What is the full hardware specs for Nintendo DS?

Guden Oden

Legend
All I've ever seen is the not very enlightening official nintendo stuff, but what are the REAL, COMPLETE specs? Who designed the 3D hardware for example? Is it even hardware by the way, or is it a software renderer?

What about sound specs?

Etc.

I don't know who designed the 3D hardware inside DS but it definitely is a proper 3D graphics chip and not software rendering. It has a fillrate of 30 million pixels per second and also includes a hardware T&L unit capable of 4 million vertices per second (though there seems to be a display limit per scanline). The T&L unit has a configurable matrix processor so it is programable. On the downside its limited to integer ops rather then floats, though I've been told that's not a massive deal. The graphics chip also supports proprietary texture compression though I don't know what kind of compression ratio it uses.

That's all I can think of right now, I don't have a complete spec sheet. But if you want to ask anything else then go ahead and I'll see if I can find out.

BTW sound is handled by the 33Mhz ARM7, that's all I know as far as sound specs go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the GTE on the PSX and the RSP on the N64 were fixed-point as well. The GTE couldn't even screen map vertices with subpixel accuracy - this is why triangle edges on PSX move rather choppily.

don't know who designed the 3D hardware in the DS.

keep in mind, that DS can only handle 120,000 textured, z-buffered, gouraud shaded, lit polygons per second. this is less than Nintendo64, the Sega Model2 board,
the Namco System22 board, the Sony Playstation, the Sony/Namco System11 board,
Videologic's PowerVR PCX1, and the 3Dfx Voodoo1.

DS' 3D graphics capabilities are.... well, we are talking about 3D roughly on par with a Rendition Verite V1000, one of the the earliest good 3D chips for PCs, which came out before 3Dfx Voodoo.

DS's 3D capabilities are extremely minimal, so don't let the 4 million vertices per second calculation speed fool you. that's like PS2's 66M or PSP's 33M or Xbox's 116M

Well, at least the Verite V1000 had hardware bilinear filtering, even if it was often slower than software rendering on (for then) high end CPUs.

I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation of why Nintendo skimped so badly on the DS's rendering capability. MBX was unveiled to the public in way back in the archaic era of Q2 2001; Nintendo should have seen the writing on the wall. Oh well.

Nintendo always skimps on the hardware. Look at how underpowered the GBC and GBA were when they came out.

mech said:
Nintendo always skimps on the hardware. Look at how underpowered the GBC and GBA were when they came out.

Well yeah, but look how well they all sold and think about the profit margin on those things? Amazing....

Well at least they improved the color palette to 4k, supports sprite blending (if ndslib is correct). think monster 2D. or handheld super neogeo..

Historically, as I think Nintendo have said, they've beat of many a more powerful competitor with less powerful hardware. Power is not the only thing people look for in a gaming product. As we can see the masses don't seem to mind, DS outselling PSP consistently (in Japan anyway. I haven't seen figures for elsewhere).

As for reasons though, I'm a subscriber to the 'rush job' theory that they just wanted something new to go head-to-head with PSP. I don't think they've put much into RnD at all into their handheld sector. Look at their latest offering. People were anticipating a portable GC level of spec at E3 and instead we get yet another GBA.

In hand helds, it's all about the playability. (Heck, even first generation cell phones with games sold like hot cakes, though worm game was only included one.) when mainstream players are playing with hand held, they want usually kill some time. NOT experience 15 minutes of HyperMultimedia and WOW effect with strenght of lightning.

My first hand held game will most likely to be Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe for PocketPC. :) Why? No 3D Graphics? No Blood? no violence? yep, not any of those, but it's darn good time eater. :)

Skrying said:
Well yeah, but look how well they all sold and think about the profit margin on those things? Amazing....

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it hasn't worked for them, their strategy has paid off handsomely, but it's irritated me a lot as a consumer.

Nappe1 said:
In hand helds, it's all about the playability. (Heck, even first generation cell phones with games sold like hot cakes, though worm game was only included one.) when mainstream players are playing with hand held, they want usually kill some time. NOT experience 15 minutes of HyperMultimedia and WOW effect with strenght of lightning.

Playability includes hardware though. More powerful hardware can lead to more rewarding game experiences, but most importantly, the screen and lighting of a handheld is SO IMPORTANT. I NEVER played my GBA because I just found it so impossible to get the right angle/light combination so it wasn't like just looking into a mirror.

Megadrive1988

Yeah I've heard that there is a 120,000 polygon per second display limit per screen. But that's not really comparable to peak numbers for those other chips you mentioned. For instance the Playstation could transform 1.5 million raw polygons at peak (DS can transforn 4 million peak). But it rarely reached near 90,000 displayable polygons per second in its best looking games (N64 was slightly more then that). DS should get extremely close to its display limit since its transform limit is so much higher (4 million pps vs 120,000 pps). Also because of this there should be a lot more that developers can do with each polygon and a lot more room for overdraw then with those other chips.

mech said:
Playability includes hardware though. More powerful hardware can lead to more rewarding game experiences, but most importantly, the screen and lighting of a handheld is SO IMPORTANT. I NEVER played my GBA because I just found it so impossible to get the right angle/light combination so it wasn't like just looking into a mirror.

Sure thing.

anyways, my point was that I am not 100% sure Sony really knew what ppl want for hand held gaming when they designed PSP. Of course prettier graphics IS a good thing, but if that used more time for graphics is taken from playability and fresh ideas, then it's a bad thing.

Somehow, though it's not the only reason, I find that ernomous 3D power that develops way faster than games, has been killed off innovation from PC games. If you look at the PC games 5 to 10 years ago, there was much more variation in genres and lot's of new fresh ideas. Even the market was smaller but still publishers were more willing to take risks.

anyways, PSP is still the first hand held gaming device that gave me moment of "I want one!", but again, this idea came from game coming up for it. Not from it's "power in pocket" ideology. :)

What game it was?? umm... don't laugh... it was The Lemmings. :D (There's no doubt Lemmings able to run in DS as well, if there would be version for it. So, games makes the difference, as long as hardware is ok. ;) )

Lemmings does sound well suited ot the platform, as does the upcoming Worms. They've ditched the modern 3D and gone back to good old easy to control 2D. That should be one well worth playing, only I hope they include the PC like napalm burning through the scenery.

mech said:
powerfull hardware can lead to more rewarding gameplay, but it's often not the case. in fact, i bet many people would disagree with you completely on that point (retrogamers and the like). historicly videogame companies who brag about how much better their technology is fall out of the hardware buisness rather quickly. 3do and atari (with the jaguar) were quick to point out their technological superiority to the snes and genesis, sega spent alot of time with both the saturn and the dramcast touting their unbridaled strength compared to the competition (they also did it with the sega CD and 32x)...

anyway, point being that technology doesn't equal rewarding gameplay. software is what determines that in the end. nintendo has had a long history of hitting the right spot in terms of having technology competant enough to allow a broad range of gameplay. the ds isn't any different.

given what i know about your tastes, mech, i find it funny that you complain about the reflectivity of the GBA but have a clear love for the psp. my psp has an extreamly glossy screen, and i find that to make it very angle dependent, especialy in daylight.

powerfull hardware can lead to more rewarding gameplay, but it's often not the case. in fact, i bet many people would disagree with you completely on that point (retrogamers and the like). historicly videogame companies who brag about how much better their technology is fall out of the hardware buisness rather quickly. 3do and atari (with the jaguar) were quick to point out their technological superiority to the snes and genesis, sega spent alot of time with both the saturn and the dramcast touting their unbridaled strength compared to the competition (they also did it with the sega CD and 32x)...

EVERYONE brags about the power of their hardware. A lot of these old school people you're talking about would have said the SNES was awesome - and at the time, it had MUCH better graphics than Megadrive/Genesis, and Nintendo made sure people knew about it. Sony touted the power of the Playstation 2 over Dreamcast - plenty of awesome games there. Microsoft bragged and bragged about how much more powerful Xbox was than the competition - they came second this gen, are definitely NOT out of the business, and have heaps of awesome games. Your argument is a mess.

Without the extra power we couldn't have had games like GTA3. GTA3 isn't possible on a DS but is on a PSP.

given what i know about your tastes, mech, i find it funny that you complain about the reflectivity of the GBA but have a clear love for the psp. my psp has an extreamly glossy screen, and i find that to make it very angle dependent, especialy in daylight.

I haven't had any problems viewing my PSP screen.

sorry, mech, but it's your argument that's a mess. i can tell you that as an owner of both psp and ds. and if you don't take my word for it just check the handhelds sale charts.

darkblu: If you'd care to point out where you disagree with what I've said, then actually do so rather than post vague statements that achieve nothing.

And what do sales charts have to do with anything I've said in this thread? If anything they back up what I've said (that Nintendo's strategy has made them a lot of money in the handheld space).

mech said:
EVERYONE brags about the power of their hardware
i was talking about companies who's marketing strategy almost solely "our technology is superior". the industry is full of examples. 3do did it, apple did it, atari did it (with the jaguar) and it didn't work. sure, sony hyped up the ps2, and quickly changed tactics as soon as they got some worthy software. the same tactic worked for nintendo with the snes. more powerful hardware doesn't automatically equal better games, it's a time proven fact.

mech said:
Without the extra power we couldn't have had games like GTA3. GTA3 isn't possible on a DS but is on a PSP.
i'm really not sure what you're getting at here. games like driver 1&2 and die hard trilogy (the driving parts) show that mission based, drive anywhere type games are capable on hardware as archaic as the ps1. hell, driver 2 got ported to the GBA and was pretty gameplay intact, all things considering. what's so special about GTA3's gameplay that i couldn't be done on the DS? the DS has already proven itself at least as competent as ps1.

mech said:
And what do sales charts have to do with anything I've said in this thread? If anything they back up what I've said (that Nintendo's strategy has made them a lot of money in the handheld space).

salecharts show one simple thing - that fact that the consumer does not equate 'power' to gameplay experience. and the vendors are well aware of that, to the point that some of them actually exploit that fact.

Back