X360 HD-DVD November 25th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apoc said:

I believe someone posted that already (at least the WiKi part). It seems to all be speculation. Although...the fact that the gamemaker dude updated the WiKi with the HD-DVD could be considered Viral marketing from MS, or it could be some random internet person updating the WiKi and they pulled it becuase it was wrong.

It would be cool if the 360 got HD-DVD...teh epic battle begins!!!

didnt they already repeated a few dozen times it will officially come with a 12x dvd rom drive by now?

hey69 said:
didnt they already repeated a few dozen times it will officially come with a 12x dvd rom drive by now?

Yeah...but some gamers are still holding on to the fact that theres a tiny chance that HD-DVD will be implemented. Its not really there fault though..MS Viral Marketing is just fanning the flames...and I guess thats the point really.

apparently the offical xbox magazine is saying there will be a 3rd sku . They aren't saying whats in it so that is why these rumors are starting up again .

I still believe there can be a hd-dvd version although i believe if its not the standard sku its worthless as no games will take advantage of it like the hardrive

Pretty much worthless unless HD-DVD is offered with every single Xbox 360. From a gaming perspective of course, it´d be great to have a relatively cheap HD-DVD player.

A question I asked in another thread may be pertinent here. We've heard about who is supplying various components of 360 like the HDD from Seagate. What DVD-ROM is being used for the 360? Who is supplying it?

This is just wishful thinking IMO. MS is most likely VERY cautious right now of any next-gen format. They're very profit-minded (just look at peripheral prices) and if HDDVD as a format caves in under increasing pressure from bluray after MS invests in it, then MS will take it financially on the chin AGAIN.

They'll wait until the smoke clears, then make an informed decision, knowing that the market for the new version will be limited and that many existing customers will not look favorably on the addition of a new disc format AFTER they already bought their machine.

Almasy said:
Pretty much worthless unless HD-DVD is offered with every single Xbox 360. ... snip.

not necessarily

I think this thinking falls right in line with pay only for what you want/need.

I would not buy the HD-DVD version (which I'd imagine would be a higher priced sku) as I'm not interested in HD movies right now.

I do not think games will take advantage of the storage (to a large degree) and will use DVD for most games in this generation (for both X360 and PS3).

Having it in the system as a 3rd sku would be great for those that want a cheap HD movie player that also plays games.

Ugh, I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster ride with this HD-DVD drive thing...

Well, if they DO include it, good for Toshiba, ostensibly bad for Sony, and is it good or bad for Microsoft? Who can know...

I personally think that Blu-ray will triumph; it seems to have gained a lot of momentum even in the last three weeks. If Microsoft does include HD-DVD playback in the premium version, then clearly that console will cost them more to make. (Though how much an HD-DVD head costs, is anyone's guess...) So, on one hand you have a vast increase in the HD-DVD install base (which is great for Toshiba), but on the other hand you have the momentum for content headed towards Blu-ray (which makes it a gamble for Microsoft). But one can affect the other, of course - a larger install base might dull interest in Blu-ray.

It'll definitely be *interesting* if Microsoft does this. Maybe a little, too interesting... ;)

It would be strange if MS tried to get out an HD-DVD SKU this year.

In recent weeks, the stories have pointed to a delayed or lackluster HD-DVD launch.

Toshiba is said to be the only ones planning to market players and Universal and/or Paramount have put their movie release plans on hold. Meanwhile, even Warners hasn't firmed up their release plans either.

So really, there's no urgency to get out an HD-DVD SKU this year, especially when the drives will cost the most.

But if they were going to support HD-DVD, the thing to do would be to put the drive in every SKU, so that it could be used for games and the volumes would help reduce costs over time.

I would love it since I have a HDTV.

But how can they release a 3rd skew slightly after launch? Are they really gonna screw the early adopters that hard?

I would be choked.

Existing customers would be absolutely *livid* if MS releases another version of the console with a HDDVD drive (or BR for that matter) with short notice any sooner than at least a year after launch, and nobody could say they'd be wrong either.

People want to be able to make informed decisions, and rushing out a next-gen optical drive makes people feel as if they've been screwed out of their money by MS trying to make a quick buck out of the early adopters. Wouldn't work and they know it.

I think it wil happen but not so soon after launch. As said above, maybe after the first year.

Give it time for the format to take shape and for the original skus to settle into the market.

People who were early adopters can always trade in and up.

Why would MS stick their neck out for HD-DVD? I see no reason.
I think they'll wait till the true successor reveals itself.

If MS cared about HD movies, then why wouldn't they get behind Blu-ray. I mean isn't Blu-ray going to be behind the two biggest computer makers that supply their OS? I just makes sense to me.

Or are MS going to be really stupid and back HD-DVD? So I copy my work, music, or home videos on a blu-ray disc on my own computer, but have to buy HD-DVD disc to watch home movies on my home console. STUPID!!!! Why not just back blu-ray so that they could have better consumer flow?

Well, I'd say MS doesn't give a flying twig about Hd-DVD or Blu-ray. Their interest lies in WMVHD. Nothing more nothing less. And, since the format is supported by Both Blu-ray and Hd-DVD it really doesn't make any difference which wins, though I'm sure due to rivalries and such they'd rather have HD-DVD win.

Tap In said:
not necessarily

I think this thinking falls right in line with pay only for what you want/need.

I would not buy the HD-DVD version (which I'd imagine would be a higher priced sku) as I'm not interested in HD movies right now.

I do not think games will take advantage of the storage (to a large degree) and will use DVD for most games in this generation (for both X360 and PS3).

Having it in the system as a 3rd sku would be great for those that want a cheap HD movie player that also plays games.

I don´t necesarily want to start another "is DVD enough for next gen?" discussion, but I have a pretty good feeling games will need more than 7gigs next gen pretty soon. A HD-DVD would help significantly with that. And let´s face it, it´s not very practical to have every other game be stamped on 2 or 3 DVDs, so a HD-DVD drive would be very welcome.

However, if you offer it only as a movie player, I don´t have any interest in it, either as a game or movie fan. As a format, it´s plain clear Blu Ray is a much better solution, and as game media, developers can´t get advantages from it. It´d be pretty similar to what MS did to the HDD, now that it´s separate, there´s nothing it can do that a Memory Stick/SD card can´t, so the incentives aren´t there to get one in the first place.

mckmas8808 said:
If MS cared about HD movies, then why wouldn't they get behind Blu-ray. I mean isn't Blu-ray going to be behind the two biggest computer makers that supply their OS? I just makes sense to me.

Or are MS going to be really stupid and back HD-DVD? So I copy my work, music, or home videos on a blu-ray disc on my own computer, but have to buy HD-DVD disc to watch home movies on my home console. STUPID!!!! Why not just back blu-ray so that they could have better consumer flow?

There are tens of millions of generic computers being purchased, built everyday. These computers will have a mix of BR and/or HD DVD drives in the next couple of years. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back