Damn, what a cooler!

What type of maintenance do water coolers need? Do you need to like drain it every once in a while?

BlueTsunami said:
What type of maintenance do water coolers need? Do you need to like drain it every once in a while?

wouldn't be a bad idea simply due to the impurities in the water... nothing like alge in your cooling system.

It dropped my temps about 2-3c, over my "old" Zalman 7000.

Zal4.jpg

(change the number for closer pics)

Main reason I got it, was to get most of the hot air out of the case, not swirling around. Same for my NV Silencer on my GTX. Hot air out = good.

fallguy said:
Main reason I got it, was to get most of the hot air out of the case, not swirling around. Same for my NV Silencer on my GTX. Hot air out = good.

How did that work out for you? I assume the numbers you gave were for the CPU (load or idle?). This is the reason I am thinking about picking one up (Lian-Li V1000).

PS. It looks like it will be more than a 10 minute swap to get that thing on there with the latch on the perpendicular. Not sure I want to take the mainboard out. Perhaps using hex screws helps?

BlueTsunami said:

Most manufacturers recommend you change the water once a year. Also you should use de-ionised water and some kind of water wetter/anti-algae additive.

wireframe said:
How did that work out for you? I assume the numbers you gave were for the CPU (load or idle?). This is the reason I am thinking about picking one up (Lian-Li V1000).

PS. It looks like it will be more than a 10 minute swap to get that thing on there with the latch on the perpendicular. Not sure I want to take the mainboard out. Perhaps using hex screws helps?

It was for idle, and load.

It was actually like a 5 min swap. The standoffs worked for the new heatsink as well. I took two screws off, took off the old heatsink. Put new compound on, and put back the two screws. Manual says you need to remove the mobo, and put on another backplate.. butI didnt.

fallguy said:
It was for idle, and load.

It was actually like a 5 min swap. The standoffs worked for the new heatsink as well. I took two screws off, took off the old heatsink. Put new compound on, and put back the two screws. Manual says you need to remove the mobo, and put on another backplate.. butI didnt.

You're lucky. You have it mounted the easy way. By perpendicular, I meant that I would have to mount this thing with the latch going through the heat pipes and in this position the screws look to be completely obscured by the heatpipe/heatsink assembly. Or, in other words, my socket is rotated 90 degrees to yours.

What did it do for the case temperature? That's what I am most curious about. Are you using this thing on full blast? I don't really like the sound of the 7000 on high. It's no so much that it is loud, it just has a nasty sound when you can hear it. So, how is your experience with the 9500 in terms of noise at whatever settings you use or have tried?

While I'm already asking questions: Did you find the stock 120mm fans of the Lian-Li to be somewhat annoying and noisy? I have played around, disconnecting them and it makes a huge difference in terms of quiet. Unfortunately, this also makes a huge difference in temperature. I haven't tried swapping them out to compare them to some other 120mm fans. I am wondering if you also find these to be unusually annoying sounding fans or maybe it's just a case of resonance and cannot be cured. This is with Akasa sound dampening foam on the removable side panels.

Thanks in advance.

Back