Have you any interest in spectating games?

Do you think you will be a Live! spectator?

• Yes, I'm sure to watch other people playing

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yes, but only for big tournaments

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • No, I'll play myself or not at all

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Don't know yet

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
An interview with PGR3 devs today on CnVG had me wondering about their Gotham TV mode. Does anyone really want to log onto Live! and watch other people playing games, rather than log on and play yourself? This has no appeal for me but maybe others would like it?

Not really, only if

a) i was in a tournament and got knocked out, i might be interested in watchign the finals to see who wins, and also the quality of driving

b) if I had a friend who was in the finals of a torunament or something, then I would probably tune in and watch him race

If they starts giving away cash prizes then I can see the spectator thing gettin pretty big.

I plan to watch tournis and normal play.

I enjoy watching the good players in CS:Source because it has made me a better player as well. So it is nice once in a while watching the best players to learn some new tricks.

Tournis are a given. If I am competing I am planning to go all the way. And when I don't (which will be often considering the competition!) I want to see how those who beat me fair and then watch how the best players in the world do head to head!

And watching my friends, especially if I am waiting for them to end a round can be fun. If I am waiting for my friend to finish a game of Madden so we can have a match and it is the 4th quarter spending 15 minutes watching the end of the game can be fun. And it also lets you in on his style for the day ;)

It depends on the game. I wouldn't mind watching a few PGR3 races, if for no other reason than to see how I could improve my own driving. The concept as a whole is not extremely interesting to me, though.

I wouldn't mind specating a game like Tekken when its somekind of tournament with really skilled players... :D

Most PC FPS games have some sort of spectator mode. It's good for when you eat/drink something and not be able to play that particular round. It gets boring quit fast though.

If I were involved in a tournament I might be interested in watching other races in the tournament. I don't watch sports either though, so I guess its just not my thing.

I remember obsing so much in Warcraft 3 and Starcraft that I almost never played at one point, and only watched others play. I welcome this feature.

Depends on the game. A game like VF or Tekken would be great to watch cause you can see what the experts are doing. And many other genres too.

I think I will like to see skilled players playing the games (depend of the kind, probably FPS, RTS, and team work games should be quite fun), but I doubt I will see anyone, so mostly (1/8 finals up) tournments and/or a rival which I will meet (clan defy or something like).

I most likely will... especially if I can see something cool. Always been a fan of fastest runthrough game vids or crazy stuff. Might not be as interesting without the music those kind of videos usually have, but who knows.

Mefisutoferesu said:
I most likely will... especially if I can see something cool. Always been a fan of fastest runthrough game vids or crazy stuff. Might not be as interesting without the music those kind of videos usually have, but who knows.

Ever seen the Super Mario Bros 1/3 videos? Someone finishing the games in like 8 minutes. And Super Mario 64 is little more than that.

What would be really cool is if you could download what you saw as a "Ghost" especially for racing games :D

Now that I think of it I know a lot of people who like to play against ghosts or even watch them or keep sending me the "Mario 64 beat in 20 minutes" or the video of some dance dance game where they guy types like nuts...

So yeah, it seems MS is on to something. People actually like watching this stuff. Not everyone, but enough that it is worth their time.

l-b, many many times. :)

Though, to be honest, the more I think about it the more I wonder if this is possible. Really, people watch speed runs and such to see something insane or amazing. However these runs are usually very controlled -- very rarely are they natural -- so I wonder how often we would see something in a normal gaming enviroment. More over games now-a-days take quite a bit of time to beat... it's not uncommon to come across an hour to several hours speed run for modern games, which usually aren't too popular. I could see crazy combo videos or such popping up, but I'm starting to question the feasability of speed runs in the Live! environ.

Back