new oblivion shots

Acert93 said:
What techniques are we seeing in Oblivion and not in Gothic? They both look good and seem to have a lot of detail, but Oblivions world seems more "solid".

Well, Gothic is at (pre)alpha stage right now, I guess there is hardly any lighting at all. In some of the screenshots there are no shadows at all. The only shot that`s a bit different is that one: http://worldofgothic.de/screenshots/gothic3/gc05_01.jpg

I can`t wait to play both.

subsurface scattering on marble ?
SS is for candles ,or skins .
If they can do realtime SS ,why on earth would they use it for marble columns ,and not use it on character skins ?

BTW ,the grass in the first shot ,as good as it looks, is classic cardboard sprite( that's not a bad thing !) .The old Nature demo from 3dmark have done better long time ago.

SSS is for any translucent material. It has a pronounced effect on marble, probably moreso than skin. There's a well know marble figurine rendering that shows the benefit of SSS on stonework but I've been unable to find it to illustrate though.

_phil_ said:
subsurface scattering on marble ?
SS is for candles ,or skins .
If they can do realtime SS ,why on earth would they use it for marble columns ,and not use it on character skins ?

BTW ,the grass in the first shot ,as good as it looks, is classic cardboard sprite( that's not a bad thing !) .The old Nature demo from 3dmark have done better long time ago.

Shifty's right. Marble is a strange solid. Light does somehow go through it a little bit. Though it's much more evident with other things. Marble would be one of the last things i'd bother using SSS on, i'd focus on skin and other things first.

Glass is a stranger solid - it's transparent and a liquid ;) Seriously though if you see a SSS statue render versus it's non SSS counterpart, the difference is much more pronounced than a human with SSS versus without. You can get by with some basic shader work to get close to skin, but translucent marble or porcelain needs light penetrating it's volume. Though in typical non-contrasty light situations most SSS results only contribute a little to the scene. GI is more important in such cases.

Shifty Geezer said:
Glass is a stranger solid - it's transparent and a liquid ;) Seriously though if you see a SSS statue render versus it's non SSS counterpart, the difference is much more pronounced than a human with SSS versus without. .

Mmm not sure about that, i think most people would hardly notice. Most people still hardly notice what's realtime 3D with prerendered ;)

You can get by with some basic shader work to get close to skin, but translucent marble or porcelain needs light penetrating it's volume. Though in typical non-contrasty light situations most SSS results only contribute a little to the scene. GI is more important in such cases

My point exactly. Before using SSS on marble (or other things), we might as well focus on other features that would make the object look very realistic, like proper lighting and shadows. SSS would be the cherry on the cake which not many people would appreciate.

I'd put priority on lighting+shadowing, especially self shadowing. In the ways Project Offset has managed and the latest Madden shots show the lack of such developments. that's the primary need for solid, believable graphics. Next step is soft shadows, GI, and then SSS. Indeed, realtime graphics development should mirror the progress made in offline. There's a reason different effects were developed as they were, as the mirror the most important first pursuit of realism.

Personally, the thing I find the most striking about the first shot of oblivion, and all of the gothic 3 shots is the art direction. The second shot for oblivion didn't have nearly the same artistic merit that the first one did. These days the lighting models, subsurface scattering, and other techniques won't be able to stand on their own.

Nite_Hawk

Shifty Geezer said:
SSS is for any translucent material. It has a pronounced effect on marble, probably moreso than skin. There's a well know marble figurine rendering that shows the benefit of SSS on stonework but I've been unable to find it to illustrate though.

ATI has a demo of it, which was the inspiration for my original post

Executable
http://www2.ati.com/misc/demos/ATI-X800-Subsurface-Demo-v1.2.exe
Video
http://www2.ati.com/misc/demos/ATI-X800-Subsurface-Demo-v1.0.mpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lysander said:
Taking what we have seen in screenshots and reading it into the video... hot!

Too bad I don't like RPGs... but action RPGs? I kind of digged Zelda :D Looks like this will either sink or swim with the AI and story... lets hope it lives up to the hype.

Acert93 said:
Taking what we have seen in screenshots and reading it into the video... hot!

Too bad I don't like RPGs... but action RPGs? I kind of digged Zelda :D Looks like this will either sink or swim with the AI and story... lets hope it lives up to the hype.

Acer, notice after he lists all the graphic features in play he says "rendering in realtime in true HD", think that gives any insight to the other thread regarding rendering at lwoer resolutions?

I'd love to see this video in WMVHD.

J

expletive said:
Acer, notice after he lists all the graphic features in play he says "rendering in realtime in true HD", think that gives any insight to the other thread regarding rendering at lwoer resolutions?

I'd love to see this video in WMVHD.

J
Every dev team is different, and every rendering engine is different. We have seen 720p media from a number of games though so in the long run I am not worried.

It came off of a dvd that I spent all day downloading from Bittorrent. Some say it was from E3 though I've also heard it came from a EB/Gamestop conference held recently. It's only 640x480, not HD.

one said:
IGN has uploaded 4 parts gameplay vid. Interactive objects are cool.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/702/702493/vids_1.html

This game...i'm so anticipating this game. Simply beautiful. I love games that are very art (visually) heavy. I'm watching the one with the deer. The trees....they sway so slightly, its amazing. This game is amazing. This game is on the top of my 360 list.

NOTE: Over 200+ dungeons all hand crafted.....

:oops:

I did notice that the framerate itself is kinda iffy. But this isn't a complaint...mainly because the visuals justify this. Its a extremely good looking game and the scope of this game is very broad.

J_Saint said:
It came off of a dvd that I spent all day downloading from Bittorrent. Some say it was from E3 though I've also heard it came from a EB/Gamestop conference held recently. It's only 640x480, not HD.
On Xboxyd said that Bethseda said that it is from e3.

Back