PlayStation 3 European Launch Date and Price

Slay

Newcomer
Ok guys take this at least with a grain of salt (i'll go with a larger quantity)

Word is PlayStation 3 will be launched on 15th March 2006 in Europe and its price will be 399EUR. There is no official announcement from Sony Computer Entertain Europe yet, but we feel this is going to happen pretty soon. As you already know, Sony announced that PS3 will be expensive. It turns out the console will retail for the same price with the premium offer of Xbox 360 from Microsoft. Stay tuned for more news!
http://www.gamershell.com/news/24220.html

*Gets a large dumptruck full of sault poured over his should....thus burying him at the same time.

I wouldn't expect PS3 to be significantly more expensive than x360. At least not unless there's a HDD version of the console too on sale from day one.

Am I the only one to find 299€is very cheap and 399 is an ok price?

dont forget people , ps2 launched at +- 525€ so many years ago (currency adapted to fixed Euro value)

hey69 said:
Am I the only one to find 299€is very cheap and 399 is an ok price?

dont forget people , ps2 launched at +- 525€ so many years ago (currency adapted to fixed Euro value)

No you are not.

I'll be very very surprised if it is even as cheap as 399. I was happy to pay the ~500 euros launch price for PS2 and PS3 seems to offer even more than PS2 at the time. If I can get one for as little as 399 I'll be one happy puppy, but I am not holding my breath on that....

I mean people spend way more that 500 euros on a gfx card these days, and PS3 release has to be a bigger event than NVidia releasing 7800, right?

EndR said:
Not likely..
If the PS3 is to be released in march, it will be in US or Japan, not EU...

Its as likely as MS launching worldwide.
IF this is true its certainly because before Sony didnt have any real threats and have IMO better FABs than TSMC.
As i said before, 90nm is MATURE.

Not really, because MS doesn't have to sacrifice millions of units in Japan to meet NA/EU demand like Sony would. Sony can't really launch anywhere else when they launch in Japan, since they would be ridiculously supply limited, something that would be terrible with the X360 already on the shelves with 60 or so games by then.

EndR said:
Not likely..
If the PS3 is to be released in march, it will be in US or Japan, not EU...

I'd say that launching first i Japan is pretty much a given for a Japanese company like Sony. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a simultaneous launch in another region and why can't that be Europe?

Playstation is very strong in Europe (certainly stronger than Japan and on par with the USA). Also, Europe is getting the PSP last of the big tree markets (comes to Europe 1st September) so Europe may very well get some love from Sony next time around.

I would say that since n.a is the strongest area for ms , sony would want to get into that as quickly as possible and they will launch there before europe .

Anyway i think we will see march for japan and then sept / october for europe and n/a

I think it`s ok that they launch in Japan first. The first batch of units might have some issues that could be corrected for a later launch in US and EU.
The PSP launch for EU was originally planned for march, but Sony decided to reserve all units to US instead.

Well... given the current exchange rates... $399 Euros is about $487 US dollars (averaged up to the standard retail $499.99). This is within the expected price range for the PS3 I was looking at... though still pretty expensive. The release date of March 2006 is out of the question, ESPECIALLY for Europe... I am looking at 2007 for the PS3 to launch over there. I am currently targeting Spring 2006 for Japan, Summer/Fall 2006 for the US, and Winter/Spring 2007 for Europe.

I would think the pricing will be annouced during the TGS next month... so we are going to have to wait and see on this rumor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sony should wait to launch a system until it has 3 million units reserved for each territory. The initial 9 million for all territories would probably be grabbed up within a few months and give the PS3 a nice worldwide install base.

Launching in Japan first would be ideal for Sony since it is a local market and they have complete domination over it.

A simultaneous North America and Europe launch would be ideal. That way Sony can release in two markets at once and have a pretty solid quarter/year with that. It might be tough to coordinate, but I don't think it would be impossible or even that hard. It all depends on how quickly Sony is able to manufacture PS3's.

BlueTsunami said:
*Gets a large dumptruck full of sault poured over his should....thus burying him at the same time.
2_salt_spreaders.jpg

Back