Xbox 360 HDMI Capable

How is a diagram that says nothing more than "audio/video out" for the video out chip more clear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edge said:
How is a diagram that says nothing more than "audio/vidio out" for the video out chip more clear?
If you read like me "Analog video out" ... (OK, my mistake, i'm too tired)

Ban25, i don't get your point, because to me, the "Analog chip" is the DAC, and the "video out" the physical connector.

> How is a diagram that says nothing more than "audio/video out" for the video out chip more clear?

Besides, that diagram was never confirmed to be an official document. Even if it is, it was a very early document. I'd put more faith on a later (HotChip) presentation.

Hong.

That supposedly leaked document shows the northbridge as a separate chip, when it in final hardware is integrated into the GPU. That's the one major difference, apart from it stating CPU speed as 3.5+ GHz when it in reality settled on the lower 3.2, and memory doubling from 256+ to 512. Other than that, it is remarkably accurate. :)

I have major disagreement with the point of this article :
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

If i completly agree with the first point upon the cables (you have to pay particular attention to your choice and put the money it deserves)

But this ...

That might be true, were it not for the fact that digital signals are encoded in different ways and have to be converted, and that these signals have to be scaled and processed to be displayed. Consequently, there are always conversions going on, and these conversions aren't always easy going. "Digital to digital" conversion is no more a guarantee of signal quality than "digital to analog," and in practice may be substantially worse. Whether it's better or worse will depend upon the circuitry involved--and that is something which isn't usually practical to figure out

About scaling : what is the report between physical connection and digital post-processing ?
On devices that have both YUV and HDMI, the chip used as a scaler will be the same ! (you don't think they will put 2 different ones, no ?)

I agree that you can have couples devices / displays connected as YUV that can have better image quality than other ones linked via DVI / HDMI. There are numerous parameters such as MPEG2 decoders, scalers, Faroudja, DAC, etc.

But we are speaking about equipments here not norms.

If i understood correctly what i have read on HDMI, the digital to digital conversion on digital connexion is simply an encapsultation "à la" TCP / IP. The analog one is a transcoding.

To sum up my view : digital connexion is a step further in quality (as do YUV and VGA from S-Video). After that, the global quality of an installation is related to implementation ... (as always)

All of this talk is just silly. How difficult do you think it is to design a digital passthrough route inside of this "analog" D/A converter? You guys act like the signal NEEDs to be converted. Again just look at DVI-I it can output BOTH digital and analog and i doubt it requires TWO chips. Know what bypass means? :LOL:

µCOM-4 said:
All of this talk is just silly. How difficult do you think it is to design a digital passthrough route inside of this "analog" D/A converter? You guys act like the signal NEEDs to be converted. Again just look at DVI-I it can output BOTH digital and analog and i doubt it requires TWO chips. Know what bypass means? :LOL:

Yes but i think you should chill, matey.

Obviously people will have doubts. MS have never announced that the video port on the X360 is actually capable of carrying a digital signal. Very simple.

So until we have the thing in our hands, the doubts will remain.

µCOM-4 said:
You guys act like the signal NEEDs to be converted.
It has to (TSMC chip, read bellow or google)

I will apply what LB said because there is always "reasonable doubt".

Everything I've read indicates that they will not have DVI or HDMI. If they did I am sure it would be on all the specs they've published so far.

Who cares anyway?

I've already got a nice HD PVR cable box, HTPC, and upscaling DVD player that all have DVI or HDMI connections. I don't feel like spending over $1000 for a Denon receiver that has HDMI/DVI video switching. If I get an Xbox 360 it's going to be hooked up with the component cables. I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer, and I just can't see lack of HDMI/DVI reducing my gaming experience. Fidelity is more important for a movie- where I am less involved and more likely to notice imperfections in picture quality. When I am playing a game (assuming it's not crap) I don't have time to notice small differences. The difference between a high quality component output and DVI/HDMI should be a small one.

The majority of TVs out there still don't have DVI or HDMI inputs. Of those that do, I bet a near majority don't actually benefit from the digital connections. Many will convert to analog right after input. Others are going to have image quality issues that reduce the benefits of an entirely digital chain.

oli2 said:
It has to (TSMC chip, read bellow or google)

I will apply what LB said because there is always "reasonable doubt".

You only need to convert it if you're using an analog output. If you use digital output then the D/A conversion is bypassed.

µCOM-4 said:
You only need to convert it if you're using an analog output. If you use digital output then the D/A conversion is bypassed.
Time for you to chill here. The chance of x360 having digital out isn't relative to how difficult to implement (according to you) it would be to include, but wether MS actually DID IT or not. And looking at the specs sheet (no digital video mentioned), and the announced peripherals, it would truly seem as if they did not.

And you do too need to convert a raw digital signal, by using a TMDS transmitter. You can check wikipedia how the TMDS protocol works, but basically it treats the digital signal as if it was an analog signal and sends entire video frames across regardless of if anything changed on them or not as if they were analog VGA, complete with horizontal/vertical blanking. Rather primitive system, but probably the cheapest way to implement it for use with CRT monitors.

If it is indeed true that the 360 doesn't support digital video output, then I think microsoft have made a huge mistake. All the electrical shops here in Britain are gearing up for HD, quite often there are more HD than SD sets on show. Every single one of them has a HDMI or DVI input because without one you can't watch HD. (Sky and other suppliers have already stated this.) I think the major problem will be component support. There hasn't been a history of consumer component video here, SCART being way more popular. Whilst looking around a shop this morning it struck me that most of the latest mid priced sets, from £1000 to £2000, had HDMI/DVI and SCART (for legacy devices such as DVDs), but no component input.

HD Cable end on.

P1010072.JPG

Looks dvi to me ? http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23018

That looks like either the end you stick in the X360 or HDMI. Definately no DVI.
I'd bet it's the end you stick in the X360, it looks like all other video cables for consoles.
It's the other end we need to be worried about.

jvd said:
Screen Output (HD Cable showing)

This is the end that goes in

It could be very well be the same thing, if you think about the angles. you can even see the white sticky on the side, like in you first picture. And how rounded it is.

It could be , they talk about it in the forum a bit

Originally Posted by chrestomanci
What kind of video cable is that?

The connector looks like nothing I have seen before, Could it be that Microsoft have deleberately created a new connector, so that they can maintian the XBox's clean lines (While having an ungly break out box on the end of a dongle), or perhaps to create something incompatible, so they can charge us $30 for replacement or longer cables.

or it could be that they had to compact the connector to get hdmi digital +analog audio, composite ans svideo out the same hole. consoles always have proprietary connectors.
And whats wrong with the wmv encoder? it isnt the same as movue maker, and its very easy to use imo.

People should stop complaining, if you dont like, dont use it, go buy a ps3, and you wont even be able to do wmv. half doing it is better than nothing at all

No it isn't! That's end is the usualy multi video plug you stick in the console. It's the other end we need to be worried about.

Until MS says they support digital video out, which they haven't yet, the X360 does not support HDMI. End of.

london-boy said:
No it isn't! That's end is the usualy multi video plug you stick in the console. It's the other end we need to be worried about.

Until MS says they support digital video out, which they haven't yet, the X360 does not support HDMI. End of.

Take a look at the picture. Its clearly a diffrent wire. Diffrent from the component , composite and vga cable .

Back