Best KT400 mobo for $120 max

Evnas

Newcomer
Hey all...im looking for the best overclocking mobo with the KT400 chipset. Ive been looking at the Gigabyte board, cuz its got nice features, especially for overclocking, and can go to 200MHz DDR without overclocking that PCI or AGP. Anyways, any and ALL input is welcome. BTW, i plan on going with a 2400+

If you're looking for an nForce2 based motherboard (better chip imho), the Epox 8RDA+ is one hell of a board for around $110 shipped. People have hit 234Mhz FSB. The latest bios allows fsbs upto 250Mhz, and mostly full multiplier control with the newer XP cpus. This is the mb I'm running with my XP 2400+. Its very stable. The built in NVIDIA SoundStorm sound is amazing, it replaced my SB-Audigy card.

Yea, ive been looking at the nForce2, since i found out that i can run it with just 1 stick of ram, ,and dont NEED 2 sticks (which is y i didnt look at it at first cuz i wouldnt be able to afford 2 sticks). Ive narrowed my choices down to the EPoX board, and the Asus board (plain version, not Deluxe). Ive heard a lot of good thing about both boards, but ive also heard a few things about the EPoX board that have me a little worried, hehe. Im hoping to get a board that will do 12x200, or 12.5x200 with a 2400+, and hopfully one with will unlock the processor so i dont have to buy an unlocking kit too.

Anyways, keep ur opinions coming guys...this is getting to be a pretty hard decision to make, and i could use all the input i can get

I've seen some people report scary things about both boards. I do know that the Epox board with the latest bios will unlock the cpu and allow for multiplier control. Over at the AoAforums, plenty of people are running over 200Mhz fsb. It seems people are having better luck as new bios come out. Some have had better success after switching out the cooling on the northbridge, from passive to active cooling with an added fan.

I'm running my XP 2400+ cpu at 15*150, since I only have PC2100 memory. After I finish my Christmas shopping, I'll order a set of 2 512M PC3500-CAS2 sticks. The system has been running very stable. I was running 17*133 to see how far the cpu would go, before pushing up the fsb. I just recieved my $239 ATI-9700Pro card. It's running in AGP 8x mode with FastWrites enabled. No issues (yet) after playing games all day long.

I'm very satisfied. But then again, people's own experiences can vary by a lot. I, along with others, had nothing but issues [data corruptions] with the MSI KT4V-L. While there's a lot of people who had success with that MSI board. Myself, I've given up on VIA chipsets, or at least MSI boards.

Back