When enough is enough (AF quality on g70)

BRiT said:
I believe this is what FRAPS already does when capturing...

[qoute]Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 1152x864 and 100 frames per second![/QUOTE]

http://www.fraps.com/

It could be possible that demo is going much faster then 100 fps. And Fraps won't turn V-sync on when capturing, it has be manually set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor1 said:
Because I don't see that much shimmering in a game situation. In that demo fine it has a good deal of shimmering. Plus the LOD fix was never used either. Which nV lets you choose the LOD settings in the control panel now.

It was LOD of 0 , the LOD fix would only work if you use a negative LOD.

After watching also the vids from 6800 HQ , i must say that it still isn't on par with either ATI's AI low or off in this case anyway

Razor1 said:
[qoute]Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 1152x864 and 100 frames per second!

It could be possible that demo is going much faster then 100 fps[/QUOTE]

Without fraps the demo can go to 3000 fps or more. With fraps the framerate is limited at the recording framerate. But it can go under that framerate. The hard drive doesn't really like recording at 100 fps ;)

tEd said:
It was LOD of 0 , the LOD fix would only work if you use a negative LOD.

After watching also the vids from 6800 HQ , i must say that it still isn't on par with either ATI's AI low or off in this case anyway

There is a bit of difference, but I can't see a great difference in game, thats what is very wierd. It is still there no doubt but not to the extent in that demo video.

Tridam said:

It could be possible that demo is going much faster then 100 fps

Without fraps the demo can go to 3000 fps or more. With fraps the framerate is limited at the recording framerate. But it can go under that framerate. The hard drive doesn't really like recording at 100 fps ;)

what frame rates were ya getting. When I use fraps, right now on a 6800 gt system, I'm getting around 15 FPS with it on (frame rate counter is on) but its recording at 30 fps. I'm running far cry.

Razor1 said:
Because I don't see that much shimmering in a game situation. In that demo fine it has a good deal of shimmering. Plus the LOD fix was never used either. Which nV lets you choose the LOD settings in the control panel now.
The fact that you don't see shimmering is good, but it's also subjective on your part.

Additionally, the LOD 'fix' is not a fix - it disables the application's ability to set the LOD bias as decided by the developer.

As a side point, just how many modern games do you think are actually using a negative LOD bias by default? I know that UT2004 does on some textures - how many other apps actually set a negative LOD to be 'fixed' by this clamp?

And why is such a clamp necessary in the first place? If the shimmering is due to optimisations then surely it should not be bad in HQ mode with all optimisations supposedly disabled - after all it isn't apparent on GeforceFX or Radeon cards.

With better CPU, memory and hard drive you can get 30 fps.

For these videos I used slomo and recording at 20 fps wit 20 fps then I changed the framerate of the videos.

But I don't think that the point of this topic is to talk about video recording ;)

Tridam said:
With better CPU, memory and hard drive you can get 30 fps.

For these videos I used slomo and recording at 20 fps wit 20 fps then I changed the framerate of the videos.

But I don't think that the point of this topic is to talk about video recording ;)

Just trying to replicate the shimmering hehe. Kinda hard for me to talk about something without seeing it happening :). I beleive its there, but just don't see much of it.

tEd said:
Understanding? Yes how long since gtx reviews have been put up? I don't expect them to have a major IQ article right at the start though i expect that they at least once look at the monitor while reviewing the card and if they are lucky might even have a game running while doing it and then the problem would at least been noticed and then i expect them to tell me what they saw. I recently had some time playing around with a gf6u and checked out AF with quality setting. I started 2 games(q3,ut2004) took me 3-4min. and what i saw was simply shocking , and if some of those reviewers tell me they don't see the shimmering than maybe they should stop reviewing graphiccards.

I understand that there is time pressure but investing 10-20min. starting some games and see how they look and if there are any obvious issues can't be too much to ask.

I completely agree with you. Maybe some reviewers are afraid of losing sample privelages and don't bring this issue to the forefront on purpose? ;)

Well my GTX comes in this week sometime, I'll do a test in the Cry engine anyone want to test out in the Doom 3 engine? Would probably have to use a similiar texture to what Tridam used also, Possible might have to make two sets one with bump mapping and one without.

5150 Joker said:
I completely agree with you. Maybe some reviewers are afraid of losing sample privelages and don't bring this issue to the forefront on purpose? ;)

remove the "maybe" and "?" and we are a bit closer to the truth!

If you chaps want to see texture shimmering you should try EVE Online. That has textures in it that will stretch any AF scheme.

IgnorancePersonified said:
Get a dual core rig and do the recording...maybe it can use the extra core?

Doesnt really matter much, you are amazingly limited by your hard drive when recording with FRAPS and other software such as that.

Best thing to do is use a low resolution. I had no problem making some comparison videos ((not posted)) at a resolution of 640x480 and I'm just using a typical A64 3800+.

andypski said:
The fact that you don't see shimmering is good, but it's also subjective on your part.

Additionally, the LOD 'fix' is not a fix - it disables the application's ability to set the LOD bias as decided by the developer.

As a side point, just how many modern games do you think are actually using a negative LOD bias by default? I know that UT2004 does on some textures - how many other apps actually set a negative LOD to be 'fixed' by this clamp?

And why is such a clamp necessary in the first place? If the shimmering is due to optimisations then surely it should not be bad in HQ mode with all optimisations supposedly disabled - after all it isn't apparent on GeforceFX or Radeon cards.

EXACTLY!!
Someone remind me why I'd want to pay hundreds of dollars for a videocard so I can correct driver settings and mod .ini files for every game just so it almost looks like ATI's output (only now slower, but with HDR and SM3!!!!). I spend my hard-earned paycheck for image quality first, speed second and ever since NV3x, Nvidia's drivers have had more tricks up their sleeve than a politician.

5150 Joker said:

Yep, Toms, [T]ard, guru3d, anand etc etc etc
Quite bad that we're back to 1-2 years ago again :(

This should be something [H]ard can do since Kyle is only into reviewing retail products now so they shouldn't be worried about losing out on a sample board which could easily turn into vaporware.

Gabe323 said:
This should be something [H]ard can do since Kyle is only into reviewing retail products now so they shouldn't be worried about losing out on a sample board which could easily turn into vaporware.

Brent and Kyle just did the bfg 7800gt OC review and besides touting the "superb features" everything seems to focus on "look how good the anti aliasing is" not once are you confronted with anything texture related.

Well I it is just the nature of competitiveness, I could see all kinds of shimmering on a 9800 pro when I went to it from NVs previous offerings, yet people lauded it. I saw shimmering on my x800pe and people lauded it. I don't have a nv40 but ATI started the whole AF mess as far as I am concerned and until consumers show with their wallets that they have had enough of lowering the quality then both companies will have an incentive to slowly lower quality to increase speed since that is what the average joe seems to be most interested in.

meh...

Back