ATI's X-Architecture Chip

rwolf

Rock Star
Regular
... announced earlier this week the successful fabrication of the high-performance, high-volume PCI-Express graphics chip using the X Architecture.

The X-Architecture is merely a fab-side architecture. Now the chip will be on 0.11 micron, so I suspect it'll be one of their RVxxx series. I'm not sure if they'd be able to make any of the 5xx series chips on anything other than 0.09 micron. So this almost smells like a X800-LE/GT/GTO/GTX sort of part, based off the old R4xx architecture. It seems contradictory to me to have 0.11 micron + high-performance + high-volumn given what we know of ATI's designs; their highest performing part is on 0.13 micron Low-K and 0.11 micron doesn't come in Low-K variety.

Earlier this year, ATI Technologies Inc., Cadence and TSMC successfully produced the foundry industry’s first X Architecture device –– a high-performance, high-volume PCI-Express graphics processor. ATI implemented the device using the Cadence X Architecture design solution and manufactured it on TSMC’s 0.11-micron process. The design eliminated one metal layer, reducing the device’s die cost.
R430?

Chipset?

ATI have disclosed that chipset RS600/RS690 is switching to 110nm to reduce cost.
High volume parts that would benefit from lower cost 110nm process. Except for low-end, discrete GPU need 90nm to achieve competitive clock speed.

Although not a discrete GPU, it does include integrated graphics. With rumors of UMC 90nm in addition to TSMC, ATI already have too many chips for the manufacturing group.

Just my speculation.

no-X said:

I don't think it was R430. Was R430 really a high volume part when compared to the RV370 and RV380? TSMC and ATi only seem to be using X Architecture for really high volume parts, so RV370 (X300) comes to mind.

ATI's Buchner went on to explain that last year ATI embarked on a new design and took an existing Manhattan design in production at TSMC at 0.11-micron. ATI tried not to change anything in the design and just moved it onto the X Architecture.

"We took the design, kept the design size, re-routed it with X and were able to remove a layer – we were able to run comparison wafers and found that we got a lot of yield, performance and power benefits," he explained.
Source: http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA608028.html

RV505 will probably be the first to use X Architecture on 90nm.

RV370 wouldn't quite fit the definition of "high-performance", but beyond that there was this article from last June where they mention that this part would only be entering volume production in late 2005. Would ATI be going into volume production of an ancient ASIC when the R(V)5XX generation is already upon us? But then again, I can think of no part from the new lineup that would be fabbed on 0.11um either. :???:

Since ATi really didn't have to redesign the chip, it could be perfectly possible to have the X300 as their first X Architecture chip... Remember that the X550 uses a new ASIC, while it still basically is a X300 on steroids? X Architecture is used for better yields, power benefits, on high volume parts and for more performance (eq X550 ASIC performs better than X300 while still basically being the same core). And the X550 has proven to be a very popular core since ATi is having problems keeping up with demand. So now that I think of it, my guess is that the X550 is their first X Architecture chip on 0.11u.

Agreed that X550 would be very plausible. Certainly RV380 has been quite successful in the mobile market and ATI will likely be shipping Mobility X600 to OEMs for awhile still, so the latest PCI-E variations of the original RV350 core would seem to fit the bill.

Back