that we can just make go away by proactively solving them.

We still aren't getting display drivers out to people automatically, which makes me crazy. It's like one of the biggest problems our customers have is the fact that they don't have an automatic update facility for display drivers, and it's been obvious for a couple of years that needs to happen, and yet we still don't have that...

Editor: Isn’t Microsoft trying to address that with Longhorn?

Gabe: Great!

Editor: I mean, have them been talking to you about this? I figure they’d probably be talking to game developers….

[…interlude: Steam is the Future... the next-gen headache…]

I’d be more likely to be excited about NVIDIA or ATI saying they were going to have solutions than expecting that Longhorn is going to wave a fairy wand over anything. They keep cutting and cutting and cutting, and I think expectations for sales of Longhorn are getting less and less…

But that's an example of something that would be clearly be valuable to customers, would solve problems for our customers, and would globally reduce everybody's support burden and yet we haven't done it yet.

…Like I had a conversation with people at Microsoft recently, and I said "I cannot point to a single feature in Longhorn that I care about. There is nothing in Longhorn at all that solves any problems for us at all.â€￾

You know, I had the same conversation with the xbox 360 guys. It’s like “The xbox 360 doesn’t make my life any better, and in fact it makes it a lot worse and you’re telling me I can’t rely on having a hard drive.â€￾

When I look at what I need to compete with, the most interesting game property right now is World of Warcraft. Huge retail sales and huge recurring revenue. Not only that, but they have a great experience wrapped around it, whether it’s their forums, or community art, or whatever, they’re not only getting their customers to play the game, they’re getting their customers to make the experience more valuable for other people who play the game. So I’ll go up and download music and watch the movies that people have created, and see fan art and do all these other things.

So when I look at, sort of, what a platform needs to help a software developer do right now, it’s figure out how to beat World of Warcraft, and when I look at the strategies that are being put forward by Microsoft on the system side or the xbox side, or Sony, or Nintendo, they’re not making my life easier.

Like the Playstation 3 makes my life as a software developer much harder. All of a sudden I’m supposed to figure out how to have this asymmetric multithreaded game, right? And I’ve never written a single line of multithreaded code, ever, right? It’s not like I was lying around saying “I need to re-architect every line of code I’ve ever written in order to get it to work.â€￾

So one of my junior programmers, who’s writing game code (rather than system code), could slow things down by, in a real world case, by a factor of 80, because they’re doing something out in the AI, or in the game DLL, which used to be totally safe, and now all of a sudden the whole system just slows down. And the one of the really experienced programmers have to go in and say, “Oh, you can’t tell but you’re doing this, you ran out of register space, and this other thing happened, and no there’s no debugger that shows this to you.â€￾

Writing for SPEs and writing in a Playstation 3 environment, there are incredibly few programmers who can safely write code in that environment. You make tiny little changes to code running on one of the SPEs and the entire thing will grind to a halt. You have no visibility into why that’s happening -- it’s just sort of magically running really, really slow. It’s also incredibly hard to architect things at the beginning so that you can distribute all of your functionality on all of these different processing units.

This was not a problem that we were lying awake late at night saying “oh we would really like to take this on right now.â€￾ You know, we were worried about little things like billing, and forums, and wikis and things like that.

I totally see why Sony wants people to write code that runs on 7 SPEs and a central processing unit -- because that code is never going to run well anywhere else.

They’re saying “make your code not run on anything other than one of ours and we’re betting that we’ll have market share that’s so high that everybody will have to write code for our platform, and other people, you know, “we’ll just starve the air from other platforms by absorbing everyone’s R&D budget and making their code less portable.â€￾

[...edit?...]

Steam was essentially “here is this set of tools that software developers need, focused on solving the problems we have with these next generation of gamesâ€￾. You know billing, updates, product support, connecting our customers together, and things like that.

I would think that for a lot of developers, things like Steam are going to be more interesting than and solve more problems to them than this next generation of hardware and operating systems platforms.

You know the Saturn came out, and that was intended to take this previous generation of games, and create this super complicated chunk of hardware that would help you make the ultimate sprite oriented game. And Sony came along and said “no, no, no it’s not a sprite problem any more, it’s a 3D graphics problemâ€￾…

I think a lot of developers are going to say “that’s not the problem, it’s another Sega Saturn". It’s "how do we connect to our customers?", "get data from our customers, get updates to our customers?", "have closer relationships?", "how do we compete with the customer experience that you get out of being a WOW customer?â€￾ more than “how do we blast another set of pixels at what is essentially a 640x480 screen?â€￾.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabe said:
There’s this technology that was really exciting that I’d like to see us get into production which is a different approach to rendering complexity. Moving things into and out of an image domain and then seamlessly interpolating between those motions as you move around, so that everything close to you is physical and geometry, and everything really far away from you is an image, but you have no way of telling that if you do it properly and things can fly out and come back -- so as far as you’re concerned it all feels like world to you, but as far as your rendering is concerned, you’re keeping your polygon budgets and your shader budgets and your fillrates under control.

Isn't this something like what Microsoft Talisman was supposed to do in hardware?

Thanks for transcribing that, lots good stuff to think about there.

His comments about PS3 game development sucking up development for all the other platforms makes me go hmmmmm...

Makes me go 'ha ha ha' ;) . PS2 didn't suck up the software industry, nor stopped cross platform development this gen despite being alien in design. The prevalence of middleware next-gen will maje cross platform even easier.

Shifty Geezer said:
PS2 didn't suck up the software industry, nor stopped cross platform development this gen despite being alien in design. The prevalence of middleware next-gen will maje cross platform even easier.
Agreed. Gabe seems just a little bitter because Source probably won't be that middleware. ;)

NocturnDragon said:
Isn't this something like what Microsoft Talisman was supposed to do in hardware?

And AFAIK Tresspasser did it in software...

I don't thinks it's that, we all ready know how slow valve works, if it takes 7years for a pc game imagine how long a ps3 game will take, and they could prbably could get something running on the ps3 with little effort but he probably wants something that is going to take advantage of the hardware, and not to port an exsiting engine

aaaah, thanks for this, again. I can't give you any more rep until I "spread it around" as the error message says, but thanks for your hard work anyway.

Shifty Geezer said:
Makes me go 'ha ha ha' ;) . PS2 didn't suck up the software industry, nor stopped cross platform development this gen despite being alien in design. The prevalence of middleware next-gen will maje cross platform even easier.

Not if gameplay coders can bring the whole thing crashing to a halt on one system, but it works fine on another.

So one of my junior programmers, who’s writing game code (rather than system code), could slow things down by, in a real world case, by a factor of 80, because they’re doing something out in the AI, or in the game DLL, which used to be totally safe, and now all of a sudden the whole system just slows down. And the one of the really experienced programmers have to go in and say, “Oh, you can’t tell but you’re doing this, you ran out of register space, and this other thing happened, and no there’s no debugger that shows this to you.â€￾

gameprogrammers, if they want to, can bring any system to its knees, regardless how carefully the system-level code has been written. what gabe is whining about is that his game programmers have now to learn new do's and dont's for the ps3 that they didn't have to before. man, that fact that the universe was not custom-made for his game studio must really suck.

The more I hear from Gabe the more trouble I have respecting him (and his team, apparently) as a talent in the industry.

Ragemare said:
Not if gameplay coders can bring the whole thing crashing to a halt on one system, but it works fine on another.
That'd be one mighty crap coder team who ought to get sacked ;) Seriously there's nothing bad about Cell that devs haven't had to overcome with PS2 save for the multithreading. You have low-level coders for the engine, and high-level coders to use their functions to piece together the game. Any system that allows one coder to mangle the software by a factor of 80 and NOT BE ABLE TO FIX IT (after all if this happens you reengineer the code so it works...) is a poorly run development system.

Gabe's actual example 'you've run out of register space here' can happen on any processor. The only validity I can find in his complaint is IF the software tools are that poor you (or rather, the low level programmers writing the engine) can't trace problems. That's not a system architecture problem but an SDK problem and if that exists, God forbid, it can be remedied over time with improved SDKs. there's nothing inherently dangerous about the Cell system. In fact it's perhaps safer than most systems as all those SPU's are working their own local space with less chance for memory conflicts. I certainly can't see it being any worse. The other concern is the need for smart and talented low-level coders to make the most of the hardware, though there is the option of middleware to ease the burden.

Shifty Geezer said:
That'd be one mighty crap coder team who ought to get sacked ;) Seriously there's nothing bad about Cell that devs haven't had to overcome with PS2 save for the multithreading. You have low-level coders for the engine, and high-level coders to use their functions to piece together the game. Any system that allows one coder to mangle the software by a factor of 80 and NOT BE ABLE TO FIX IT (after all if this happens you reengineer the code so it works...) is a poorly run development system.

Gabe's actual example 'you've run out of register space here' can happen on any processor. The only validity I can find in his complaint is IF the software tools are that poor you (or rather, the low level programmers writing the engine) can't trace problems. That's not a system architecture problem but an SDK problem and if that exists, God forbid, it can be remedied over time with improved SDKs. there's nothing inherently dangerous about the Cell system. In fact it's perhaps safer than most systems as all those SPU's are working their own local space with less chance for memory conflicts. I certainly can't see it being any worse. The other concern is the need for smart and talented low-level coders to make the most of the hardware, though there is the option of middleware to ease the burden.

yes exept Cell's advantage is multimedia and imaging and its weakness from everywhere I have heard is purpose programming. Thats 2 main(albiet PC) developers , infact 2 of the most legendary american game programmers to say PS3 development is too tough for efficient programming (Gabe and Carmack)

onetimeposter said:
yes exept Cell's advantage is multimedia and imaging

These are two areas of strength, not the only ones.

onetimeposter said:
weakness from everywhere I have heard is purpose programming.

I'm going to guess that means "general purpose" programming.

What does that mean?

How relevant is that? (Some devs have answered this question already, implicitly and explicitly)

None of the console chips (well PS3 or X360) are as "general purpose" as they could have been.

This term gets thrown out far too often without consideration for what it actually means.

I have to say that JC and Gabe are treated here as Cassandras.

I have read twice the transcripts and i don't think they are bashing.

They simply say what 's obvious : Xbox360 and PS3 will be pains to program.

Endless debates on examples or single words taken out of context mean nothing.

What is worse is those non programmers judging their pathes or what they have done for the industry, and what they eventuallywill bring now.

Even if i respect people like DeanoC or faf or ERP, and take what say like it deserves (even if i don't understand everything ...), their history and skillfull cannot be put in relation of that of these guys.

I don't see why Epic PR should more trusted than JC or Gabe. Can you say me why ?

onetimeposter said:
yes exept Cell's advantage is multimedia and imaging and its weakness from everywhere I have heard is purpose programming. Thats 2 main(albiet PC) developers , infact 2 of the most legendary american game programmers to say PS3 development is too tough for efficient programming (Gabe and Carmack)
This debate is old hat. Do a search of the forum to see different takes on Cell's capabilities. Gabe wasn't talking about Cell being rubbish at GP in this instance but being too complex to write for - a very different concern and one I don't see as any more valid as PS2 is too complex to write for. And with PS2 we had the world's lousiest software development tools, something the PS3 can't be any worse at!

Actually Sony's dev environment seems much improved if for no other reason SN systems should deliver a good compiler as compared to the admitted "rubbish" on used with the PS2. Sony has gone as far to admit publicly that they put PS2 devs through hell (after devs asked to code to the metal at the end of the PS1's life I hear) and that they are working hard for that not to be the case with the PS3...devs have enough to worry about already. They seem serious and it'll be interesting to see if they can put together an environment that compares to MS's in quality.

"Thats 2 main(albiet PC) developers , infact 2 of the most legendary american game programmers to say PS3 development is too tough for efficient programming (Gabe and Carmack)"

Yea everyone here is right, they must be crap developlers,

Gimme a break people anyone that thinks Sony,IBM and Toshiba are going to be able to come up with development tools overnight to make writing code to take advantag of cell easy think again. Microsoft is the king of software as we know it and they can't even come up with tools to make writing OOO multi threaded apps perform well.

There is no silver bullet and Cell is extremely complicated, I don't trust Japanese developers comments on cell since they are all wrapped around Sony's finger. American Dev's are the only one's that can say whatever they want and not have to worry about retribution.

c0_re said:
I don't trust Japanese developers comments on cell since they are all wrapped around Sony's finger. American Dev's are the only one's that can say whatever they want and not have to worry about retribution.

Whilst I don't disagree with your comments about the lack of silver bullet, I think there are exceptionally few developers, japanese, european, american, whatever, who are in a position to make potentially "controversial" points on the record without facing repurcussions.

c0_re said:
"Thats 2 main(albiet PC) developers , infact 2 of the most legendary american game programmers to say PS3 development is too tough for efficient programming (Gabe and Carmack)"

Yea everyone here is right, they must be crap developlers,

Gimme a break people anyone that thinks Sony,IBM and Toshiba are going to be able to come up with development tools overnight to make writing code to take advantag of cell easy think again. Microsoft is the king of software as we know it and they can't even come up with tools to make writing OOO multi threaded apps perform well.

There is no silver bullet and Cell is extremely complicated, I don't trust Japanese developers comments on cell since they are all wrapped around Sony's finger. American Dev's are the only one's that can say whatever they want and not have to worry about retribution.

I do not claim that silver bullets exist. I only spoke to that fact that Sony is making an effort to make things easier, better and more efficient...especially in comparison to what devs had to go through with the PS2. Devs still will have many challgenges to face. Some devs accept this and are still excited...others do not and/or are not.

Back