torrents

silence

Regular
ok, i wont go into copyright issues, but i really hate when i get like 0 KB/s from 12 sources... i mean WTF?.... how to hell i can get less then 1 bloody KB from 12 sources?
this is just topic about your experience with torrents and speeds.... please dont use it for any kind of copyright violations which are against rules of B3D...

i am more interested in other people's experiences and how they got around it... if they did...

Well, how do you feel about pulling a train of 11 users and you are the ONLY seeder of a file of 18.96GB? Your problem seems trivial in comparison! :)

Guden Oden said:
Well, how do you feel about pulling a train of 11 users and you are the ONLY seeder of a file of 18.96GB? Your problem seems trivial in comparison! :)

it all depends on your bandwidth.... i have sucky 1.5Mbit/192 Kbit conn....
there is no way i could start seeding any large file....
and for such large files you have "super seeding" option... which means that only couple people can conncet to you and rest will have to take from them....

i just wish my conn was more balanced.... it really sucks for torrenting, it makes you look like worst kind of leecher.

one of reason i use BitComet is that i can cap total upload speed for _ALL_ torrents i have, cause if i go over 15 KB/s my conn gets saturated and i lose DL speed.

now its time for usual croatian rant about T-com..... but i'll spare you that one ;)

I've found that the sites you have to register at and accumulate a standing at (build your download amounts while keeping your ratio above 1, generally you're "accepted" after the first 50-100Gb as an insider and cool person. ;) ) give me the best feed....but they also got all the super-seeder rules in place so you need at least a 10MB/s upload just to seed. :???:

I can never seed, but I do keep my ratios up...and I have no waits and I can get a 300KB/s download off of the latest torrents most time for it.

It takes a bit of time, but if you find the right couple of sites (never just one, when you lose it you'll cry and feel sad) it really can be worth it.

heh... i have 4 sites that i visit every day....
its just that i would love to give back as much as i take, but my conn doesnt allow me to...
that sucks. if i had same UP/DOWN speed, i wouldnt even bother with this, but my UP speed is shit....
and i cant give it all, cause if i do, then my conn is saturated and i cant even surf the net...

You can give back what you get, it just takes a loooong time. ;)

I'm talking members only sites, not just visiting the same ones. Non-members only sites torrents can pretty much be a crapshoot. :???:

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

well.... my favorite site is one that has members, but is open to public, so you can see comments on some hot torrents made by memebrs....

it saved me lots of trouble....

If you have a router or you have SP2 (For Windows) installed Forward/Open TCP ports 6881-6889. If your using Azureus (Highly recommended by me) also open up UDP port 6881.

Also torrents are only good if the torrent file is "Popular". I wouldn't recommend looking for an obscure Japanses Rap group through bittorrent sites...and if you do happen to find it...but there are no seeders...don't expect any for a while (unless you request it on the sites forum). What you have to look at with torrents is Seeder/Leecher ratio. The more seeders and less leechers the more speed you'll get. More leechers and less seeders, then you'll get horrendous speeds.

Anime Fan-Subs, DVDs, TV Series and whole music CDs are what I use bittorent for. Sometimes apps....but most apps can be found off of "Sites".

All in all the bitorrent way of sharing is nice for an extremely large file that you could sleep on and wake up and will be done (since once you get going..you get a steady download speed)...anything else..theres probably a quicker way of getting what you need.

*REMEMBER* to forward/open the correct ports!

silence said:
heh... i have 4 sites that i visit every day....
its just that i would love to give back as much as i take, but my conn doesnt allow me to...
that sucks. if i had same UP/DOWN speed, i wouldnt even bother with this, but my UP speed is shit....
and i cant give it all, cause if i do, then my conn is saturated and i cant even surf the net...
One way to help out is if the file is new and many ppl are downloading it then after you have downloaded the full file leave it up all night before you go to bed to help seed. If you cant wait to us the file then re open it later before you go to bed.

EDIT
I have about 12Kb up only but if I leave it up over night, the amout uploaded is aroud 500meg to 600 meg for about 8 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another tip, build your ratio for a rainy day. I keep Azureus running and seeding something pretty much 24/7 anymore. Once I finish a download I let it seed until I hit a 1/1 ratio or better...I usually let it seed until I'm interested in downloading anything else.

Leave a couple GB file seeding for a few weeks and you'd be surprised at how much gets uploaded, and I do "bank" my ratio....build it up to like 1.3 and then I'll let meself "hit and run" (download and quit as soon as you get it without seeding) now and again when I see a lot of stuff I want in a hurry, but my ratio doesn't go below 1/1 so I don't lose my power user status. ;)

do like me, dont use them.
i switched to newsservers and private servers. i max out my 4.5mbit connectioin speed.

**typing this on a 256kbit adsl connection in some small town in turkey

london-boy said:
Only just started!! must be 10 or so.... :oops:

HAHA!!! I'm at episode 135!!!!

not sure if thats a good thing....tEh addiction!

I just started watching Trigun...damn that show rocks..it oozez style..like Cowboy Beebop

its a bit slow... I remember with things like Full Metal Alchemist or Neon Evangelion, i was hooked from the first 3 episodes... This one seems to be a bit slower. obviously, it is also much longer than those other 2...

london-boy said:
its a bit slow... I remember with things like Full Metal Alchemist or Neon Evangelion, i was hooked from the first 3 episodes... This one seems to be a bit slower. obviously, it is also much longer than those other 2...

Oh God...I guess I should warn you now....the "Filler" Episodes will KILL YOU!!!....there so boring and add nothing to the storyline...but bear with it..because once you hit the newer episodes you'll develop a familiarity with the characters and make the newer episodes more compelling.

Back