Wikipedia announces hd-dvd in x360 ?

jvd said:
that would be a big problem for ms if they did that l-b

THey would be basicly giving sony the next gen optical movie format on a silver plater . Next gen if bluray is still the leading platform sony can then deny them the use of bluray in the next xbox . Which would be crippling if there was no other high capacity disc on the market

Bluray uses MS's VC1 codec and MS makes money from that licensing. Seems to me that selling more Bluray would be helping MS, not hurting them.

MS doesn't have any major monitary investment in HD-DVD. Whether it succeeds or fails really makes no difference at all to MS.

PC-Engine said:
MS supporting BR = stupid

MS don't like the copy protection that BR is using so no aint gonna happen heck MS don't like SONY so why support them? :LOL:

MS don't like Sony?

That's surprising, considering that MS provides the OS for all Sony PC's and laptops and MS is licensing the VC1 codec to Sony for Bluray.

Oh and MS doesn't like the Java software BR uses either. MS is in bed with Toshiba and TW don't hold your breath. The most they would do is put in a hybrid BR/HD DVD drive so Xbox 360 could play ALL HD movies.

MS will do anything to make money, and they will share their bed with anyone to get there.

Don't forget that this is the same MS who made a MAC version of Office while Apple was suing them for hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'm not exactly sure that it would be worth it to tack on an HD drive to the Xbox 360. Maybe useful from a marketing standpoint but that's about it.

Blu Ray on the PS3
will be a fully integrated part of the system for games , movies, and interactive content. Should be pretty nice.

The only difference would be that the PS3 could maybe be used for games. BUt it will depend on the speed of the drive, if it's only ~50mbps that's pretty slow for a game that is > 9GB.

A benefit for MS bundling it seperately is that peopel can chose to but the HD-movie player if they want, where as with PS3 80% of the people will never use the bluray yet they are still forced to pay for it.

I would like to see it, it would mean for a simple upgrade you could watch HD movies. ISn't HD-DVD almost dead in the water now though? MS is waiting to see which format wins the war I believe, so we very well might see a BR drive in X360 a few years down the road.

seismologist said:
As for Blu Ray, I think it has alot of potential even for people without HD. Aside from gaming applications the interactivity and interface should be much better and faster than DVD.

I've got to be honest here. When I'm watching a movie, the only interface interactivity I care about is how quickly I can bypass the preview, and how quickly that Play option appears.

I don't think I've looked at the added content of any DVD movie except the short films attached to Pixar movies.

I dont blame you, I hardly ever watch extra content either. It doesn't help that extras are usually on a completely seperate disk from the actual movie.

Blu Ray has a lot of features outside of HD support.
You should read this is you haven't already
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-13627/Index.html

Blu Ray should make DVD's seem fairly primitive in comparison. Of course if all you want is basic movie watching then DVD gets the job done.

seismologist said:
Of course if all you want is basic movie watching then DVD gets the job done.

That's precisely my point. Most people don't want anything more from their DVD than the movie. They want to be able to pop in the disk, hit play, and watch the movie, nothing more.

My own parents are a good example of this. Both are in their mid 60's, and just the other day my mom was asking me about the LOTR extended edition movies. She wants the full set, and was wondering why mine had so many disks. When I explained what the disks were, her reaction was "Do they have the extended edition movies without all of those extra disks? I only want the movies."

There are the movie buffs that want every bit of added content and interactivity you can provide, but they are as rare as the people who spend over $3,000 on a top-tier no expense spared gaming PC. The masses only care about watching the movie, preferrably without having to sit though the previews or some 5 minute long, overly fancy introdoction menu.

In fact, I daresay most people would prefer that movies be like audio CD's. You put them in and the movie plays without anything else being on the disk or the person having to make any further input.

That's surprising, considering that MS provides the OS for all Sony PC's and laptops and MS is licensing the VC1 codec to Sony for Bluray.

Very poor examples to support your position. MS is not selling SONY anything by using BR in their own Xbox 360 are they? In fact if MS used BR in their own console they're actually supporting SONY. There isn't going to be some stupid external HD drive upgrade. Why have a DVD drive then sell another external optical drive? STUPID! Also VC-1 is used in HD DVD too what's your point? Not only that but HD DVD is using iHD which MS developed.

MS will do anything to make money, and they will share their bed with anyone to get there.

Not by selling a stupid external BR upgrade drive.

Don't forget that this is the same MS who made a MAC version of Office while Apple was suing them for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Another bad example. By selling Office on Apple computers, they get users familiar with a MS product which may lead to people going with other MS products like WINDOWS. They also make money. They already got VC-1 into the BR spec, they don't need to sell an external BR drive to make money. They can sell an external HD DVD drive too, but that's still a stupid idea.
ISn't HD-DVD almost dead in the water now though?

I can only laugh at that statement. Why would it be dead in the water? Can you give some examples?

Powderkeg said:
In fact, I daresay most people would prefer that movies be like audio CD's. You put them in and the movie plays without anything else being on the disk or the person having to make any further input.

yeah but these people wouldn't be buying a PS3 in the first place.

I have HDTV so for me it's a no brainer. But even with SD I would want Blu Ray. I dont watch extra content. But I do want my movies to come on one disk and I'm very much looking forward to replacing those horrendous DVD menus with something that's much faster and user friendly.

Pipe dreams my friends, abandon them as HD-DVD looks to be on the losing side of the format wars currently. Also MS intends to profit off of the 360, adding HD-DVD would add how much more cost for a console launching in a mere 3 months?

Li Mu Bai said:
Pipe dreams my friends, abandon them as HD-DVD looks to be on the losing side of the format wars currently. Also MS intends to profit off of the 360, adding HD-DVD would add how much more cost for a console launching in a mere 3 months?

Yep. MS seems to be much more serious about making money ASAP.

My personal take on this is MS sticks with DVD throughout the lifespan of x360, unless they do a hardware redesign in the future (shrinking, a la PS2 or such).

Of course, that's just a guess, but I don't think MS is interested in messing with their consumer base to the degree required by introducing a new disc format.

As for which format they might possibly maybe potentially use, who the hell can say. I hope it'll be bluray, but if it is HDDVD I wouldn't shed any tears. I'll be getting BR for my PC at some point, and a PS3, so if MS goes HDDVD I could potentially get all bases covered... Except of course I'd already be owning a 360, d'oh! :LOL:

I've typed a long reply twice and the forum wouldn't take it both times.

I give up. Short response.

MS doesn't make optical drives so why should they care if they use Sony's?

I said offer both formats, and I said nothing about external upgrades. I said 2 new versions (Bluray AND HD-DVD) at $50 over the standard DVD equipped one. MS gives customers a choice in formats and people have one less reason to buy a PS3.

Windows Vista supports Bluray. Media Center PC and Extender support the VC1 codec. If you can't figure out where I am going with this, it's already possible to watch Bluray movies on the 360, or at least it will be when all of the above have been released. Not only is it simply possible, it's fully supported and MS will even provide tech support if you have trouble getting it working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
MS doesn't make optical drives so why should they care if they use Sony's?

They would have to pay Sony money (royalties) for every console sold with the blu-ray drive.

a688 said:
They would have to pay Sony money (royalties) for every console sold with the blu-ray drive.

Not only that but when it comes time to make an agreement for the next generation of consoles sony may raise the asking price.

Its not smart to depend on your rivals for hardware

Ms would either have to go hd-dvd and hope they can get it the defacto standard

Or go bluray and then hope that hvd or something else non sony controlled is ready for thier next system

Well according to this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.8

VC-1 (Based on microsofts wmv-9) will be standard on blu-ray so maybe a cross liscense would be in effect. It seems that Sony would be dependant on Microsoft's software and Microsoft would be dependant on Sony's hardware format (Which would most likely be produced by another member of the consortium),

Note: I am not saying this is going to happen just that it is not a cut and dried A pays B scenario....

a688 said:

Sony isn't the only company that makes Bluray drives. They could get them from Philips or Samsung, just like they do the standard DVD drives. Sony alone does not own nor control Bluray.

And yes, MS would have to pay royalties for the Bluray movie playback, but that would be paid to the Bluray Group, not Sony, and it wouldn't be any higher than what everyone else has to pay.

And that would be covered by the $50 markup in price I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back