Xbox360 and Revolution...cloneware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ati has said it is working on two diffrent chips by 2 diffrent teams (inside ati) for the consoles .

xbox will have one and nintendo will have the other .

jvd said:
ati has said it is working on two diffrent chips by 2 diffrent teams (inside ati) for the consoles .

but their CPUs are STILL made by the same IBM.

jvd said:

Not only that but the two teams are restricted from talking to one another about what they're working on so it's highly unlikely that the GPUs will be the same.

and ? DOes this mean that sony , ms and nitnendo all have cloneware systems because ibm designed all 3 chips ?

Even if that was the case (which it isn't). The type of games that are released between the two systems are so very different that it wouldn't matter if they where. Also MS was going for their own fully customized system...so it would be kinda funny that Nintendo gets MS GPU and vice versa.

Nintendo is obssesed with the cost and they never are going to sell a hardware where Nintendo loses money.

I believe that the specs will include an overclocked ATI M28 optimized with 1T-SRAM as eDRAM.

Urian said:
Nintendo is obssesed with the cost and they never are going to sell a hardware where Nintendo loses money.

I believe that the specs will include an overclocked ATI M28 optimized with 1T-SRAM as eDRAM.

Does the M28 support PS/VS 3.0?

Urian

So why were N64 and GameCube sold at a loss to begin with then?

believe that the specs will include an overclocked ATI M28 optimized with 1T-SRAM as eDRAM.

If they were going to use a mobile part from ATI I think it would be something a bit newer then that. I don't think that a mobile part would be very suited to a console anyway. Power saving techniques like automatically lowering clock speeds ect isn't going to help Revolution run cooler. Its a games system after all, so it has to be capable of running at max load for hours on end.

PC-Engine

Does the M28 support PS/VS 3.0?

No its features are very similar to the Radeon 9700/9800 just with increased instruction lengths for pixel shaders and some extra instructions for vertex shaders. But basically its PS/VS 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redundant Redundant Redundant Redundant Redundant Redundant

PPwhat? Oh, no... Did I read PPU? Not this PPU marketing talk again. No, please.

Anyway, do people really want to discuss this topic of the Revolution being nothing else but the X360, again, now, after all the details and evidences proving the contrary?

Vysez said:
PPwhat? Oh, no... Did I read PPU? Not this PPU marketing talk again. No, please.

Anyway, do people really want to discuss this topic of the Revolution being nothing else but the X360, again, now, after all the details and evidences proving the contrary?

Nobody wants to talk about it, except some new guy to the board that doesn't want to do a search before posting old misinformation.

Anyway I think the PPU talk is just a generic way of describing a vector array block and not necessarily Ageia's implementation.

Thread locked: Redundant discussion about incorrect informations

PC-Engine said:
Nobody wants to talk about it, except some new guy to the board that doesn't want to do a search before posting old misinformation.
That's what I was thinking too.
PC-Engine said:
Anyway I think the PPU talk is just a generic way of describing a vector array block and not necessarily Ageia's implementation.
Would that vector co-processor be the, now famous, third mysterious processor? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back