Usergroups and Promotions

Zaphod said:
Actually... It might. It isn't his postcount doing him in, it's the reputation, and there are examples in this very thread with people getting theirs bumped by a friendly Senior Member just for asking why they couldn't access their PMs or some such. So obviously; not reading the first page of a sticky - and then complaining about it - have been rewarded in the past. :devilish:

i have read the 1st page though, im just miffed because i havnt recieved any of the default 10 points worth of reputation.

Monty said:
i have read the 1st page though, im just miffed because i havnt recieved any of the default 10 points worth of reputation.
Oh, I'm sure you did. Someone simply must have taken a some of them away before the member ranks were implemented. Any 'rep' comments in your User CP?

Zaphod said:
Oh, I'm sure you did. Someone simply must have taken a some of them away before the member ranks were implemented. Any 'rep' comments in your User CP?

how many rep points can someone remove, cos i only have two bad comments about fonts (dont worry, no more bold) and a good comment for something else.

Reactions: Geo
ok, since this rep thing is all about contribution, why not give a small amount to the people who fold a fair amount for B3D, would also be a nice incentive to boost the team score abit.

Monty said:
ok, since this rep thing is all about contribution, why not give a small amount to the people who fold a fair amount for B3D, would also be a nice incentive to boost the team score abit.

I imagine one answer might be "It'd be a bitch to program or maintain manually". ;)

Tho conceptually there's something to be said for it, it is a community-making kind of thing.

Zaphod said:
Actually... It might. It isn't his postcount doing him in, it's the reputation, and there are examples in this very thread with people getting theirs bumped by a friendly Senior Member just for asking why they couldn't access their PMs or some such. So obviously; not reading the first page of a sticky - and then complaining about it - have been rewarded in the past. :devilish:

Yeah, I'm a softy. <shrugs> And to quote DW in exactly opposite circumstances, "Sorry, I was napping. . .fixed!"

Tho only for change-over folks. :p

Edit: Hmm. Monty went from Registered to Member in one go. Either staff took a hand. . .or they've tweaked the scripts to get around the previous one-level-per-night issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having read the conversation upstream about who should get rep, I just wanted to point at another class beside the "jolly good fellow", the "industry insider" and the "so techie I barely understand what they are saying but I really appreciate them saying it here" classes that I make a point of rewarding when I see it.

That's the folks that bring interesting technical/industry news links here from elsewhere, whatever their other qualities as posters. It's always been a strength of B3D forums that I really appreciate, especially since there isn't a "general news from elsewhere" portion of the front page keeping up with that kind of thing.

Huh, I must've pissed someone off, somehow, because I don't think I have so much negative rep, yet I've been here for a long time and yet am a "Member".
I'd guess its because I neg-repped someone who I think neg-repped me for what I'd consider to be no good reason - a achildish bit of tit-for-tat that I regret engaging in.
I guess that'll learn me - been lurking here and occasionally posting since...well, since the OOOOLLLDDD boards, and I can't even edit my freaking posts.

Althornin said:
Good god, I'm just "Registerd" - damn. So much for that.
You seem to fulfill all the criteria for Senior Member, and according to the information stated by Dave in the first post it is not supposed to be possible to be demoted further down than Junior member (and to to that you need -100 points), so either:

• They're making adjustments to the system.
  • The board is buggy or the rules controling promotions/demotions are flawed.
  • You somehow pissed off the Administrator enough for them to bump you down manually.

Guest a reserved title?

Will it be possible, once I have sp... *ahem* contributed my way up to 1000 posts, to use "Guest" as a custom member title? :D
Or is that title reserved by the board software?

You know I've had my complaints about the reputation systems etc... I'm not entirely sure where I fall in terms of liking or agreeing with it, but for DAMN sure I have seen it abused on more than one occasion. This is a private website privately run and owned so... democracy does not have to exist but... the rules should be fairly uniform and transparent.

Just because you have the ability to boost or lower a rating cause of post count, or time on board doesnt mean you can't still be a jerk.

I think something is wrong when someone can can freely libel you in the form of a "rating" and not have to publicly or privately announce or state who they are and why. Whether promotion or demotion, this not a something that should be considered a "perk" of membership but rather a promotion of fairness and transparency.

If you cannot sign your name to either a promotion or demotion, and be willing to defend it, then maybe you shouldn't be doing either.

Reactions: Geo
Maybe it should kick in sooner than 1,000, I dunno --but I rather think the point is for the senior members and regulars to help police levels below 1,000 posts where there is a tremendous amount of volume. The Senior Members and Regulars themselves, need to be policed by the mods and the site owner.

And in case you didn't notice, two of them just got smacked pretty hard. So it seems to be working so far as I can tell.

The reputation thing is just silly -- it should never be done by anyone but the B3D staff. Of course, my rep would be damned to death if this happens but I'd prefer it this way.

I think the Rep's on the whole okay. Certainly people I think contribute more worthwhile stuff are showing higher ratings, and I pay less attention to people with red squares (and spit with contempt upon those with 2 red squares!). Though it does seem tied in with post count. The devs on the console forum have pretty low ratings despite being invaluable contributors. I also find sometimes I want to give rep but can't because I need to spread it around, even though there's no-one else deserving IMO. AND I've had bad rep twice for two totally innocuous questions/threads. Not for insults or antagonising people or posting nonsense, but for asking for people's POV. Obviously some people have different ideas on what deserves good and rep to me.

Still, no system will be perfect. We can't expect the mods to hand out rep else they'll be doing that all the time. Unless every once in a while if they've been following someone and think they're a worthwhile member, give them a promotion.

Reverend said:
The reputation thing is just silly -- it should never be done by anyone but the B3D staff. Of course, my rep would be damned to death if this happens but I'd prefer it this way.

Well, Rev, you've been crossing swords with various SM and regulars of late, and yet you're still green. I take it that you haven't been getting rep bombed. And I think that's a good thing, btw. But it does show that it would appear the SM and Regulars for the most part have a non-aggression pact --hence my comment that it is up to the mods to police those folks.

Back