Wikipedia announces hd-dvd in x360 ?

Would be interesting if its done...but it couldn't be for games...most likely movies. Simply because its in the "Premium" version....and by adding HD-DVD to the one version would add another fracture to everything...I wonder if thats the big news or something thats supposed to be coming up.

BlueTsunami said:
Would be interesting if its done...but it couldn't be for games...most likely movies. Simply because its in the "Premium" version....and by adding HD-DVD to the one version would add another fracture to everything...I wonder if thats the big news or something thats supposed to be coming up.

If you sell a hybrid DVD/HD DVD Xbox 360 game, then it doesn't matter that there will be two version of the console, one with DVD and the other with HD DVD since the hybrid HD DVD will work in both versions. If MS plays its cards right then this will happen. The HD DVD side of the disc might even contain more bonus content like extra levels and such to get people to buy the Premium version of the console. HD DVD movie playback would obviously be the main incentive though. More options and more flexibility.

PC-Engine said:
If you sell a hybrid DVD/HD DVD Xbox 360 game, then it doesn't matter that there will be two version of the console, one with DVD and the other with HD DVD since the hybrid HD DVD will work in both versions. If MS plays its cards right then this will happen. The HD DVD side of the disc might even contain more bonus content like extra levels and such to get people to buy the Premium version of the console. HD DVD movie playback would obviously be the main incentive though. More options and more flexibility.

That sounds pretty cool, but would developers go for that? I would think off hand that it would just have developers have this mindset that its a hurdle they have to go through now...either to make the game on a DVD/HD-DVD Hybrid or DVD (or standalone HD-DVD...which probably wouldn't be a good option since there will be people with only DVD drives). I don't think MS would like to put that type of decision on developers.

BlueTsunami said:
That sounds pretty cool, but would developers go for that? I would think off hand that it would just have developers have this mindset that its a hurdle they have to go through now...either to make the game on a DVD/HD-DVD Hybrid or DVD (or standalone HD-DVD...which probably wouldn't be a good option since there will be people with only DVD drives). I don't think MS would like to put that type of decision on developers.

It would of course be optional and not manditory. It's the same thing with movie studios. They have the option of release HD movies on HD DVD only or DVD/HD DVD hybrids to capture a bigger market.

I honestly hated playing DVD's on my Xbox, as it was too loud! It had a very loud humming noise from the fans and DVD-drive. After a few months I broke & bought a dedicated DVD-player, which is completely silent. Much better and higher picture quality.

With all of the power in the X360, I don't think it will be much quieter than the original. So if the X360 gets a HD-DVD just for movies, I won't care, and will get a higher quality dedicated HD-DVD player for movies anyway.

my .02

I still think MS should offer both an HD-DVD and a Bluray version of the 360. They could have the regular DVD version at one price, and the upgraded optical drive versions for $50 more to cover the licensing fees for Bluray.

I'm sure Sony wouldn't mind if MS helped push their format too.

Karma Police said:
I honestly hated playing DVD's on my Xbox, as it was too loud! It had a very loud humming noise from the fans and DVD-drive. After a few months I broke & bought a dedicated DVD-player, which is completely silent. Much better and higher picture quality.

With all of the power in the X360, I don't think it will be much quieter than the original. So if the X360 gets a HD-DVD just for movies, I won't care, and will get a higher quality dedicated HD-DVD player for movies anyway.

my .02

The 360 still uses software decoding for DVD, so it's image quality isn't going to be significantly improved over the original Xbox. Few people use their console as their DVD player since even $75 DVD players can look, sound, and play better, and have more functions.

But, the 360 is much quieter than the original Xbox. The main point behind the liquid cooling was to quiet the system down, and the DVD drive is much higher quality than the original Xbox, especially the Thompson equipped ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
I still think MS should offer both an HD-DVD and a Bluray version of the 360. They could have the regular DVD version at one price, and the upgraded optical drive versions for $50 more to cover the licensing fees for Bluray.

Or offer one HD version with a dual format drive...;)

Powderkeg said:

Not only that, but MS could gain a lot from being on the BlueRay bandwagon. People will see there's a "cheap BR player which plays PS3 games too!" alongside a "cheap BR player which plays X360 games too!". So MS could cut into that side of the market.

Sony will gain from BR being in X360, and MS will gain a lot too. The only difference is that there will be games on BR on PS3 but not on X360.

that would be a big problem for ms if they did that l-b

THey would be basicly giving sony the next gen optical movie format on a silver plater . Next gen if bluray is still the leading platform sony can then deny them the use of bluray in the next xbox . Which would be crippling if there was no other high capacity disc on the market

jvd said:
that would be a big problem for ms if they did that l-b

THey would be basicly giving sony the next gen optical movie format on a silver plater . Next gen if bluray is still the leading platform sony can then deny them the use of bluray in the next xbox . Which would be crippling if there was no other high capacity disc on the market

Sony would never do that, cause they would be losing very easy money. Like saying that Sony will deny their movies to be released on HDDVD (and there's a lot of Sony movies). Or like saying that MS will stop provide Windows to VAIO laptops, just because Sony makes them.
They won't do that cause there's too much to gain on both sides.
Also, MS has no interest whatsoever in what format "wins". The fact that Sony happens to be a big player in the next gen DVD format war doesn't make much of a difference.

Sony has alot to loose . Sony wnats to controll the market . Taking away anything ms can use to help them get more market share is bad for sony .

This gen it would be good as it will help increase blurays survial . But in 2009/2010 when bluray is established(if it wins) then it wont matter about the xbox 3 using . It will however matter if ms keeps gaining market share and eating out of sony's biggest segment .

MS supporting BR = stupid

MS don't like the copy protection that BR is using so no aint gonna happen heck MS don't like SONY so why support them? :LOL:

Oh and MS doesn't like the Java software BR uses either. MS is in bed with Toshiba and TW don't hold your breath. The most they would do is put in a hybrid BR/HD DVD drive so Xbox 360 could play ALL HD movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
The 360 still uses software decoding for DVD, so it's image quality isn't going to be significantly improved over the original Xbox.
Software decoding or not has no bearing on final image quality. If anything, software has the potential to be better than a hardware decoder, as it can be programmed to do things the dedicated hardware wasn't designed for.

Few people use their console as their DVD player since even $75 DVD players can look, sound, and play better, and have more functions.
I use my PS2 for playing DVDs. Besides, without reliable stats backing up your assertion, it is essentially worthless...

The main point behind the liquid cooling was to quiet the system down
It's not liquid cooled. Rumor has it it uses a heatpipe-equipped cooling system, but that's not liquid cooling. That's based on phase change.

Besides,liquid cooling isn't really any quieter than a traditional heatsink/fan. In some circumstances it can in fact be noisier, as you have a pump going also that isn't neccessary with the heatsink. It does tend to be more efficient however as liquid can distribute the heat faster, and over a larger surface. That's also the advantages of heatpipes over a solid traditional sink.

especially the Thompson equipped ones.
Was that those that were prone to catching fire? :)

Back