Xbox 360 HDMI Capable

jvd said:
Take a look at the picture. Its clearly a diffrent wire. Diffrent from the component , composite and vga cable .

Uhm... no it's not different.
The body of the plug is big and rounded, like in all the cables, and it has a thinner part coming out, like any cable on those pictures and like any custom video cables for consoles. You're just not seeing it for whatever reason.

jvd said:
whatever l-b

Don't whatever me! You're the one posting pictures of the same cable from different angles claiming it's 2 different cables! Just to "prove" that MS are supporting something they said they would not support.
Double standards, huh jvd?

Sony "wont have BC out of the box cause they never said they would", but MS will support digital video output even though they even said they do not plan to support it?! Double standards are biting your ass.

jvd said:
Take a look at the picture. Its clearly a diffrent wire. Diffrent from the component , composite and vga cable .
The first pic you posted is the same connector shown in the second pic and the IGN cable pics, just taken from a head-on angle with zoom which compresses the perspective and makes it look 'funny'. The first pic has the same extended silver interface connector as the other pics even though it looks a lot shorter.

Looks the same to me.

cables12dd.jpg

This is DVI

h119DVi4001-o_ends.jpeg

HDMI

h119HDM4H1M-f.jpeg

[Mode JVD]But, ... eh, but ... [/mode jvd]

By the way, on the pics, doesn't the connector on the cable (console side) look exactly the same as original Xbox ?

oli2 said:
By the way, on the pics, doesn't the connector on the cable (console side) look exactly the same as original Xbox ?

No, the Xbox connector is straight on the sides compared to the angled connector on the 360.

well, it seems to me that the pictures from ign are the production level cables and the image posted by jvd is a developement kit cable.

They look to be differnt colors but they seem to be the same cable.

What is more interesting to me is the number of conductors...

360 cable: 28
DVI (as Pictured above) 18
HDMI (as Pictured above) 18

It seems to me there are some extra outputs paths available. HDMI has not been offically mentioned by Microsoft but it is has not been ruled out either (by Microsoft or by known (confirmed) techincal issues). We will have to watch this closely...

MrSpiggott said:
If it is indeed true that the 360 doesn't support digital video output, then I think microsoft have made a huge mistake. All the electrical shops here in Britain are gearing up for HD, quite often there are more HD than SD sets on show. Every single one of them has a HDMI or DVI input because without one you can't watch HD. (Sky and other suppliers have already stated this.) I think the major problem will be component support. There hasn't been a history of consumer component video here, SCART being way more popular. Whilst looking around a shop this morning it struck me that most of the latest mid priced sets, from £1000 to £2000, had HDMI/DVI and SCART (for legacy devices such as DVDs), but no component input.

I can't speak for consumer electronics in the UK, but what you said certainly doesn't apply here in the US. You CAN get HD without DVD and HDMI. You get it over component. The only way that statement is correct is if you are talking about HDCP material, which is not an issue for games. As far as sets not having component, you guys have SCART which the 360 definitely supports.

This is such a lame thing for people to be whining about.

MoeStooge said:
I can't speak for consumer electronics in the UK, but what you said certainly doesn't apply here in the US. You CAN get HD without DVD and HDMI. You get it over component. The only way that statement is correct is if you are talking about HDCP material, which is not an issue for games. As far as sets not having component, you guys have SCART which the 360 definitely supports.

Ahhh but what you fail to understand is that you can't transmit a HD signal through SCART, it was never designed for that. For HD it's digital or component only. Since very little AV equipment in the UK has component outputs it would seem that some of the HD panel manufacturers, when localising their products, are leaving these connectors off.
So this could actually be a major problem.

MoeStooge said:

What does SCART have to do with anything? It's not for HD signals.

Simon Templar said:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1803

interesting bit.....

So maybe the output chip is capable but just not enabled....

Of couse this is not confirmed and could change (like progressive scan was supposed to be on xbox)

HMDI is rusbbish anyway, i remember back when i used to work for seven oaks sound and vission. We did a component vs HDMI test...and component blew it away. HDMI's main problem is the fuzzieness around bright corners ( simular to the fuzz u get from composite )

Im sticking with component

MoeStooge said:

Except that HD-DVD officially said no full-HD signal over analog (which component happens to be). :p I am not sure about BD, though.

So, if you are investing in HD displays these days, it would be stupid to not have a digital interface.

Hong.

hongcho said:
Except that HD-DVD officially said no full-HD signal over analog (which component happens to be). :p I am not sure about BD, though.

So, if you are investing in HD displays these days, it would be stupid to not have a digital interface.

Hong.

This doesn't matter for games though. If Microsoft decides to start using HD-DVD or BD we will probably see HDMI or DVI available. I bet the standalone players are going to be better anyway.

As far as the SCART thing is concerned.....I am an idiot. I always assumed SCART was the Frenchified version of component. I guess it's just a basic RGB. If you have a set that only has HDMI/DVI or SCART then you are prolly going to need a VGA->HDMI converter. I am surprised that sets in the UK would not come with component though. In the US, most sets comes with composite, s-video, component, and then DVI or HDMI and maybe VGA. A quick search of plasmas sold in the UK shows that most accept component- I don't know if that carries over to DLP/LCD/CRTs.

Simon Templar said:
What is more interesting to me is the number of conductors...

360 cable: 28
DVI (as Pictured above) 18
HDMI (as Pictured above) 18

It seems to me there are some extra outputs paths available. HDMI has not been offically mentioned by Microsoft but it is has not been ruled out either (by Microsoft or by known (confirmed) techincal issues). We will have to watch this closely...

Exactly...

scatteh316 said:
HMDI is rusbbish anyway, i remember back when i used to work for seven oaks sound and vission. We did a component vs HDMI test...and component blew it away. HDMI's main problem is the fuzzieness around bright corners ( simular to the fuzz u get from composite )
What on earth are you talking about? HDMI isn't even remotely technically similar to composite video, so how it could display composite-like fuzziness around bright corners is rather puzzling to me. I can only conclude your testing methodology, testing equipment or both was flawed.

As has been stated numerous times by now, HDMI is a fully digital format and technically identical to DVI. It doesn't have any problem with fuzzyness around bright corners, in fact it doesn't have any problem with fuzzyness anywhere. Hook up a flat panel to any PC over DVI, set the resolution to the panel's native res and look for yourself. Even if you rely on the screen's video scaler to adjust screen resolution to the panel's resolution, the fuzz will not be any worse around bright areas than dim, and naturally, the scaler will fuzz up the graphics to a similar degree regardless of if input is DVI/HDMI or component, as by that point the data is digital anyway and looks all the same to the scaler regardless of its source. Actually, fuzz should be slightly less with DVI, as the extra DA-AD conversion steps needed for component input won't be present in the digital connection.

Guden,

Often people comparing Component to DVI / HDMI are milking apples (scaling) to pears (quality of the signal).

Composite over HDMI ...

Back