Apple or PC for a laptop

Sonic

Veteran
I've been doing some thinking over the past few days and have decided it is a good idea to pick up a new laptop. I'm currently debating on whether getting a Mac or a Windows based machine. I am really tired of Windows and like the aesthetics o not only the PowerBook, but also OS X itself. It just seems like a really sleek machine. The primary use for the machine will be to take it on the road or even throughout the house to work on 3D models. I do understand that software support for the Mac has been a long time coming and that there still isn't enough out there to make me scream. On the other hand, with Vista having rather bad OpenGL support that may not be the best route to take either.

My main question is, does anyone think that Apple would ever release OS X to the public when it makes the switch to x86? And what are the drawbacks of the G4 compared to say the Merom core that is rumored to be powering the next generation of Mac laptops.

I know getting a Dell M70 would be ideal, but I do have enough power at homes for my rendering needs. This is just fo rmy models and maybe some preliminary renders, nothing great. My main software I use is Maya, if that is any help.

Thanks to anyone who is able to contribute.

I would honestly wait until next year when the new Apple x86 based laptops featuring Intel Yonah cpus will be coming out. They will run faster, cooler, draw less power and you'll be able to dual boot Windows XP/Vista and OSX.

I agree. As much as I admire the Powerbooks' form and functionality, their G4 (not even G5!) chips seem underpowered compared to current Dothans, to say nothing of future Yonahs. But if you find their performance sufficient and you can afford one, I suppose the only thing holding you back would be whatever you need to do in Win that you can't do in OS X. Seems to me an upcoming App-tel Powerbook and an extra copy of XP would be the ideal, albeit a pricey, solution.

If you can't wait, I did see a video over at digg.com a day or two ago of a Sony ultralight dual-booting XP and a leaked x86 copy of OS X. No guarantees on stability or if the apps you use will even work, though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love my PowerBook and, as I'm sure you have all seen, I'vebeen raving about OS X ever since I got it back in April.

That said, I do think that the G4 - while having great thermals and battery life - isn't cut out for heavy computing, like Maya/3D modeling, etc. The Mactel PowerBooks will most certainly be Dual Core, so that will help out there. The counter argument is that Apple may opt for Intel's integrated graphics, whereas currently they run Radeon 9700s and up.

zurich said:
The counter argument is that Apple may opt for Intel's integrated graphics, whereas currently they run Radeon 9700s and up.
I doubt Apple will choose not to offer the option of higher end graphics.

I think the best option for me now is to get something small for now and then do the big upgrade with a laptop when the Intel based Macs come out.

Thank you all for your advice and feedback. It has helped immensely!

Back