Ah yes, Time For Everyone's Top 10 Games Of 2002 List

Goldni

Regular
I live for top 10 lists. Let's keep it simple here. Only keep your list pertaining to games that you've ACTUALLY played. For example, I don't play PC games anymore so you won't find any on my list. However I do like my GBA so you'll find a few on my list. Same for PS2..my friend and I have swapped out ( myGCN to him) a few times this year so my PS2 list is limited. Here goes:

10. Rallisport Challenge- Xbox- One of my favorite racing games of all time (along with GT3 the prettiest) and the sole reason for me buying an Xbox this year.

9. Super Monkey Ball Jr.- GBA-If you liked SMB, SMB2 for GCN (namely Bowling and Golf) then you must get this title. It's all 3D and beautiful. And is the perfect pick up and play pocket game..and yes you can save on each board for hurried game session endings. You dont have to have a link cable. Golf and Bowling you swap back and forth with up to 4 players..yes VERY cool.

8. Sly Cooper- PS2- Damn fine platformer by Sucker Punch but too short..inexcusebly too short. One rental is all it takes. Too bad the casual fan base of PS2 will let it die on the store shelves.

7. Starfox Adventures- GCN- A really good game. Maybe even a really really good game. Just not a great game imo. I just felt lead by the hand too much. Too linear..yet big open worlds.

6. Ratchet & Clank-PS2- This was one game that made me actually want to go out and purchase a PS2. It had came a long way from the Underground demo I'd played months earlier.

5. Harry Potter-GCN- This could be for any system but I only played it on GCN so all I can say is Eurocom has garnered some respect from me. HP was a pleasent surprise. Flying around Hogwarts on a broom was one my all time neatest gaming moments.

4. Splinter Cell- XB- It's a shame this game came out the same time as Metroid Prime cause I really have'nt had alot of playtime with it. But all I can say is this is Ubi's best game since Rayman 2. It's the best Tactical Stealth game of all.

3. Super Monkey Ball 2- GCN- It's silly Japanese humor but you won't find a more complete singleplayer and multiplayer game anywhere. My Wavebird has been through Hell and back. Great great fun peroid.

2. Super Mario Sunshine- GCN- Huge game that will make you cuss more than anything. Hands down the prettiest water in a game to date. Textures were ugly in some instances yet really good in others. Between SMB2 and this one..my Wavebird has stood the test of time. The camera takes getting used to but this game's overall design is unmatched imo. You'll have more stuff to do everytime you enter a level..or the overworld (town). If you did'nt get at least 15 Shines than you have no idea how great this game is. SMS was my GOTY until.... ... .....

1. Metroid Prime- GCN- You know I had'nt even followed the hype of MP all year until about two months before it arrived. I knew it got game of E3 (with most people's hands ons). I had movies downloaded and everything but I had no idea what I was in for until I popped this disk in my Gamecube. Huge, Huge, Huge game. I have'nt covered this much ground in a game since the first Turok N64. Loads of secrets everywhere. Baddies of all kinds. Things attacking from the air..from under your feet..from behind you.

Puzzles that rival Zelda. Sprawling level design almost like Turok N64 and Half Life with a little bit of Unreal thrown in. The actual level and objective design is probably the greatest of all time imho. Masterpiece from every angle. Unrivaled graphics and sound. Cool ass eerie atmosphere of Resident Evil. Platforming elements of Mario. MP has defined the First Person Adventure genre (Well Thief started fpa imo).
Lot's of wandering might put off some who just want to run through shooting things. And there should have been Turok Style Option included. But MP has made me almost forget about the Rare sellout. In Retro's first attempt (as a team) they've created a game better than Rare ever thought about making (sans for maybe DKC SNES). In fact Metroid Prime maybe the greatest game of all time. I'm still tossing around between it and Zelda OOT. It looks as though the only thing to dethrown MP as best game this generation may be Zelda tWW in a few short months. We'll see.

Most noteables: Eternal Darkness and FFX.

I don't hold any above the other .

metriod
super monkey ball 2
age of myth
Resident evil 0
unreal tourny 2k3.

and um thats all the new games i have played this year

Number one game of all time. Civ 3 . Only game to never be ereased of my hardrive

10. Contra SS: The legeng is back on consoles, nearly as good as the snes version... but lack of bombs, gun power ups, and the upped difficulty are not appreciated... I mean I beat it... but it felt like u had to do more memorizing, and kept me feeling edgy... thus the added challenge took part of the fun factor...

9. SMS Cool but they needed more variety in the enviroments, more stuff, and more secrets... felt more like a spin off... but still chilling

8. RAD The demo rulez... and i bet the game does too

7.MP: Yeah i wanted it with a MGS type 3rd person view... but it's still cool

6. BMX XXX: just j/k...

5.Castlevania HoD: I was dissapointed with the linearity of fusion, it appears that the 2d metroid legacy will have worthy succesors in this and future castlevanias... can't wait for a console version....

4.Age of Mythology RTS RULEZ!!!

3. Wild Arms 3 As i always say a good rpg will always outdo any other type of game...

2. Suikoden III There's magic on this one, only one can surpass this one....

1. Not sure if it came this yr, haven't played it but....
XENOSAGA!!!!!
BEST GAME OF THE YR NO CONTEST!!!!
WORTHY SUCCESSOR TO XENOGEARS!!!
Yrs passed and i lost hope... but rekindling that flame in my heart again.... brought such joy... an indirect semi-sequel/more like prequel to XENOGEARS... (it's better than Planes....)

Yes xenosaga deserves the honor no game no splinter, no metroid, no gta, not even MARIO, only spaceworld zelda, a chrono game, or a sequel to Total Annihilation could possibly challenge this one....
and thus namco has finally done it... they've begun their winning streak.... for the next couple of yrs.... they'll have game of the yr for sure.... with sequel after sequel of xenosaga... it will be hard to beat them....

Xenosaga the series has eclipsed all in story, gameplay, and soon gphx since it will span onto the nextgen... no game this gen will ever surpass it... no game that can run even on the mighty gf fx will surpass it... So the one area where it could be beaten it won't ... the series shall stand as the BEST OF THE MILLENIUM!!!!

In no particular order:

-Metroid Prime: One of the best games I ever played in the last 5 years. Oh yeah, and I just love the control-scheme :)
-Super Mario Sunshine: I expected no revolution but an evolution to Mario64 and I wasn't disappointed. 100% pure gameplay-fun.
-Eternal Darkness: After the atrocious "MGS2: Sons of B*tches" I had strong doubts that "mature storytelling in videogames" was possible. This game proved that it is possible.
-No One Lives Forever 2: Funnier and a better level-design than its predecessor and a damn good single-player experience too. Those guys at Monolith sure have a good sense of humor.
-Icewind Dale 2: I was really surprised by this. I thought the Inifinity-engine had reached the end of its life with Baldur's Gate 2 and two years later Black Isle proves that they're still able to make a very good game with it.
-Metroid Fusion: The relatively strong linearity of the game didn't make it feel like a "real" Metroid but it's still one damn good game. And it looks and sounds great too. 2D gameplay at its best.

you ever play any of the phantsy stars ? Xenosaga was alright but does not compare to any of the phantsy stars

1. Metroid Prime - Not a big fan of the old Metroid games, but MP is an experience unto itself.

2. Splinter Cell - Actually made me appreciate the stealth genre, if there is such a thing.

Others in no order:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Super Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Star Fox Adventures
Morrowind

One game I missed that I really want to play is NOLF2. The first is one of my favorite games, but I'm waiting until I upgrade my PC to give NOLF2 a fair shake.

Noticably absent for a reason: GTA:VC

Goldni said:
blablabla

[l/quote]

pretty good choices 8)

my choice would be a bot different due to release schedule different in Europe (ICO is a 2002 title), and of course no xbox title since I did not played any.

Well RE0 might have been on my list but I have'nt played it yet. Same for Metroid Fusion. It was a great year though. Summer starved us but fall and winter have been great.

pmm

SMB2
Sly Cooper
Vice
HSG3
Suikoden III
Prime
Kingdom Hearts
VF4
SOCOM(online mode)
Need for Speed HP2(ps2 version)
SC(alot better than I thought it'd be)

All in all, been great gaming year(for me anyway :oops: )

In no particular order:

Halo (Xbox)
Rez (DC)
Ikaruga (DC)
Taiko no Tatsujin (PS2)
Gun Valkyrie (Xbox)
Mutant Storm (PC)
Cosmic Smash (DC)
Space Channel 5 pt 2 (DC/PS2)

OK that's not even 10 but it's been a pretty poor year games wise.

1. Jet Set Radio Future
2. MechAssault
3. Splinter Cell
4. Metroid Prime
5. Eternal Darkness
6. Starfox Adventures
7. Quantum Redshift
8. Sega GT 2002
9. NFL 2K3
10. BLiNX

1. Virtua Fighter 4
2. Rez
3. Rallisport Challenge
4. MSG: Federation vs Zeon (UNDERRATED!)
5. MotoGP Online
6. MechAssault
7. Unreal Championship
8. NFS: Hot Pursuit 2
9. Unreal Championship
10. Kingdom Hearts

So-so year, 2k1 was better imo.

1. Mafia
2. Halo (us silly europeans only got it this year..)
3. Splinter Cell
4. Eternal Darkness

others..
Sega Soccer Slam, Jet Set Radio Future, WarCraft III.. Can't think of anything else :(

10.Warcraft III
9. GTA:Vice City
8. Freedom Force
7. Combat Mission 2
6. Fifa 2003
5. Eternal Darkness
4. StarFox Adventures
3. Mafia
2. Animal Crossing
1. Metroid Prime

Back